IGNORED

Trees Impeding on or Being In the Fairway

Note: This thread is 3316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

its easy. aim straight at the tree.......guaranteed to miss it.

Oddly enough, whenever I try that tactic I usually hit a laser dead centre of the tree. BOINK! :doh:

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some trees are quite well known as hazards: http://www.augusta.com/masters/story/news/latest-news/augusta-nationals-eisenhower-tree-removed-after-storm-damage

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

At least with trees, you can see them from the tee box and try to avoid them.

I played a few courses where from the blue tees you hit your 270-290 yard drives and lo and behold, your ball ends up in a ditch that cuts across the fairway.

Those are the courses I do  not like.  Why would you put a ditch that cuts across the fairway near the landing area?  At least show that on the tee box so you won't be surprised your good drive ends up costing you a stroke.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Local course has a par-5 with a group of trees in the middle of the fairway in the area where your 2nd shot will land.  Fairway area is 1/4 left of trees, trees take up half the fairway and right is 1/4 of remaining fairway.  The kicker here is that the hole sweeps LEFT just past the trees and the green is elevated and guarded by a stream that moves right to left with a water hazard (pond) guarding the left half of the green that swallows up any shot left short.

To make matters worse, playing LEFT of the trees drops down and the pond can catch your ball.  You WANT to play left for a better angle to a wide, but shallow (depth) green.  Playing right means you need to CLEAR the group of trees.  The final dogleg left means you'll likely play your 3rd shot from the rough and over the stream hazard to the elevated green.

It's one of those holes I dread coming to.  It's usually an 'extra shot' hole trying to get in position to hit a wedge onto the green from somewhere safe.  Not a birdie hole at all; most of the time not a par hole either.

And all because someone thought it was a good idea to leave a group of trees in the middle of the fairway 120 yards from the middle of the green.  Bad idea, IMO.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I have no issue with trees in the fairway, your responsibility is to plan accordingly and "think" your way around the obstacle. Maybe take less club to leave yourself room and options. My nemesis is the trees to the left and right of the fairway.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

A tree, at least you can see it from a good distance away, figure whether to go around or over it, and it usually at least looks natural to the course.  I'm more likely to be bothered by obviously man made water hazards and sand traps that seem poorly placed.

It's all perspective. ;). The goal is one side of the tree. If I miss and go on the other side or under the tree, am I happier with a lie in buried rough or on short fairway grass???

Agreed. We have a hole on my home course with a tree smack dab in the middle of a slight dogleg left. Water on the right takes driver out of play for those who fade it, but a fairway wood or hybrid makes the tree more of a factor.

It's a good test. Unless one decides to lay up and leave himself 200+ to go, he has to hit a good shot to the left side of the tree.

Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and I never slice.   

There's no obligation for the fairway to be the desirable landing spot for a tee shot, even on holes with par above three. I can think of two holes on my home course where I'd rather be just into the left rough than anywhere in the right half of the fairway. I don't think that's bad design.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now by all means, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but there's not a golf course on the tour, that I can think of, with the exception of PB's 18th and even that hole has more than enough room to maneuver around it, that the pro's get penalized for a ball in the fairway. Now they have a couple that are on the side of the fairway or the dogleg corners, but nothing in the middle of the fairway. Now some of you have offered that it's part of the game and there's nothing that says it can't be there, but seriously, you stripe one down the middle and your stuck with a possibly penalty stroke. You guys are some cold, hard core, old school match play, stymie your opponent, up yours friend, take no prisoners warriors. Hate to be in your money game..... :bugout:

Hate crowned cups.

Now by all means, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but there's not a golf course on the tour, that I can think of, with the exception of PB's 18th and even that hole has more than enough room to maneuver around it, that the pro's get penalized for a ball in the fairway. Now they have a couple that are on the side of the fairway or the dogleg corners, but nothing in the middle of the fairway. Now some of you have offered that it's part of the game and there's nothing that says it can't be there, but seriously, you stripe one down the middle and your stuck with a possibly penalty stroke. You guys are some cold, hard core, old school match play, stymie your opponent, up yours friend, take no prisoners warriors. Hate to be in your money game.....:bugout:

That'd be like complaining about your approach landing in, or being stymied by, the sand bunker in the middle of the green at Riviera or TPC San Antonio. Plan around it.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunlucedreams

its easy. aim straight at the tree.......guaranteed to miss it.

Oddly enough, whenever I try that tactic I usually hit a laser dead centre of the tree. BOINK!

Happened to me more than once.   One of my previous home course has random skinny palm trees lined up along some holes.   What's the odd of hitting a drive and hit a tree trunk that is 10 inch wide standing 200 yards away?  Big enough to hit it and have the ball bounce backwards.   One time, a ball got even stuck at the top of the tree where it had leaves.   Aaaaaaah ... the Murphy's Law of golf at work.

My current home course has one hole with a large tree in the middle of a fairway.   I love it.   It adds more character to the hole.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

No.5 at Lakewood CC About 360 yards, slightly uphill, and there are two trees about 220-230 out smack dab in the middle of a 30 yard wide fairway also lined by trees. I usually hit an iron off the tee keeping just short of the trees leaving 130-150 to the green. It is an especially tricky hole if the pin is on the small back tier of the green. One of the best short par 4s I've played.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I am not a big fan of trees in the middle of a fairway.  In moderation and properly designed, the feature adds to the interest of a course. When improperly placed, a large tree in the fairway can be a source of frustration. The problem a tree (or trees) presents is unlike a bunker or water hazard.  With a bunker or water one can lay up short and go over the hazards with the next shot.  A tree punishes the layup. I am certainly no course designer but if an architect wants a large towering oak to be in the fairway, or worse, smack in front of the green, then they really need to give the average golfer an avenue to take to avoid the tree and not end up with a double or worse.

Brian Kuehn

I don't mind trees if they are located strategically.

To me as long as the trees do not encroach too much to be struck so often it makes the hole unplayable then they are fine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

A tree, at least you can see it from a good distance away, figure whether to go around or over it, and it usually at least looks natural to the course.  I'm more likely to be bothered by obviously man made water hazards and sand traps that seem poorly placed.

This just reminded me of the 12 at the Old Course.  There's a collection of little bunkers in the middle of the fairway, so the best line is either the left or right rough.  And of course, you can't see those bunkers from the tee.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Here is our 9th hole, Par 4 403 yards

If 403 is from the back tee there, then that tree (for most people) would just be a visual impairment, right?  Can't be more than 200 to reach from the back tee and therefore 175 or less from the middle tees?

Looks like a nice course too!!

If 403 is from the back tee there, then that tree (for most people) would just be a visual impairment, right?  Can't be more than 200 to reach from the back tee and therefore 175 or less from the middle tees?

Looks like a nice course too!!

It's a tall tree so you have to go around it unless you get a lot of height on your drives.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3316 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!