IGNORED

What advice would you give Tiger?

rcarat
Note: This thread is 3373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm shocked how bitter Haney is towards Woods.  Those are some very harsh words.  Woods must have hurt him bad in '10.  Sad to see a friendship turn that sour.  I personally just dont buy all this 'yips' nonsense.

Here's Paul Azinger saying the exact opposite...

Azinger: Woods' chipping woes could be fixed 'in minutes'

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/azinger-woods-chipping-woes-could-be-fixed-minutes/

I agree with Azinger when he says that Tiger has "gone from artist to engineer and he's taken the feel out of his game".

I can't understand how Tiger hasn't quickly solved this chipping thing. When I have issues with my chipping, I go to the short game range and figure it out pretty quickly, mostly by feel. If my pro is around, I'll have him take a look, but I can usually figure it out myself. It doesn't always transfer 100% to the course, but that's mainly because I am an amateur golfer and my head is not screwed on straight in relation to the game. I sometimes fear the result and lose concentration on the execution. If Tiger is thinking like that he is in big trouble, but I can't believe that. Tiger has to be over-engineering this thing.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do not think that a guy I fired 5 years ago when things were completely different, who I have not talked to since, would have a very good idea of what is going on in my mind or what my current mindset is.

I agree, Hank doesn't know Tiger today and may not have known him that well when he was his swing coach.

Joe Paradiso

While I think Haney is a blowhard, he has MUCH more insight to Tiger's mindset and therefore, his current mental state than any of us, having worked with him 10 years. He knows how TW thinks 1st hand. We glean that from watching tournaments, interviews, etc. I do think he has an axe to grind and grind away he does but to suggest he does it from the same knowledge base as us is incorrect.

I do not think that a guy I fired 5 years ago when things were completely different, who I have not talked to since, would have a very good idea of what is going on in my mind or what my current mindset is.

I agree, Hank doesn't know Tiger today and may not have known him that well when he was his swing coach.

Perhaps he wouldn't have a good idea of what's going on in Tiger's head today, but you said that he doesn't have any more insight into Tiger's mental state than we do.  I agree with @Gunther on this one.  Even if Tiger has changed a lot, Haney still has a heck of lot more to base his opinions on than we do.

Perhaps he wouldn't have a good idea of what's going on in Tiger's head today, but you said that he doesn't have any more insight into Tiger's mental state than we do.  I agree with @Gunther on this one.  Even if Tiger has changed a lot, Haney still has a heck of lot more to base his opinions on than we do.

Well, with corroboration as credible as that, I need say no more. ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

..to play as many tournaments as he can for the next 6 months... Simply dull out the  mental portion of golf by beating it into submission. Range work and practice rounds seem to be ineffective since he is striping it during these.

Vishal S.

How old are his eyes? Sun all day. The Ultra Violet damage alone must be significant.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

How old are his eyes? Sun all day. The Ultra Violet damage alone must be significant.

Unlike his front tooth, I believe his eyes are original so I would say that they are the same age as the rest of him. Sorry! I couldn't resist! But to your point, I doubt he has any issues with his eyes that have not been addressed. He just has the yips.

Unlike his front tooth, I believe his eyes are original so I would say that they are the same age as the rest of him. Sorry! I couldn't resist! But to your point, I doubt he has any issues with his eyes that have not been addressed. He just has the yips.

He wore glasses and contacts in his youth and had had Lasik surgery (possibly twice - I sorta remember that but am not sure), but I doubt that his current woes have anything to do with his eyes.

I think it is just a matter of time before he bounces back.  I think we forget the depths of his fall in the 2010-2011 years before bouncing back and winning 8 PGA Tour events in the next 2 years.  I remember the same "he's through" and "he should retire" talk then.   We had all of the same silliness of every one and his brother in the world of golf offering their solution to his problems.  And then he won more times over the next 2 years than anyone else.

People have always been quick to write him off and they have been wrong every time, so far.  I'm going with the odds.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

[QUOTE name="9424tm" url="/t/79679/what-advice-would-you-give-tiger/126#post_1102092"] Unlike his front tooth, I believe his eyes are original so I would say that they are the same age as the rest of him. Sorry! I couldn't resist! But to your point, I doubt he has any issues with his eyes that have not been addressed. He just has the yips.[/QUOTE] He wore glasses and contacts in his youth and had had Lasik surgery (possibly twice - I sorta remember that but am not sure), but I doubt that his current woes have anything to do with his eyes.   I think it is just a matter of time before he bounces back.  I think we forget the depths of his fall in the 2010-2011 years before bouncing back and winning 8 PGA Tour events in the next 2 years.  I remember the same "he's through" and "he should retire" talk then.   We had all of the same silliness of every one and his brother in the world of golf offering their solution to his problems.  And then he won more times over the next 2 years than anyone else. People have always been quick to write him off and they have been wrong every time, so far.  I'm going with the odds.

I recall hearing his eyes were 20/10 in his prime. No way that keeps up.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Perhaps he wouldn't have a good idea of what's going on in Tiger's head today, but you said that he doesn't have any more insight into Tiger's mental state than we do.  I agree with @Gunther on this one.  Even if Tiger has changed a lot, Haney still has a heck of lot more to base his opinions on than we do.

True, but we're 100% speculation, Haney is 80%.  Still mostly speculation.

Joe Paradiso

Billy Horschel and Como. Working on short game according to Tweet. Wondering what advice is being dispensed.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Billy Horschel and Como. Working on short game according to Tweet. Wondering what advice is being dispensed.

Horschel is probably giving him bad advice so he can beat him tomorrow and Friday ☺. It is cool that the guys help each other out.

the thing is, he can hit short game shots all day on the range/practice green.  he just cant do it on the course, apparently.

Colin P.

Horschel is probably giving him bad advice so he can beat him tomorrow and Friday ☺. It is cool that the guys help each other out.

Yeah, I can hear it now.... "Tigs, if ya.just keep your weight back, get a little steeper, and flip a little more, you'll be back in form in no time!" :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yeah, I can hear it now....

"Tigs, if ya.just keep your weight back, get a little steeper, and flip a little more, you'll be back in form in no time!"

LOL

"Give it a baseball bat grip and make sure to help the ball off the ground.  Big wrist flip.  It's all in the wrists, tiger."

They appear to be standing less than a club length from him.  I guess pros know exactly where that club is going to swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Tiger tracker said chipping during practice round was shaky. Doesn't sound good.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 3373 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!