IGNORED

Patrick Reed depicted as a win-at-all-costs competitor and accused of cheating in a new book excerpt

foreleft
Note: This thread is 3340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have always been one to think that any article that includes "unnamed sources" is just not important. It might have some entertainment value, but that's all.  Any article that includes  unnamed sources, or any information given under the condition anonymity is just a story.  Anyone who tells a media person, or a writer anything has a name, and should be named. Pretty much why I don't pay much attention to today's media, regardless of the subject matter. Just the way I roll I suppose.

In some of the cited instances I agree (theft, cheating), but Reed did something to get kicked off the golf team at Georgia and the Augusta coach seemed to own his statements which were consistent with the "unnamed sources" regarding his attitude and relationship with team mates.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

None of this changes my opinion on Patrick. It's come out now in the last year from many different pros that Patrick is a completely normal and favorable person to be around. We all have our skeletons, I'm completely positive that I'd come out looking like a PoS if writers went to my hometown and asked..."hey, how was he when he was 17?"

Reed probably still has some major growing up to do, but it looks like he's going in the right direction.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfritchie

So many of us do stupid things when we are 17, honestly stealing $400 and lieing about it is no different then 80% of the golfers who don't turn in low scores to skew their handicap and then enter a tournament and win prizes from those of us who do turn in every card.

I'd like to see the honest stats of 18 and under boys who shoplifted or stole something. I'd bet it is upwards of 75%.

I did some of the stupid things he did when he was 17 (notably getting smashed a fair bit in my first year at college). I didn't pinch things and I hope I've never been a sandbagger (mind you, I'm not sure I've ever really had the game for that).

The really intriguing bit, though, if it's true, is this business of stealing $400 from a locker and than flaunting it in the locker-room the very next day. A psychologist would have a field day with that.

Yes, this was actually the most disturbing aspect of the $400 incident.

So many of us do stupid things when we are 17, honestly stealing $400 and lieing about it is no different then 80% of the golfers who don't turn in low scores to skew their handicap and then enter a tournament and win prizes from those of us who do turn in every card.

I'd like to see the honest stats of 18 and under boys who shoplifted or stole something. I'd bet it is upwards of 75%.

Sorry, but I just don't equate the two things you exemplified. There are many reasons for not turning in a card, but there is no reason to steal money from a fellow teammate's locker (or from anyone). There's a big difference. I agree that both are wrong, but they are not the same.

None of this changes my opinion on Patrick. It's come out now in the last year from many different pros that Patrick is a completely normal and favorable person to be around. We all have our skeletons, I'm completely positive that I'd come out looking like a PoS if writers went to my hometown and asked..."hey, how was he when he was 17?"

Reed probably still has some major growing up to do, but it looks like he's going in the right direction.

I will agree with this.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I will pass on making judgment about what happened at Georgia as the evidence is largely circumstantial and he was a cocky, insufferable 17 year old kid that the other players clearly did not like.

What I find troubling is the relationship with his family. His parents helped him get where he is today, and there is something wrong with a person who denies his family like that. I hope he grows out of that, for his own sake.

Bill M

I think the tale of the missing $400 lacks credibility.  I would like to hear Reed's account of everything surrounding that.  First of all, why would a golfer leave that kind of cash in the locker room?  Was it in a wallet?  In an open locker?  Then why would Reed flash money around the next day?  Heck, why would Reed flash money around for any reason at all unless he truly did win a bet against a professor who would back his story?  Then why would a professor bet money on golf against one of the nations top amateur golfers anyway?

Then the putter.  What the heck is Reed going to do with a Scotty stolen from a teammate?  Pawn it?  He can't use it in competition so really there's no point in having it, even for practice.  I guess we're left to conclude it was another episode of Reed kleptomania.

Seems just as likely Reed became a convenient scapegoat as it is that he was the locker room thief.

The one instance of suspected cheating is a lot more believable.  Bad, but it doesn't seem like he could have cost anyone else a golfing career because of it as he was already at or near the top of his sport.

Could the issues between Reed and his parents be more the parent's fault?  Not really our business, but a lot of people are commenting as if he is being cold toward his parents, but maybe there is a good reason he is staying away from his parents...

• Upvote 1

Issue with the parents is completely different. Look at how things went down with Michelle Wie. It was a toxic relationship. Rest of the story is fishy on both sides.

Colin P.

Different from what?

A big part of the story is his estrangement from his parents and people in the comments here and the original article's comments were saying that its terrible that he is so cold to his parents....I am just saying that we know nothing about the situation, but for all we know there could be good reason for him to keep his parents out of his life.  If he had life-long issues with his parents, could that have played into the issues Reed showed in college?  Could it have anything to do with the thing that none of his Georgia teammates will talk about?

Total speculation and none of our business, but it was an interesting article and this is a golf forum, so...

Could the issues between Reed and his parents be more the parent's fault?  Not really our business, but a lot of people are commenting as if he is being cold toward his parents, but maybe there is a good reason he is staying away from his parents...

Maybe. But the article makes it appear that the family is reaching out, while he and his wife are hiring bodyguards. I can't imagine what his younger sister could have done to him that he completely ignores her.

Bill M

He seems like a nice enough guy and he's got crazy talent. His personal life is his own and I enjoy watching him play. I liked him ever since the top 5 comments. Good for him; I welcome any time the players let their guards down and don't act completely anodyne.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I havent read or seen anything yet. its the piranha attack of idiots that I would stop. Here. Now. I have seen this guy play as a young man and I am about to give him a little room.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

While watching Reed start his round at TPC Sawgrass last May, I remember Reed being the only one to talk to the gallery members, he was acknowledging them (nodding) as well while standing at the first tee waiting to start his round......the others? They were stoic as hell as if they were in a funeral procession.  I don't know if the allegations are accurate about him being a thief, cheat, bully - but my impression while watching him play on the tour is that he was someone the tour needs more of......the game is rather boring with a lot of these stiffs.

While watching Reed start his round at TPC Sawgrass last May, I remember Reed being the only one to talk to the gallery members, he was acknowledging them (nodding) as well while standing at the first tee waiting to start his round......the others? They were stoic as hell as if they were in a funeral procession.  I don't know if the allegations are accurate about him being a thief, cheat, bully - but my impression while watching him play on the tour is that he was someone the tour needs more of......the game is rather boring with a lot of these stiffs.

Being lively and approachable on the course is a HUGE plus. It was what blew me away about Phil Mickelson when I saw him in action in person during the second round of the 2004 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits. Phil was so great with the fans. It made a huge impression on me and it is why I will always be a fan of Phil's.

I find it really strange that his parents tweet about the relationship.  That's pretty cringe-worthy in itself.

Not all parents are great, not all kids are great.  If one chooses to cut out the other from their life, that's their own business and most likely 100% justified.  Who would willingly forfeit a healthy relationship with their mother or father?  Son or daughter?  We as golf fans will never get the Reed family's 25 year story, nor are we privileged to it.

Edit: on a lighter note, Patrick Reed 6-0 match play in college??  He rocked at the Ryder cup last yr, wonder if his match play performance (and overall to boot) will lock him in for years to come?  Oh and a rookie shushing the crowd... what's that word they use... swagger ??  This guy loves it.

Interesting read but can't say I'm shocked.  Only part of the story I disagree with was the first paragraph.   Sorry, I don't think he looks powerful, I think he looks fat.   As for cheating in tournaments and stealing from teammates, those are pretty serious accusations and I would have preferred they were substantiated or not included in the piece.

If you play sports at a big-time university like Georgia, things can get rough if you don't get along with your teammates. The wrong ball in the rough... did this happen once or all the time? Sound like just once... and he's not the only one in golfdom to address the wrong ball in the shag.

The missing stuff and money, sounds like innuendo. Was there a police report on it. How much $$ was in the "wad of cash?" Did the guy who lost the stuff really think it was Reed, or was it just an outburst because he and Reed didn't get along.

Again, a lot of innuendo and rumor.

He's aggressive and wants to win. He's probably a bit gruff with the press, so he's going to be a target of the talking heads and scandal-book authors.

And, he's going to get under the skin of the former country clubbers with weak psyches who ended up on the pro tour.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I agree with @WUTiger nnuendos and rumors.

If someone wrote a book on anyone based on the person's "enemies", a lot of innuendos and rumors would come out.

Have to take this with a grain of salt.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3340 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!