IGNORED

2015 Masters Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really like Jordan Speith. He seems to really have it all together for a young buck. I would love to see him pushing Rory. I'm very much looking forward to taking my father and FIL to Tuesday's practice round. This will be our first time seeing the course. For those that have been in prior years are there any particular holes that you would recommend stationing at? Thanks.

Cheers,
Rick Menary

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I don't think Speith can win here, yet. He's too short and too crooked off the tee. But, if he can improve on that just a little bit, the sky is the limit for him.

He came pretty close last year. Went to the 8th hole with the lead on Sunday. And I believe he's a much better player now than he was then. He's won three tournaments over the last few months. One thing I'm willing to bet at least is that he'll be on the leaderboard on Sunday. Seems like every tournament he's in he's given himself a chance, and I don't think Augusta will be any different.

• Upvote 1

is Spieth a better putter than Rory?  because i see Rors long game as being scary good when hes on.

Rory's putting has been his achilles heel at Augusta. I remember in 2010 when he couldn't make a 3-5 footer on that last day. He's had similar problems the last couple years there as well. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before he had something like 5 3-putts during the week.

I don't know what the stats say but my observations tell me Spieth is a better putter and scrambler than Rory. That and his mental game are what give him a chance to compete with Rory, who is longer and a lot more talented on paper. When Rory's game is on it's as good as Tiger's in his prime but his mental stability (or whatever you want to call it) is still on the weaker side in my opinion. Fortunately for him he's got the raw talent to make up for it.

He came pretty close last year. Went to the 8th hole with the lead on Sunday. And I believe he's a much better player now than he was then. He's won three tournaments over the last few months. One thing I'm willing to bet at least is that he'll be on the leaderboard on Sunday. Seems like every tournament he's in he's given himself a chance, and I don't think Augusta will be any different.

I think you're right about all of this, but I just don't think he'll be able to win it. I think he'll be on the leaderboard, but until he improves his driving, I just don't see him winning. Bubba blew him away on the back 9 last year, and it's because he was so much longer. 57th in total driving this year isn't great.

Although maybe he has turned a corner? He's improved his strokes gained tee-to-green substantially so far this year.

I wouldn't mind seeing him win it at all.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Freddy just can't stay in contention on the weekend. He'll probably be there after 36 holes but the body starts wearing out on Saturday and he just doesn't have the same magic. Seems to be the pattern the last few years with him.

I would like to see Rory or Spieth win. In an age where Tiger and Phil are fading, the game needs these two to step up. Rory's already been stepping up, but he needs to keep winning majors to keep the interest level rising. And Spieth is America's best hope, I feel, to be that dominant player right now. And I think given their improving form the last few weeks, both have a solid chance in three weeks.

I think your fanboy side might be coming out.

As @joekelly mentioned, you have Ricky who played excellent during the majors last year, Patrick Reed (even if I don't like him much) has also been playing at a high level, and Jimmy Walker, whose name is never thrown around in these types of conversations, is still at the top of the FedEx Cup leaderboard after a solid season last year.  After Spieth's performance last year, IMO you'd have to be crazy to not put him on the list as one of the guys who can win at Augusta.  That said, I don't think it's a given that he's America's best hope.

I'm personally hoping Tiger plays and plays well.  I would love to see Phil and Tiger battle it out on Sunday.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm personally hoping Tiger plays and plays well.  I would love to see Phil and Tiger battle it out on Sunday.

I would like Rory to win.

I would personally like Rory to win, too.

I would personally love Jason Day to give it a good shot.

I would also like to see Jason Day do well.

Sorry, I can't help it when I see this. Something I should get over but I can't.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I would like Rory to win.

I would personally like Rory to win, too.

I would personally love Jason Day to give it a good shot.

I would also like to see Jason Day do well.

Sorry, I can't help it when I see this. Something I should get over but I can't.

Point taken.

The word didn't need to be inserted, however, I enjoy using certain terms and phrases and that is one of them even though it's not needed. :-)

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Point taken.  The word didn't need to be inserted, however, I enjoy using certain terms and phrases and that is one of them even though it's not needed.  :-)

For shortys sanity, though, you might want to stop using it .... You know ...... GOING FORWARD.

Spieth has put six yards on his drives compared to last year (289 to 295), which is really good. One thing that's always concerned me about him is that he didn't hit far enough, which I thought was the reason Bubba ended up taking him down at the Masters. Good to see he's improving his length.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Spieth has put six yards on his drives compared to last year (289 to 295), which is really good. One thing that's always concerned me about him is that he didn't hit far enough, which I thought was the reason Bubba ended up taking him down at the Masters. Good to see he's improving his length.

True, but he really lost it by missing the fairways in the final round last year.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Here's a teenager who is not hoping to win the green jacket, but rather to take home 'best amateur' Silver Cup.  If he does so, Bradley Neil will be first Brit to win the Master's Silver Cup, ever.  And he is from Scotland.  Says in the news report he will playing 9 holes next week with Rory and he expects to learn a thing or 2. Well, for me, he is someone to watch, (on the leaderboard coz i don't he will feature on TV) besides the multimillionaires.  Brad is the British Am Champ and will be competing, for the best am prize, against the US Am Champ, Gunn Yang, from So Korea and other ams.  Good luck, all.

More here:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy/11502244/Rory-McIlroy-comes-to-amateur-Bradley-Neils-aid-in-week-he-could-make-slam-history.html

I would be really surprised if Spieth is not in the thick of it next Sunday. You need to be able to consistently make 3-5 footers at Augusta and Spieth is really good at those length putts. That's my worry with Rory is he has really struggled with those putts at the Masters. He tends to be aggressive with his putter, and on fast greens, that's a dangerous game to play. He's shaky with the short ones

My sleeper pick at Augusta that I'm putting a couple bucks on in Vegas in Louis Oosthuizen. Quietly having a decent year and is healthy. Last time he was healthy at Augusta, he nearly won. Love the 50-1 odds.

Here's a thought - why not Jimmy Walker? He draws the ball and hits a ton of GIR. The knock on him is he doesn't win with the big names playing, but if he pulls out the Texas Open...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Here's a thought - why not Jimmy Walker? He draws the ball and hits a ton of GIR. The knock on him is he doesn't win with the big names playing, but if he pulls out the Texas Open...

I'm assuming a lot of pros draw the ball.. Is this an advantage for JW in some way?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Jimmy's game is suited nice for Augusta. Question with him is can he win a big event. A lot of his wins are in weaker fields. Even the Texas Open field I would characterize as just "okay." That being said, he's very overdue.

Note: This thread is 3292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!