IGNORED

Gator on the cart path! [Video]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first visit to HIlton Head back in the early 80's, we were zipping around a curve on the Ocean course. What we THOUGHT was a log on the cartpath was a 6-7 foot juvenile. Unfortunately, we ran right over his tail. NO apparent injury to the Gator as we watched it just saunter back into the swamp

That video is from Myakka Pines Golf Club in Englewood Florida. My grandfather was actually a member there. I've only played there twice and have seen seen gators bigger than that on that golf course. In the pro shop they have a photo of one standing on a tee box and it makes that one look like a baby.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Don't mess with them, and they won't mess with you!

As an aside, I used to compete in a lot of triathlons, which include an open water swim.  In Florida, just about any body of water is going to include a resident population of gators.  People used to ask me if I really thought that I could out-swim a gator.....my standard response was that I didn't have to.  I just had to out-swim the guy next to me! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Are they all over the place in Florida, or just the coastal areas? I know they are in the coastal areas of the Carolinas, but I don't know about Florida. Thanks

No gators in Northern WI....

I like it that way.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Looks like that critter could be a subject of slow play. :whistle: Out here, it's getting close to rattlesnake time. :bugout:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'd rather have gators than bears.....but then I'd rather have bears than snakes.

I was playing a course in the Denver area. We walked up to the next tee box to find a rather large rattlesnake sunning itself. I broke one rule that day as did my playing companions.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I'd rather have gators than bears.....but then I'd rather have bears than snakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

No gators in Northern WI....

I like it that way.

Yes...

Bears are scary as well.  Especially when I have young kids, and I have seen bears in my backyard.  My wife gets concerned sending them to the bus stop.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Looks like that critter could be a subject of slow play.   Out here, it's getting close to rattlesnake time.

If you ever stumble on one, don't assume they all move as slow as this one. I have read they can move up to 35mph. :blink:

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976 View Post

If you ever stumble on one, don't assume they all move as slow as this one. I have read they can move up to 35mph. :blink:

From the University of Florida,

Quote:
Partially webbed feet also help push the alligator along through the water. Although crocodiles have been clocked swimming at 10 mph, there is no definitive answer for how fast an alligator can swim. When alligators walk on land, they can move very quickly and are capable of running at speeds of 7.5 to 9 mph for short distances. The speed at which alligators can move makes them potentially dangerous in water and on land.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

They are extremely quick for short bursts. When they're on land like this, they are probably not looking for food unless they smell something dead. Still, if you screw with them they will mess you up (and people do screw with them).

Females guarding a nest can be pretty aggressive towards people.

Jon

I guess what I remember seeing on tv was concerning crocs and the speed was apparently in km/h. Oh well.....

http://www.factzoo.com/reptiles/nile-crocodile-smile-top-predator.html

Despite their normal method of slowly crawling to transport themselves, nile crocodiles can "gallop" at up to 7.5 to 8.5 mph (12 to 14km/h) and can swim even faster, reaching speeds of 18 to 22 mph (30 to 35 km/h).

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Come down here where you can have both! My backyard last fall. The bird feeder is chest high....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I think someone needs to give that clip to Eurosport as they are saying the picture of the same thing is Faked......well thats one hell of a realistic aligator costume then!!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I play with bears where I am but they generally keep away.  I have had gators in SC and FL just hang out next to the green, usually about where my ball lands.  I'll take the bears.

In Texas you find a gator or a snake every once in a while but its not so bad in the Houston area. The worst was when I was about 10 my dad and I played 2 rounds in Arizona at some resort and I hit a ball into some rough and my dad told me not go look for the ball and I did anyway and of course there was a giant rattlesnake and I was pretty close to being bitten.

Note: This thread is 2880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!