IGNORED

The Sand Trap Forum is One Decade Old Today

iacas
Note: This thread is 3421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

On November 30, 2004 I launched this site.

Ten years is kind of a long time.

It's never been better, guys.

I want to send my warmest thanks to each and every one of you. Even those out there who disagree with me more often (in some ways, I'm particularly thankful for you, to a point… :D).

Particular thanks to @mvmac who has made the last three years better, and to the great staff we've had or have, including @jamo , @tristanhilton85 , @mchepp , @georgep , and new members @billchao , @nevets88 , and @boogielicious .

If you have a story about how and when and why you've joined, this might be a good place to share them.

Thank you guys!!!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congratulations. This site has definitely had a huge impact on my golfing career(career is probably the wrong term but I like it). There's more useful knowledge here than anywhere else which is awesome. I also would have to say it's been nice getting to know some of you weirdos who frequent this fourm. Keep up the good work. Hopefully we will be doing this in another 10 years and maybe by then everyone will understand that distance is more important than accuracy ;).

Thanks for maintaining this site Erik and valuable golf info and for the advice given to me specifically I appreciate it very much! Thanks to @mvmac for initially pointing out all of my flaws and convincing me to join evolvr and even getting me started with the analysis.. The fact that he took the time to video tape him self to show me what to do really shows how vested he really is in teaching his students.. Thank you! I joined this site after a out 1.5 years of golf limbo, I was looking for answers and ways to improve. It started with reading something's on new ball flight laws and eventually I saw a couple of my swing threads.. I lurked for about a month until I had the courage to put my self out there in my own swing thread.. That was almost a year ago last month.. There are some truly good guys here that I am happy to know via the forum and share the golfing and other things with them, it gives me a place to vent and share random things! Congrats guys

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Well done iacas! And the rest of you staffers! It's a great site, if not the best!,.. for chatting golf and sourcing info! And with some great characters too, from @shorty's biting grumpiness, to @earnest jones' playfulness, not to mention @lihu @jamo, @mvac and many others super friendly helpfulness, it's the only site I keep coming back to! Here's to another 10!!

Gaz Lee

These forums grow up so fast. Sniff, sniff.  The time has flow by.  Congrats on ten years.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

IMO, if this site has stood the test of time it's because of the common culture of the founder, moderators, forum leaders and members who simply love the game.

As is the case with any group of people, attitude is contagious. This site could have been started by someone who was openly judgmental, snobby, and condescending. It would have attracted like-minded members and it would have promoted those types of attitudes and posts.

Fortunately, I see very little of that sort of attitude here. It's not that it's a group of pushovers who are afraid of confrontation. But there seems to be a high level of respect between the better, more experienced players and those who are not.

The diversity is also kind of cool. You have +2 players and beginners. Some who are really traditional and others who are not. Some who will call you out in no uncertain terms on the smallest error (which is not a bad thing), and those who are as tactful as can be when discussing a topic.

On almost every thread, you'll have different levels of disagreement. The one constant being you'd better bring logic to the table and you'd better pack lunch if you're going to argue a point.

On a personal note, I have almost no one to discuss golf with and good instruction in this area is hard to come by. The fact that so much of my life seems to revolve around the game and in improving might seem odd to many. But to all the crazy bastards on this site, it's normal. As a result, most of the things I believe to be true about golf I learned or formed an opinion on from being a member here.

So, thanks to those who always seem willing to help. And congratulations Erik.

Jon

Congratz...If were not for this site, I'm pretty sure my golf game would not have progressed as well as it has.

If you golf, you need to be a member of TST. :beer:

Congrats! @Iacas and the rest of your staff .

Always birdies and pars, Henry The room for improvement is vast that three lifetimes could be spent roaming the fairways,carving away at it, convinced that prefection lies just over the next rise. And that hope,perhaps,is the kindest bliss of all that golf bestows upon its devotees. - John Updike

Outstanding... Sent from my iPhone

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

That's awesome! Well done @iacas and all. It's been fun watching the forum and site evolve.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Ten years is really a great accomplishment for an internet forum, and for it to be going as strong as this one is now is even more impressive. [quote name="Hammer 4" url="/t/78397/the-sand-trap-forum-is-one-decade-old-today#post_1080465"]If were not for this site, I'm pretty sure my golf game would not have progressed as well as it has. [/quote] Totally agree with this comment.

Michael

Congrats and thank you to Erik, Mike and the rest of the staff for all that you do!

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Man, ten years. That's awesome. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/78397/the-sand-trap-forum-is-one-decade-old-today#post_1080433"]If you have a story about how and when and why you've joined, this might be a good place to share them. [/quote] February 2007. I was probably just looking for a place on the internet to talk about my new love, golf. In Summer 2006, I started taking lessons, having gone to the range a few times beforehand and finally owning a set of irons and, with the "cold" Southern California "winter" just ending, I was getting back to the range in anticipation of playing that spring and summer.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I came to The Sand Trap about four years ago when I was looking for some information on the Scotty Cameron Custom Shop. A Google search turned up a review of the custom shop that Erik had posted back in '05 and I found the article to be exactly what I was looking for. I lurked for a while, but ended up joining pretty quickly. I looked at a couple of other forums and never found the same quality, which kept me here. A couple years later, I saw a posting that Erik was looking for a Bag Drop writer and I decided to give it a try.

Golf has been something that I loved ever since I started playing in high school, and this site has only helped that even more. It's a great place to talk to others with the same interests and it's been great meeting many of the site members. I didn't think when I joined that it would turn into a place where I not only logged in every day, but also one where I'd make some good friends and become part of the staff.

Erik, thanks for running such a great site, and thanks for letting me be a small part of it!

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Congrats!! And thanks.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Congratulations. This is a great site, and one that actually gives good tips on improving your golf.

Good job to those that have made this site what it is today!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3421 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!