IGNORED

Low pitch shot that checks up and stops HOW?

Note:Β This thread is 3303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Just wanted to add one other thought.

Distance is a key to determine when to attempt his type of shot, along with the slope of the green.

Also, when green slopes away (downhill) the ball will roll out more.

An example when not to attempt would be less than 20 feet or greater than 35 yards to the pin.

20 feet to 35 yards is a comfortable distanceΒ to play.

Reason being, the shot must be hit with aggressiveness.

Level or uphill play toΒ a level or green which slope towards the player is favorable.

Cub Rat

Less than 20 feet?

From a few feet to 15 yards, Phil M has a shot -- it's open the club and then open stance so club is square to line, play the ball in front, weight on front, break the wrists, and voila, a consistent, soft low chip.

Or you can do the soft little pitch that Mike and Erik teach

One can use a variety of shots, depending on the lie and green.

For the high spinning low pitch, it is an aggressive turn to the left on the downswing and it's tough for me to play it under 40 yards.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find when I slightly thin a pitch it is going to spin a lot more than if I catch it normal. Issue is, when you don't plan for it, you end up flying the ball past the hole and it takes a BIG hop forward and stops. Usually that one hop can leave you a pretty good distance away.

Don't misunderstand, I absolutely agree with him.

I just want to be there the first time the average 20 hcp tries to implement it! :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For the high spinning low pitch, it is an aggressive turn to the left on the downswing and it's tough for me to play it under 40 yards.

I can probably get a consistent 1 hop and stop from 30 yards. Inside of that, there will be some significant roll out. I agree, the farther out the pitch the easier it is to have it check up.

Don't misunderstand, I absolutely agree with him.

I just want to be there the first time the average 20 hcp tries to implement it!

result, line drive 20 yards over the green, drops ball to try again, 10 yard short of the green :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Less than 20 feet?

From a few feet to 15 yards, Phil M has a shot -- it's open the club and then open stance so club is square to line, play the ball in front, weight on front, break the wrists, and voila, a consistent, soft low chip.

Or you can do the soft little pitch that Mike and Erik teach

One can use a variety of shots, depending on the lie and green.

Not saying it's impossible, but for the average player a difficult task which one can certainly learn.

Other criteria certainly comes into play. Wet soft Zoysia turf is a truly a tuff experience.

Another one would be playing toΒ an elevated green with aΒ front pin with no green to work with fromΒ about 10 feet off the front of the green.

Very tricky and precise to pull this one off even for the best

Mike and Eric's examples are a great method and examples as you mentioned.

Good to hear from you again, Dr. Desmond

Keep up the great posts, always a pleasure to here your comments.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Almost always into an upslope is the preferred condition to play this shot or a lot of green in front and a tight lie is important.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I can probably get a consistent 1 hop and stop from 30 yards. Inside of that, there will be some significant roll out. I agree, the farther out the pitch the easier it is to have it check up.

So do you use this shot regularly and how do you hit this shot (what club technique ect...)?

Here comes negative cipher.Β  Personally, and IMO this is one of the most useless shots in all of golf.Β  Just sayin'Β  Gawd I sound like @Shorty , cept I can't write in proper English.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

Here comes negative cipher.Β  Personally, and IMO this is one of the most useless shots in all of golf.Β  Just sayin'

Agree.Β  I barely have a use for a standard chip shot anymore either.Β  I see no reason to try and get fancy with different types of shots when the pitch shot that I have learned, and have been improving upon all the time, will work in pretty much every situation.

So do you use this shot regularly and how do you hit this shot (what club technique ect...)?

Don't really use it much at all. Mostly because I haven't mastered the standard pitch yet. Right now my pitching mostly consisted of first, solid contact. Second, pray it got close.

When I practicing a bit last night, I was messing around trying to hit a variety of shots. One was trying to spin the ball a lot.

club, I typically use my 56 degree wedge. I just prefer how it sits behind the ball compared to the 52 degree.

As for the swing, it would be hard to describe. For me, the finish feels more abbreviated than a normal pitch shot. After watching that video, I would agree that it feels similar to that. The hands clear fast, not hitting down on the ball aggressively, just really trying to zip the club under the ball. For me it's trying to not let the clubhead past the hands as much in the swing, with a lot of speed, but in a pitch motion.

Here comes negative cipher.Β  Personally, and IMO this is one of the most useless shots in all of golf.Β  Just sayin'Β  Gawd I sound like @Shorty, cept I can't write in proper English.

Pretty much. Really, I don't think I ever hit this type of shot in the past 5 years. I find majority of the time, just hitting a medium to high trajectory is good enough for a lot of the shots, depending if you want the ball to hit soft or not.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Here comes negative cipher.Β  Personally, and IMO this is one of the most useless shots in all of golf.Β  Just sayin'Β  Gawd I sound like @Shorty , cept I can't write in proper English.

Why's do you feel that way?

Seems like the guys that get squirrely around the greens always struggle to score well. I played with a kid a few weeks ago that tried to flop everything. If he could have got a putter on it to a hole on a flat spot in the green 15 feet away he tried to hit it 30 feet in the air to get it there. His putts coming back were longer than the insane shots he attempted. Crazy thing was when he didn't pull it off, which was never, he tossed his club in anger. I don't get it.

Dave :-)

Seems like the guys that get squirrely around the greens always struggle to score well. I played with a kid a few weeks ago that tried to flop everything.

LOL, that reminds me of one of my old friends.Β  He could be on short fairway grass and 16" off the green with the pin 20 feet away, and he'd still try and hit a flop shot.Β  It was hilarious.Β  He did it all the time too.

Why's do you feel that way?

Because the shot does not have a lot of forgiveness(most golfers will fat it a bunch)Β and it is hard for a ball to roll in the hole that stops on a bounce.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5)Β :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI)Β :benhogan:Β Icon(4-PW)Β :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:PutterΒ :snell:Β MTB BlackΒ Β 

Because the shot does not have a lot of forgiveness(most golfers will fat it a bunch)Β and it is hard for a ball to roll on the hole that stops on a bounce.

Three years ago I was taking lessons with a new pro, and asked him to show me how to hit the shot.

"When you break 80..." he said.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

I was actually hitting these pretty consistently during the Erie outing. A good quality soft covered golf ball is a must for me to be able to pull it off though. I haven't been able to do it since then though, just seemed to be the only thing I could do right that day.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

Three years ago I was taking lessons with a new pro, and asked him to show me how to hit the shot. "When you break 80..." he said.

Well I better head to a par 3 course ;).

Note:Β This thread is 3303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!