IGNORED

Do you warm up?

Flav
Note: This thread is 3317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These days, I go to range to "groove" my swing as someone put it.   I try few swings each - 3/4, wedges, irons, hybrids, wood, and driver to see what's working that day.     If I have time left, I will putt a little just to remind myself of "pendulum swing" motion.   On a new course, I will putt more to get a feel for the green speed.   In general, these warm up routines help with my score but the correlation is not very strong.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always try to give myself enough time to hit some balls beforehand and putt at least.

My ideal warm-up:

• Begin by getting limber. This is stretching. I like to do a mix of static and dynamic stretching. Not very long for this - maybe 5 minutes at most. I'm still young and spry.
  • Hit a small bucket of balls, to shake off cobwebs and to see how I'm hitting today. I tend to start with a pitching wedge, move to a mid-iron, and then hit driver. The main thing is to see what my driver is doing today so I can figure out how to play it properly. I finish with a half dozen half wedge swings or so.
  • Hit ~5 bunker shots. Gets me feeling the sand. And a lot of short game shots that I have are similar to bunker shots, so that helps with that. If I have time, I'll hit a few more chips, but that's not really necessary.
  • Finish up with putting. I like to work on 15 foot putts and then longer, lag putts as well. I'm mostly trying to calibrate the speed of the greens here. Then, I'll finish up with a few tap-ins, just for the confidence. Then it's off to the course!

Takes me about 30-45 minutes. The only real time I won't warm up is if I move up my tee-time at the course and end up going out earlier than I anticipated. I can play without warming up, but I don't play as well, which means less fun.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Same routine for the last 20 years.

Limber up by stretching.

Make damn sure I don’t have any #2 balls in the bag.

Gentle swings with an 8-iron to loosen up. I never hit balls.

Putt for 8-10 minutes or as time allows.

A good piece of advice to stay limber for a round of 18 – WALK, don’t ride.

First, I'm a nationally certified massage therapist. Do I follow my own advice? No.

Today I'm dealing with a bad knee, and as a result of favoring said knee, I now have a hitch in my back. This is from moving a refrigerator and doing some plumbing. But I do have a recommendation.

Salutation to the sun. It's a yoga series of postures that is basically a whole body stretch. Very gentle, but really stretches the whole body. Understand, I'm not an idiot. I see yoga as a healthy stretch and strength thing, not a cure for cancer. I would recommend doing this series a few times.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

Here is a male practicioner doing the same series over and over. If you observe, you can see how all the major muscle groups get a very fluid stretch. You don't have to do it at this pace. The longer you hold each position, the more stretch you get. He's doing it at actually quite a fast pace, which is more cardio. But these are great and gentle moves. slow it down.

In the bag:
Lady Tiger Shark 5 Hybrid
Lady Tiger Shark 9 Iron
Adams a70S Hybrid Gap Wedge
Adams Lady Fairway 1007 Putter

It takes me like 40-50 balls to really get warmed up/lose and feel good about my swing.  I'd prefer to have that happen on the range instead of the course so I go to the range every time one is available.

Always. A little stretching, some swings to loosen up on the range (don't try to work on anything pre-game, just loosen up the swing) and some lag putting on the putting green.

Bill M

I use a dynamic stretching routine suggested by golf fitness trainer Kevin Hensel: http://www.fitness-nutrition-weightloss.com/golf-warm-up-exercises.html

It takes about 15 minutes. (Hensel also recommends some static stretches after your round, when your muscles are still warm.)

I have an arthritic hip, and if it really feels stiff I'll stop off at the gym for 10 minutes on the elliptical bike.

I also carry some limited distance golf "wiffle" balls in my bag. If the course has no range, I'll hit a dozen easy shots with the wiffles to get my motion down.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I see that video - "I've fallen and I can't get up."

Yes, I warm up. I have my coffee and breakfast in the morning, and when I get to the course, I stretch. I stretch out my back, shoulders, ribs, legs, then I go see if I have a swing. I buy a bucket and hit some quarter and half swings, then some full swings. It takes me about 15 balls before the bones start loosening up and the ball goes where I want. I'll hit maybe 30 balls out of the 50 ball bucket. Then I'll go lag putt for 20 minutes.

Once I'm done there the foursome is about ready to get called to tee off.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I loosen up before the round.  Usually takes 35 minutes or so.  I start with putting a few, then chipping a few to get the rhythm.  Then I go the practice tee and hit a few, 15-20 balls, with a couple or irons, a hybrid and the driver.  After that I play a couple of "synthetic holes" before heading the the first tee.

Butch

These responses, which seems like 90%... That only "stretch" before playing their game and don't believe in a warm up on the range etc.... is interesting.

If the green fee includes use of a range or a bucket of balls I definitely make use of them but those aren't things I'll pay extra for.

I find it interesting also. I generally start on the putting green for about 15 minutes, lag putts and a couple shorties. Then usually a small bucket of balls. Stretching before.

These responses, which seems like 90%... That only "stretch" before playing their game and don't believe in a warm up on the range etc.... is interesting.

Not all clubs have a range.

For many that do, the range isn't close to the first tee.

A lot of players don't want to hit off mats if that's the only option.

Given the opportunity, I think most players would love to hit 50 balls or so.

Problem is, the opportunity isn't there for everybody.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres9

Not all clubs have a range.

For many that do, the range isn't close to the first tee.

A lot of players don't want to hit off mats if that's the only option.

Given the opportunity, I think most players would love to hit 50 balls or so.

Problem is, the opportunity isn't there for everybody.

I find this is the case at a lot of course here too.  I do like to warm up and hit some balls when I can, but I don't hit a lot.  25 or so is sufficient.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Over the years, as I make improvements to my swing, I need less and less warm-up before teeing off.  Years ago I used to spend 30 minutes stretching and swinging clubs like a madman in order to get loose enough to even make contact with the ball on my first swing.  As my swing has improved, it also has become simplified and requires far less athleticism.  These days I spend about 10 minutes on the putting green to get a feel for the speed for the day, take maybe six swings to warm-up and I'm ready to go.

Randal

Note: This thread is 3317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!