IGNORED

Big Break Palm Beaches Discussion Thread

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Robert was the better golfer but didn't play smart, didn't play to win. All he had to do was be accurate off the tee, either tee down the driver, or go with a long iron, whatever gets the drive accurate, every good player must have that shot in their bag, and obviously Robert either doesn't, or isn't smart enough to know when to use it, so for that matter, I think we won't see much of Robert, and I don't see Richy or Justin making it so this class of Big Break is probably a bust for real tour contenders.

I saw a quick interview segment with him, and he was at the Masters this year, and he was surprised how many people were cheering him on, hoping he would win the season.

And based on the shirt he wore in this last episode, I'm guessing that wasn't his first trip. ;-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just watched the episode, and after the approach shots on the first hole, I thought it was going to be an incredible shootout. Robert was furthest from the hole at 8 feet, and Justin closest at around 3 feet.  But Richy was the only one to get the birdie, surprisingly.  The whole episode seemed like that- mostly good shots, but Robert and Justin just not delivering when it counted, with Richy doing just enough to stay in front.

I think those 6 holes (I loved the simple format of 6 holes BTW) came down to missed "green zone" putts by all of them, and 3 wayward full swings (2 by Robert and 1 by Justin). Robert had his chances to sneak through but he just couldn't deliver (or recover from his misses).  Robert had too many mistakes this episode, and clearly "earned" the defeat, but on other days, you get the sense that he could've cruised to the finale.

Robert is very good-natured, classy, and sportsmanlike. I'll be cheering him on in his career, although I don't see him competing too much thus far in 2015. I think he's still playing the Latin America tour, but he has some sort of conditional status on web.com.

His world ranking is now 650, but it was better than that late 2014:

None of the other competitors play events (or have done well enough in events) that count for OWGR points. He needs to get back to his strong finishes he was getting last year in Latin America. If he plays some on web.com, he'll need to take full advantage. Those will be his real "big break" opportunities. I saw a quick interview segment with him, and he was at the Masters this year, and he was surprised how many people were cheering him on, hoping he would win the season.  Must be tough to keep the secret for so long, as I think the show was filmed in September 2014!

Richy and Justin say they've played a lot in the past and know each other's games, but I don't see them intersecting too much in their careers from what I've researched, as Richy is 3 years younger, I think. The only tourney I know they competed together was the December 2014 Q-school, where Richy qualified for web.com, but Justin didn't. Based on that, I think Justin needs this "break" more than Richy- plus he's been working at it for longer.  Richy has the web.com tour to prove himself.

My gut still tells me Richy will methodically out-duel Justin over 18 holes, and Justin might force the issue a bit because he knows his lack of length hurts him. Justin got a bit aggressive on the 18th hole prior to the playoff because he seemed a bit pressured by Robert's length. Instead of playing his own game, he tried to go for the green over the water and dunked it.

All season, his money game was wedges and putting. I think if Justin is going to beat Richy, he will do it by sticking to the amazing strengths we saw all season.  If he sticks to his strengths and doesn't feel the pressure of trying to match Richy off the tee and with going for the green on par 5's, he definitely could keep applying pressure to Richy.

Richy has not yet shown he is as strong on this show as his record shows he is. He's just very methodical and not flashy. I see some flashes of Jordan Spieth in him- his looks a little bit. But also his swing (kinda mechanical looking?) and style of game somehow. Anyone else? Obviously not nearly as good, but he does remind me a bit of Jordan at times. Probably just me.

I thought Richy's bunker shot was really sharp - showed good touch under pressure.

Wondered if Robert couldn't have tried a Mickelson open-faced cut across the ball, stick / leave the club in the sand but gripping down to limit the power. Might have worked okay since the lip wasn't too high and there was green for it to run out. Then he might at least have had a putt at it.

Kevin

Robert was the better golfer but didn't play smart, didn't play to win. All he had to do was be accurate off the tee, either tee down the driver, or go with a long iron, whatever gets the drive accurate, every good player must have that shot in their bag, and obviously Robert either doesn't, or isn't smart enough to know when to use it, so for that matter, I think we won't see much of Robert, and I don't see Richy or Justin making it so this class of Big Break is probably a bust for real tour contenders.

I think Robert was most impacted by the poor condition of the course and it got in his head.  His main advantage was distance and he got little if any roll out on his drives.  I also think the wet greens were much slower than he was used to which messed up his distance control.  He had two putts lip out that might have gone in if his speed was better.

I think Richy or Robert can make it to the pro level but Justin isn't long enough.

Joe Paradiso

I think Robert was most impacted by the poor condition of the course and it got in his head.  His main advantage was distance and he got little if any roll out on his drives.  I also think the wet greens were much slower than he was used to which messed up his distance control.  He had two putts lip out that might have gone in if his speed was better.

I think Richy or Robert can make it to the pro level but Justin isn't long enough.

How long is he?

I don't remember him standing out as a short hitter during any of the distance competitions - only Chad and Clay.  And on his short drives this week, they all agreed that they were mishits.  "Drop kick pop ups" I believe was the term they were using.

All in all, this season has been quite refreshing.  I don't know what the ratings were compared to past seasons, but if I had my druthers, I'd prefer they skip trying to create drama with the cast (Anthony, Mary, etc) and just get the best golfers that they can find.

Watching Roberts buried bunker shot on replay....pretty bad swing he made. That ball was plugged so I figured he would pound it and hope to get on the green. When watch his swing he does a very small flip that barely moved the ball. I agree with the post earlier that none of these guys really have PGA potential. Justin just isn't long enough since he doesn't have Zach Johnson's skills. I see Richy winning but that'll be the last we hear of him.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

How long is he?

I don't remember him standing out as a short hitter during any of the distance competitions - only Chad and Clay.  And on his short drives this week, they all agreed that they were mishits.  "Drop kick pop ups" I believe was the term they were using.

All in all, this season has been quite refreshing.  I don't know what the ratings were compared to past seasons, but if I had my druthers, I'd prefer they skip trying to create drama with the cast (Anthony, Mary, etc) and just get the best golfers that they can find.

He's longer than I thought, according to pgatour.com he's averaging 303 yards per drive, guess he really did mishit.  There weren't any stats for Robert.

I agree about the season, it was one of the best ones in a long time.  I hope the rating reflect that viewers would rather see good golf over drama.

Joe Paradiso

Watching Roberts buried bunker shot on replay....pretty bad swing he made. That ball was plugged so I figured he would pound it and hope to get on the green. When watch his swing he does a very small flip that barely moved the ball. I agree with the post earlier that none of these guys really have PGA potential. Justin just isn't long enough since he doesn't have Zach Johnson's skills.

I see Richy winning but that'll be the last we hear of him.

I think he was afraid to do a full chunk & run because of the water on the other side of the green. He intentionally hit it into the bottom of the bunker. Other options could have been the swing I considered (a gripped down pop). Do what he did, but try just a bit harder & maybe get on the green or roll back to where he ended if he didn't. Or hit backwards away from the green for a better lie & angle in the rough.

He's longer than I thought, according to pgatour.com he's averaging 303 yards per drive, guess he really did mishit.  There weren't any stats for Robert.

I agree about the season, it was one of the best ones in a long time.  I hope the rating reflect that viewers would rather see good golf over drama.

I agree for good golfers in general, with some occasional less skilled 'characters' and pretty Symetra players mixed in for variety.

Kevin

From what I have seen based on the play during the series..........................it's hard to argue the two finalists didn't deserve to be in the final.

....and that is all I have to say about that!  LOL  (forrest gump reference)

If I was a betting man, Richie will lose in the finale.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

If he's averaging 303 per drive, he should be sufficiently long.  I'm not sure where this idea that he was a shorty came from.  Maybe just he last episode?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I had Richie and Justin in the finale from mid-season.  Despite all the good players this season.

Still......Robert had a lot of chances to make it to the finale.  It was his to lose, even with Justin helping him out by missing the birdie on the first hole.

Just really pleased to see these guys all hitting approaches very close to the pin time and time again.  Fun 6 holes to watch.  Especially when you know the course and have seen the pros playing it.

Conditions vs when the PGA is playing was very interesting - softer all around, the water isn't pristine and has the biologicals floating on top.  Still a gorgeous course.

I like the play off all 3 of these guys.

I'm rooting for Richie.  But impressed with Justin's approach shots.

I wonder how the 3 would have played when the course is all setup for the pros?????

IMO - best season I've seen so far.  Despite the lack of drama.

Bill - 

IMO - best season I've seen so far.  Despite the lack of drama.

I thought this was the most boring season to date. And I fell asleep about three times during the finale.

What's In My Bag...
Driver: Callaway Razr X Black 10.5*
FW / Hybrid: Nike T40 4W 17* / Nike CPR 24*
Irons: Callaway Razr X HL 5I-SW
Putter: Nike Method Core Putter
Balls: Nike PD Soft

I was trying to keep score, and then lost track/interest, but at the time that Justin had made his 4 birdies in a row, I believe that he was 5 under, while Richy was 3 under.  (I assumed a par for Justin and a double bogey for Richy on the hole where he conceded from just after his bunker shot.)

After that I know Justin made 2 or 3 bogies, and Richy at least birdied 17, so I'd guess they both shot somewhere in the vicinity of 68-70.

I'd say that's pretty danged respectable given the course and the stakes.

Well done boys.

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought the finale was pretty interesting.  Richy jumped out to a +2 lead then Justin won 4 holes in a row to take a +2 lead.  Richy caught up and won with some clutch putting and a great tee shot on 17.

The preview of their new show "Altered Course" doesn't look like something I'll be interested in but I'll give it a try.

Joe Paradiso

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought the finale was pretty interesting.  Richy jumped out to a +2 lead then Justin won 4 holes in a row to take a +2 lead.  Richy caught up and won with some clutch putting and a great tee shot on 17.

The preview of their new show "Altered Course" doesn't look like something I'll be interested in but I'll give it a try.

I thought the show was interesting as well. I am happy a Boston kid won! Tough in these parts to grow up playing constantly. That new show looks a bit off to me, I wonder if it is a new big break spinoff to fill in time before the fall premire.

callaway.gif Razr Fit 8.5* Stiff

callaway.gif Big Bertha Hawkeye 3W

callaway.gifFT Fusion 2H, 3H

callaway.gif  X-22 Tour 5- PW PX 6.0

vokey.gif SM5 48-08 FG
vokey.gif SM5 54-10 SG

vokey.gif SM5 59-07 SG

Note: This thread is 3222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!