IGNORED

Dufner @ Honda less 20 lbs - Jason Dufner looks like a lean mean golfing machine

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Holy shit Dufner. But I do agree, that picture makes him looks slimmer, but sick. I'll have to see him live at the Honda to compare. That picture honestly makes him look like he is going through radiation treatment right now.

That might just be the lighting. He's backlit in the recent picture, silhouetting him a bit. It dims the subject and makes him appear unhealthy. This is one of the tricks they use in those before/after photos you see in advertisements all the time. Lighting has a tremendous effect in how we perceive subjects in a picture.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Darren Clarke:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/theopen/10978263/The-Open-2014-Darren-Clarkes-weight-loss-pays-fat-dividends.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-2692796/Darren-Clarke-sheds-four-stone-gym-ahead-The-Open-Hoylake.html

Quote:
“If you’ve got 50 pounds or 60 pounds sitting in front of your gut, you’re going to swing a lot slower through the ball than what you would do otherwise,” Clarke said. “And I kept leaving the club behind me.

'I’m twice as strong as I was before and feel much better , not just physically, but mentally.

Clarke has the same "look" Dufner has. I need to lose some weight myself. I'll take the picture on the right any day. Never thought I'd be inspired by Dufner, but I am.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Maybe it's psychosomatic? A small percentage of people can't curtail the appetite, can only hold it off so long, it affects their everyday competency in doing things? Once they've gone back to their usual eating habits, things are back to normal?

Typically you are correct. The hormone called Leptin is like insulin in that it creates plateaus. When you are overweight your leptin levels become use to that level. So when you binge diet your body hasn't gotten use to that binge level and will regress back towards when you were most stable before hand. The body does not want to starve.

I've found that I can "trick" my body a little bit by eating lots of pan fried dark green vegetables. There is just enough oil to cook them, but not enough to really add to the caloric intake. Dark green vegetables only need half a teaspoon of oil or so for a pan full of vegetables.

The oil tricks your body into thinking it has eaten more calories than consumed and the vegetables provide very little caloric intake.

I am still not at my target weight, but I have managed to keep 25 pounds off from when I started 2 years ago even through holiday eating habits.

My wife gets these packages of dried seaweed at Costco. Delicious potato chip substitute. I'd even go as far as to say that I may even prefer them to chips now.

The ones at Costco are pretty good too. We also buy popcorners and Sun Chips. For a well rounded diet, you know. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

To me, he looks more like the typical pros on tour do now.  Sure, some have more muscle, etc. but most are pretty lean guys.  Always funny when folks says someone who loses weight does not look healthy, but they did when they were fat?  Same things were said about David Duvall when he lost a ton of weight.

Personally, I am in the midst of losing a bunch right now.  Gained around 25 lbs when I sustained a back injury. If anything, I do not think my game is going to get any better, but I will at least be able to not have so many aches and pains, be able to walk the course much better, and have a lot more flexibility in my swing. I am putting a ton of time into my core strength which should help add some yards to my swings, but overall it comes down to being healthy, feeling good, and looking good which all can help your confidence and mindset in anything you do especially when it comes to playing sports.  Who doesn't think about putting on a tighter golf shirt and having a great physique instead of man boobs or a fat stomach showing through it??

y'all are saying that because you know what he looked like before.  he DID NOT look healthy before.  he looked FAT.  as in obese, which never looks healthy.  he is an active person, who is taking in the calories that he needs to do the work of each day.  if he wasnt consuming the necessary calories theres no way he would be able to practice enough to keep his game up, let alone walk the course.

He did not look obese. Maybe by definition he was but to me Dufner looked like a guy who had a gut and was maybe 20 pounds overweight. When I think obese, I think John Daly a few years ago when he was swilling Colas.

He did not look obese. Maybe by definition he was but to me Dufner looked like a guy who had a gut and was maybe 20 pounds overweight. When I think obese, I think John Daly a few years ago when he was swilling Colas.

Agree 100%.  He had a big gut but wasn't at all obese.  I would definitely not go so far as to say he looks too skinny now - I think he looks quite healthy - but he wasn't obese.

Quote:
"If I didn't do it, I wasn't going to be able to play golf," Jason Dufner said of his weight loss last month. "I missed the playoffs, missed the defense of my PGA Championship. More than likely missed playing in the Ryder Cup because of it. So, not really ready to give the game of golf up yet."
And so Dufner knuckled down. He didn't really change his workout plan but he completely overhauled his diet, which he says is 80 percent of the reason for his weight loss. He went 11 straight weeks without any fast food, chocolate or peanut butter, and continues pretty much gluten-free nowadays: No sugar, processed foods, alcohol or soda. He lost 20 pounds in all.
"The first five days sucked," Dufner said. "I felt terrible, I laid in bed for five days, literally. Headaches and not feeling good. But trying to get all that toxin out of you."

Dufner sounds woozy and disoriented. Maybe it's low blood sugar. Is he really saying that a few extra pounds was threatening his ability to play golf? I thought it was a neck injury. And that last quote with its sentence fragments and what not, is a little incoherent. He might have lost some pounds but he has also lost the rosy glow from his cheeks. Also he should've kept the hair at least, then maybe he wouldn't look so weird right now.

Quote:

"If I didn't do it, I wasn't going to be able to play golf," Jason Dufner said of his weight loss last month. "I missed the playoffs, missed the defense of my PGA Championship. More than likely missed playing in the Ryder Cup because of it. So, not really ready to give the game of golf up yet."

And so Dufner knuckled down. He didn't really change his workout plan but he completely overhauled his diet, which he says is 80 percent of the reason for his weight loss. He went 11 straight weeks without any fast food, chocolate or peanut butter, and continues pretty much gluten-free nowadays: No sugar, processed foods, alcohol or soda. He lost 20 pounds in all.

"The first five days sucked," Dufner said. "I felt terrible, I laid in bed for five days, literally. Headaches and not feeling good. But trying to get all that toxin out of you."

Dufner sounds woozy and disoriented. Maybe it's low blood sugar. Is he really saying that a few extra pounds was threatening his ability to play golf? I thought it was a neck injury. And that last quote with its sentence fragments and what not, is a little incoherent. He might have lost some pounds but he has also lost the rosy glow from his cheeks. Also he should've kept the hair at least, then maybe he wouldn't look so weird right now.

Giving up beer is kind of tough. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Dufner looks fine to me:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yeah, give the guy some credit. Good for him! No way you can say he looked better before. I just hope his game stays with him at the lower poundage---

Look at the belt in the pictures above. 2 notches smaller and still loose, plus now he doesn't have to put his gut over it. Gonna need a new belt!

Nasty scar on the elbow though.

Steve

[QUOTE name="legitimatebeef" url="/t/80396/dufner-honda-less-20-lbs-jason-dufner-looks-like-a-lean-mean-golfing-machine-golf-digest/36#post_1109972"]
[QUOTE]
[COLOR=333333]"If I didn't do it, I wasn't going to be able to play golf," Jason Dufner said of his weight loss last month. "I missed the playoffs, missed the defense of my PGA Championship. More than likely missed playing in the Ryder Cup because of it. So, not really ready to give the game of golf up yet."[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]And so Dufner knuckled down. He didn't really change his workout plan but he completely overhauled his diet, which he says is 80 percent of the reason for his weight loss. He went 11 straight weeks without any fast food, chocolate or peanut butter, and continues pretty much gluten-free nowadays: No sugar, processed foods, alcohol or soda. He lost 20 pounds in all.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]"The first five days sucked," Dufner said. "I felt terrible, I laid in bed for five days, literally. Headaches and not feeling good. But trying to get all that toxin out of you."[/COLOR]
[/QUOTE] Dufner sounds woozy and disoriented . Maybe it's low blood sugar. Is he really saying that a few extra pounds was threatening his ability to play golf? I thought it was a neck injury. And that last quote with its sentence fragments and what not, is a little incoherent. He might have lost some pounds but he has also lost the rosy glow from his cheeks. Also he should've kept the hair at least, then maybe he wouldn't look so weird right now. [/QUOTE] Giving up beer is kind of tough. . .

By giving up I'm sure it's more it's more drastic reduction. You can't give up sugar completely. You can lose weight and have your favorite "sin" food once in a awhile.

Steve

Looks like more than 20 lbs to me. Somewhere closer to 30 from the looks it. Not sure how tall he is though, which is a factor. Plus, everyone stores extra weight a bit differently.

Whatever the case, good on him! You guys suggesting him dropping that gut is bad, must be kidding. Dude needs to get on some sort of weight training program though, pronto. I don't see any sort of muscle tone on him. Even a moderate, 3 days @ 45 min, weight training program will increase his strength buy a lot.

Dufner looks fine to me:

Dude looks good and healthy with the loss of the extra pounds.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Looks like more than 20 lbs to me. Somewhere closer to 30 from the looks it. Not sure how tall he is though, which is a factor. Plus, everyone stores extra weight a bit differently.

Whatever the case, good on him! You guys suggesting him dropping that gut is bad, must be kidding. Dude needs to get on some sort of weight training program though, pronto. I don't see any sort of muscle tone on him. Even a moderate, 3 days @ 45 min, weight training program will increase his strength buy a lot.

I think he's 5'10", and doubt his swing will change that much. He probably went from 200 down to 170.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Dude looks good and healthy with the loss of the extra pounds.

I agree. He did not look fine before. He looked swollen, puffy, overweight. And that kind of fat that's stored around the midsection is the most unhealthy, so good for him. Amanda is so freaking hot.

Colin P.

I agree. He did not look fine before. He looked swollen, puffy, overweight. And that kind of fat that's stored around the midsection is the most unhealthy, so good for him.

Amanda is so freaking hot.

I will add my agreement as well.  I think a big part of the problem is that the original pair of pictures were terrible for comparison purposes.  Lighting and posture distorted how the "now" Dufner looked.  Personally, based on the bigger, clearer pictures I think he not only looks fit and healthy, I think the new leaner version of his face is better looking as well.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

This thread needs a LOT more Amanda Dufner pics, to...uh...keep it in perspective...or whatever. Just more Amanda.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Cabin fever, eh, @Ernest Jones ?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 3345 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!