IGNORED

Made a big mistake.

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing public course with guys i don't know. On third hole hole, par 5 over the canyon, i noticed player C tee his ball forward of the tee marker, by about 4 inches.  There was no doubt.

Stoopid me.  I said to him 'the rules indicate balls not to be played forward of marker'.  He turned and gave me a mean and nasty glare.  I meant no harm.  He did not move ball back to proper place. I said no more to him that day about the rules.

Later in day, i gave myself a 2 inch gimme putt.  He again glared at me.  No one's perfect.

Best advice you can give to this golfer is "none". You don't know him, you aren't playing in a tournament, or for money. There really wasn't any reason to mention it, because nobody likes to be told what to do, or be embarrassed in front of others. Did it really matter that much to you that he was 4 inches in front of the tee markers? Also, if you are going to get that picky, you should putt out and not take gimmies.

• Upvote 3

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I never worry what the other guy is doing, or thinks, as long as it has no effect on what I am doing. This is good advice that was shared with me a long time ago.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

You didn't have to point it out quite like that. Some people can get defensive when they feel like they're wrong and being corrected. Perhaps it would have went better if you politely reminded him that he was teed up in front of the markers. Gives him the chance to save face.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Playing public course with guys i don't know. On third hole hole, par 5 over the canyon, i noticed player C tee his ball forward of the tee marker, by about 4 inches.

I said to him 'the rules indicate balls not to be played forward of marker'.

Just curious. Why?

I said to him 'the rules indicate balls not to be played forward of marker'.

Why not just say "Hang on - I think you're in front of the markers." in a friendly way. You're doing him a favour.

Your ridiculous sounding formality comes across as pompous and aggressive.

It's not as if it's an obscure rule. Just say "Mate, you're in front of the markers."

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Yes, that was a biggie.

But then, we've all made biggies.

If you don't know him and you're not playing for money, play on.

As the member above stated, if it doesn't affect your play...  play your game and have fun.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

You did the right thing by making him look like the terd he is. I just wish i was there to dish out sone "justice" on his smirky smile. But u never know if the other guy is touched and he might lose it if u confront him. Best to use a common vodoo doll with almost no features so it can be used on anyone u want. Not to do permanent damage but to maybe give him bubbleguts or instant boner that wont go away. I dont want to fight your fight, just be creative and think of your own illness

He might have been just upset thinking that you were just trying to get into his head when he's getting ready to tee off, and later on taking a gimme. I'm just getting used to seeing this type of stuff by playing so often. Like people kicking out of divots, throwing my ball back to me from an 18" putt, driving up when I'm teeing off, not giving me honors when they expect it, etc. People are people, don't let it get to you. Just remember that you're out there for exercise and fun.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Completely unnecessary, and there's a good chance it was a simple mistake. We're talking 4 inches here after all....

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Yup, I don't care what others do, kick the ball into a perfect lie every shot for all I care, and I prefer others treat me the same and not comment on my play, so while I wouldn't do such a thing and play by the rules I would not take to someone making a comment about my game, because it's all on me.

LOL....too funny!!

If you aren't in a $$$ match, definitely keep your thoughts to yourself.   Most golfers on every public course don't carry a HC or play by the rules.   So long as they don't hold up play, put other golfers at risk of injury, or tear up the the course.......I don't care what they do.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I'm a big rules aficionado, but I don't call out other players if I'm not in a match with them them.  They can throw the ball on the green for all I care if it doesn't affect pace of play.

If I see someone doing something wrong and I think it's because they don't know the rule, I'll say, "Just checking - you do know that would be a penalty in a tournament, right?"

Hahaha....just Imagine this.........pairing up with a stranger!  Pairing with a guy who just lost 3 balls in the Canyon on the 3rd hole at Stone Canyon.  One of the easiest holes on the course because it's a short golf hole..................very easy with accuracy!  Miss the fairway by 10 feet, and you may need to reload all day long!! Hehe

I say ........."Hey SOB............no free drops allowed, tee it up until you can find flat ground homer!!!!

OK, not...........I wouldn't say this.......just saying this would be stupid!! We could be here all day!!!...and it's only the 3rd hole...one of the easy holes at that!! If I paired with a guy that lost 2 balls, I would beg him to take a drop on the GREEN!!!!   this is true..................just say it..........don't spray it! High HC players will lose a ton of balls......a fact.

"TAINT NO" worm burner making it to that fairway...........LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

You did the right thing by making him look like the terd he is. I just wish i was there to dish out sone "justice" on his smirky smile. But u never know if the other guy is touched and he might lose it if u confront him. Best to use a common vodoo doll with almost no features so it can be used on anyone u want. Not to do permanent damage but to maybe give him bubbleguts or instant boner that wont go away. I dont want to fight your fight, just be creative and think of your own illness

That is one of the funnier comments I have ever read.

If you had said the same thing to me, I would have thanked you, moved the ball back and continued to play.  And taking a 2 inch gimmee is perfectly fine in my book.  You are correct, however, that many people will react poorly to Rules advice.  Lesson learned.

Brian Kuehn

It's all in how the comment was made.  If I didn't know you and you said it was you wrote it, I'd have thought you were a jerk.  If you said it in a friendly, looking out for me kind of way I'd have thanked you.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3444 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!