IGNORED

Tiger Passing On Bay Hill, Still Dangling Masters Possibility

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
“I’ve put in a lot of time and work on my game and I’m making strides,” Woods said. “But like I’ve said, I won’t return to the PGA Tour until my game is tournament ready and I can compete at the highest level.”

Quote:
“I hope to be ready for the Masters, and I will continue to work hard preparing for Augusta,” Woods said in his statement.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/14/tiger-woods-to-miss-arnold-palmer-invitational-bay-hill

He's trapped in a vicious circle, though, isn't he? A few weeks ago he was understandably embarrassed about playing absolutely wretched golf in full view of the world at a PGA Tour event, and, as some people here commented, "Watching [that] was beyond sad." He then disappeared from the tour to compose himself and improve his game, and yet, unless he can bring a game improved on the range and in practice rounds to the Masters, he still faces the prospect of playing in the Masters with no recent tournament play under his belt. The glare of the media will be a lot more intense in the Masters than it would have been at the Palmer Invitational. Unfortunately, for Tiger, there is nowhere to hide. The media would always much prefer to show, for example, 100 more replays of Tiger skulling one over the green, rather than showing a journeyman on the next hole holing out with a 6 iron from the fairway. There are still degrees, however, and the intensity of the Masters seems a very odd choice for the comeback, if it could possibly be avoided. Is there any chance of him showing up to either of the events before then, I wonder, even if they wouldn't normally be his thing?

If the Masters is when we next see Tiger Woods in action it's hard to know what to make of that. Either it's going to be golf's equivalent to Elvis's '68 comeback special, or not much. To be honest, my money would be on not much.

There a couple reasons why I think Tiger shoWS up at Augusta. #1 he does anything possible to show up at majors. Look at obviously 2008 or even last yr. #2 unlike other majors the Masters is always at the same course. No one know this course like Tiger, he knows every blade of grass there. Look at 2010, after taking time off after the scandal, on Sunday he was in contention on the back 9, after not playing for months. This is a different Tiger yes, or is it?

I hope he's making strides, I truly do.....but the one thing we've learned from Tiger the last couple years is seeing is believing. He's trying to be optimistic, but I get the sense that him not playing next week he's still a long way away from being competitive. I think if he felt close, he'd play to get some warm up in before Augusta. He'll play at the Masters because it's the Masters. It's a major and while his odds are probably a million-to-one, you're still telling him there's a chance.

I personally think he plays The Masters and then won't play again until The Memorial. I think that's a more reasonable goal for him. Of course, if the back acts up between now and then, then it probably won't be until much longer. But we don't know what's going on there.

On that note, if he is healthy and doesn't play the Masters, I will have very serious concern. That tells me he has lost his passion. If he is healthy and can't break 90, He absolutely has to be in Augusta. He is Tiger Woods, and if he is teeing it up in Augusta he has a chance to be on the front page on Sunday afternoon.

On that note, if he is healthy and doesn't play the Masters, I will have very serious concern. That tells me he has lost his passion. If he is healthy and can't break 90, He absolutely has to be in Augusta. He is Tiger Woods, and if he is teeing it up in Augusta he has a chance to be on the front page on Sunday afternoon.

Of course he will be on the front page, especially if he comes up with something other than his glutes not activating as a reason for his withdrawl!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I think that Tiger would LOVE to be great again.  It's possible that he's lost the ability to do so......

Sadly, I don't think he plays The Masters.  If he doesn't play at the Valero, he's out for sure.  No way he's going into Augusta having only played in Houston.

I don't buy it.

If you're going to show up to any major without having a background, you do it at the one which:

• Has the smallest, weakest field.
  • Requires intimate course knowledge according to almost everyone who has played it.
  • Has a course on which he's won four times before and almost always seems to get a top-10 finish.

He went into it cold a few years ago after a surgery, didn't he?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't buy it. If you're going to show up to any major without having a background, you do it at the one which: [LIST] [*] Has the smallest, weakest field. [*] Requires intimate course knowledge according to almost everyone who has played it. [*] Has a course on which he's won four times before and almost always seems to get a top-10 finish. [/LIST] He went into it cold a few years ago after a surgery, didn't he?

Absolutely valid points. But I think the difference this time is that his issues appear to be as much (more?) mental as physical. Previously he had unshakeable confidence in his abilities, as long as he was healthy. I don't think that's the case now, and I think he'll want to have at least a couple of relatively successful starts under his belt before he plays in a major. As badly as he wants to win more majors, I suspect he's equally worried about putting up an embarrassing performance in one... ....especially the one with the weakest field, on a course at which he's won 4 times and has intimate knowledge.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The Golf Channel was doing a coverage piece yesterday on Tiger's announcement about not playing in Arnie's tournament and went right to Notah Begay (who apparently has been spending a lot of time helping Tiger with his rebound) for an update. Notah's answer ("I can attest to the fact that things are improving and that he is putting in some solid workdays" and "At the end of the day, if his game isn't going to hold up from tee to green and around the greens -- especially with the question marks around his short game -- I think it is a good decision to hold off until he is 100 percent.") didn't leave me with any impression that the obstacles are physical. Stella just needs to get her groove back somehow. Kind of reminds me of the stereotypical phenom character you see in fiction or real life who gets thrown a curveball (Superman loses his powers, Tyson isn't knocking opponents out in the first minute, Happy Gilmore loses his power (felt almost obligated to throw that one in there)) and has to figure out how to compete as a mere mortal for the first time in years if ever. I blame Elin - she f-ed it all up for the rest of us. Things were fine before she had to go get all pissy about him banging everything in sight. Way to think of only yourself, missy. :-P

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Another thing I think that is being over looked, is that if he still the same competitive Tiger, he is seeing that everyone is writing him off at Augusta. And after watching him for the last 20 yrs, that's a HUGE mistake. He might say he doesn't care what is being said about him, which is everyone destroying him. and if he still has that fire, which the only other athlete I ever saw have was MJ,look out. He will do everything he can do to shut everyone up.

That may be true in regards to his full swing. I don't think physical injury is causing his problems with executing a simple pitch/chip shot though.

I agree, that is technical, but I generally don't worry too much about players struggling with the short game, maybe especially one that's been as good at it as Tiger. I wonder if he will stick to this technique or switch it up, maybe he already has. Even if he starts improving the way he goes about it now, I don't know if it's good enough to give him the short game required to win majors.

I would be very surprised if Tiger doesn't play the Masters... He lives for the majors.

No idea how his game will be, but I hope he wins! That would be incredible.

He absolutely does live for them and he will surely do anything he can to be there.

I don't expect much from his game though. If he plays, I'll be happy just to see him finish the tournament without a WD from injury. Even if his game is A+ in practice, I don't think he's got enough recent tournament practice to be anywhere near contention. He's always been hailed for his headgame (although it's been questions recently IIRC), but from what I've seen of him the last 5-6 years, he struggles in tournament play after a longer period away from the scene. If he gets healthy and can stay that way all year, maybe he can contend in later majors.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-will-skip-arnold-palmer-invitational-bay-hill From golf.com, NBIII: "I spent quite a bit of time the last couple of weeks down at Tiger’s house, trying to be a good running mate and going through workouts and practicing with him," said Notah Begay, Woods' longtime friend and former college teammate. "I can attest to the fact that things are improving and that he is putting in some solid workdays. It is just not at the status that he wants it." Quote: The last time Woods parachuted into Augusta without having played a Tour event all year was 2010, when he returned from his sex scandal. He tied for fourth.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-will-skip-arnold-palmer-invitational-bay-hill From golf.com, NBIII: "I spent quite a bit of time the last couple of weeks down at Tiger’s house, trying to be a good running mate and going through workouts and practicing with him," said Notah Begay, Woods' longtime friend and former college teammate. "I can attest to the fact that things are improving and that he is putting in some solid workdays. It is just not at the status that he wants it." Quote: The last time Woods parachuted into Augusta without having played a Tour event all year was 2010, when he returned from his sex scandal. He tied for fourth.

Does anyone else think that Notah is nothing more than a spokesperson or puppet for Tiger? Say the right thing and he gets to keep his job. I know they were friends in college, room mates I believe. Looking at the quote above " I can attest......" He comes across as trying to convince people of Tiger work out. Which makes me ask: Given his recent play and with drawls why wouldn't tiger be putting in 110% of the effort to return? Isn't that a priority very next in line to his kids? Why would a 3rd party such as Notah, come across as defending his own statement? Is it tiger that feels he himself is not being believed??? As far as parachuting into Augusta and playing well, maybe not winning, but playing very well, that will remain to be seen. It was also 5 years ago. His play and ability to finish a tournament has dramatically changed, injury, recovery, rampant allegations etc etc. I would not rule out he has fallen from his game to be competitive. He wouldn't be the first nor last one to lose it. one only has to look to Anthony Kim or even Duval to see how quickly it can slip away. goosen is another one. On top of the world, then poof.

Anthony kim had a very severe injury, so that doesn't count. He also collects an insurance policy. Which is voided if takes one more professional swing. Duval had personal issues. And neither one of them were even in the same stratosphere as TW, yes I know Duval was #1. As far as Notah speaking for Tiger, since when does Tiger make his thoughts public? Is it possible he lost his passion, unfair question. That's becaus no one ever was competitive as TW. Here is the bottom line Imo, when Tiger is at his best even now, everyone else is playing for second place, end of story. The big question, can tiger become Tiger again?

Why would a 3rd party such as Notah, come across as defending his own statement? Is it tiger that feels he himself is not being believed???

Two friends, both of whom are in the public eye, and one stands up for the other? Shocking. Clearly something is amiss. ;-) It's exactly what it looks like: Notah is hanging out with and helping his friend. Notah was asked about it, as the friend is someone who the media likes to focus on. Notah gave an answer.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The last time Woods parachuted into Augusta without having played a Tour event all year was 2010, when he returned from his sex scandal. He tied for fourth.

I'd actually love to see that. Literally, parachute onto the first tee, hit his drive, and walk down the fairway.

Colin P.

I'd actually love to see that. Literally, parachute onto the first tee, hit his drive, and walk down the fairway.

Like a boss!! Something like that could be exactly what he needs to get out of his funk. Worth a shot, right? Just hope he activates his glutes properly upon landing.

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

Does anyone else think that Notah is nothing more than a spokesperson or puppet for Tiger? Say the right thing and he gets to keep his job. I know they were friends in college, room mates I believe. Looking at the quote above " I can attest......" He comes across as trying to convince people of Tiger work out. Which makes me ask:

Given his recent play and with drawls why wouldn't tiger be putting in 110% of the effort to return? Isn't that a priority very next in line to his kids?

Why would a 3rd party such as Notah, come across as defending his own statement? Is it tiger that feels he himself is not being believed???

As far as parachuting into Augusta and playing well, maybe not winning, but playing very well, that will remain to be seen. It was also 5 years ago. His play and ability to finish a tournament has dramatically changed, injury, recovery, rampant allegations etc etc. I would not rule out he has fallen from his game to be competitive. He wouldn't be the first nor last one to lose it. one only has to look to Anthony Kim or even Duval to see how quickly it can slip away. goosen is another one. On top of the world, then poof.

I can't take Notah seriously. He was saying before the British last year that he was hitting it like the "old Tiger" and then we saw what we got. Then before Phoenix he was saying "Tiger is hitting it better than I've ever seen" and we saw the exact opposite.

No one truly knows what's really going on with Tiger behind the scenes, whether it's a confidence issue, whether it's a practice issue, whether it's a lack of motivation issue, whether it's an injury..and whether it's a combo of the above. I'm kind of tired of the whole spectacle to be honest and when he plays, he plays. I don't expect much until he gives me a reason to expect something. I'm enjoying the way Spieth is developing and hopefully he will continue to blossom and be the American hope we need. That was great stuff today. If we can get Jordan, Rory and Bubba to bring their A-games to Augusta, I'll be happy.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!