IGNORED

Better chance to..

GHIN0011458
Note: This thread is 3312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you have a better chance of holing a 40 foot putt or a 40 foot chip?

• 40' Chip
    • 40' Putt

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Your distance control is lousy it sounds like. We have threads on that…

Lol. Lousy might be a bit rough, judging it off a round of 73.

Which would have been a 68 if all the three putts were two putts.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Which would have been a 68 if all the three putts were two putts.

Yes- only 2 under though. Par 70. Don't think I haven't already told myself that 1,000 times since the end of that round lol.

Yes- only 2 under though. Par 70. Don't think I haven't already told myself that 1,000 times since the end of that round lol.

Wait, 3 over?!? Damn, that was some lousy distance control.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Please advise on long putts before I quit this game.

That's easy ... this thread (http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/0_30) times infinity.

Seriously.  It was not that long ago that I was a "short-backswing-long-accelerating-foreswing" type of putter on all putts.  I read that thread and then tried out the concept and it was a huge smack in the forehead, lightbulb going off in my skull type of thing.  The OP, as well as post #179.  Here's a snippet:

But here's another simpler reason. This may be, for some, the ultimate explanation/reason. Here's an acceleration profile. There's no ball, it's just a person's putting stroke.

Timing is important. There's some timing in every stroke, whether you're accelerating or not. There's timing in the baseball lob and the car thing too.

If your timing can vary as much as those segments (maybe that's a tenth of a second or something), with impact occurring somewhere in between those two lines, the question becomes this: do you have more consistent speed between lines A or B?

Clearly your speed is more consistent between B.

I wasn't a horrible putter beforehand - probably averaging around 32-ish per round - but I'm much better now.  I average about 30 per round and one three putt every 20 holes or so, according to Gamegolf.  I make more putts and I leave many more tap-ins after lag putts.

Of all of the good stuff I've learned on TST, this was probably the one thing that helped me the most, the fastest.  My putting improved, pretty much, overnight.

Good luck.

That's easy ... this thread ([URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/0_30]http://thesandtrap.com/t/74295/putting-do-not-accelerate-through-the-ball/0_30[/URL]) times infinity. Seriously.  It was not that long ago that I was a "short-backswing-long-accelerating-foreswing" type of putter on all putts.  I read that thread and then tried out the concept and it was a huge smack in the forehead, lightbulb going off in my skull type of thing.  The OP, as well as post #179.  Here's a snippet: I wasn't a horrible putter beforehand - probably averaging around 32-ish per round - but I'm much better now.  I average about 30 per round and one three putt every 20 holes or so, according to Gamegolf.  I make more putts and I leave many more tap-ins after lag putts. Of all of the good stuff I've learned on TST, this was probably the one thing that helped me the most, the fastest.  My putting improved, pretty much, overnight. Good luck.

I consider myself a pretty decent putter but I'm 3 puttin probably twice as much as you are. That's damn salty.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

A lot of times I 3 putt I execute as intended it just barely misses. It really only happens because my ball striking is so shitty I rarely get within no brainer 2 putt range. It starts because I left myself a 40 foot putt or worse. Either way I'd take that before trying to get up and down with a wedge from just about any distance. I fail to get up and down from 10 feet more often than I 3 putt from 40 feet.

Dave :-)

I'm going to try both.

Please do and let us know how it goes.

Please advise on long putts before I quit this game. Short putts, just fine. In fact, I have lowered on average 1 stroke per round because I am rarely missing the 3-4-5 footers. Its the 30 footer that I blow 10 feet past or leave 10 feet short that I am trying to make. And I do it often. Sometimes I even make the 10 footer coming back and get my par.

Read this post. Basically don't determine distance by how much you "hit" the putt, determine it by the length of your backstroke. Try your best to make the backstroke and followthrough the same length, more pendulum like.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I'd putt. I've sank 40' putts by sheer luck. These are usually the ones to save a triple bogey. Miss the 2 ft birdie putt.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Answer should be putt for everybody, I think. I think I'm more likely to make a 40' putt than a 40' chip, but it happens so rarely that I couldn't tell you for sure. The better question is which, on average, is closer. That will probably be putts for everybody, no matter what. If it's not, you need to fix your lag putting. I'm not a good lag putter at all, but I know my lag putting is better than my chipping from similar distances.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I'd putt. I've sank 40' putts by sheer luck. These are usually the ones to save a triple bogey. Miss the 2 ft birdie putt.

Haha, yes. You, me, and Ernie Els.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator
Please advise on long putts before I quit this game. Short putts, just fine. In fact, I have lowered on average 1 stroke per round because I am rarely missing the 3-4-5 footers. Its the 30 footer that I blow 10 feet past or leave 10 feet short that I am trying to make. And I do it often. Sometimes I even make the 10 footer coming back and get my par.

Your distance control is terrible, then. That's really bad.

Read the thread a few people have already linked to: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted for chipping b/c I can't never putt well from 1st/2nd cut or rough.  I use less lofted iron to "putt" and fly the ball over rough.  I just holed out from 40' two rounds ago.  I haven't made a 40' putt in a long, long while.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Your distance control is terrible, then. That's really bad.

Read the thread a few people have already linked to:  ​ .

Will do- thanks. I guess what baffles me is that I have never had problems with chipping from any distance. But when I go to hit a longer putt, I lose all of the feel that I have with chipping. I can make a video of me hitting 10 chips and 10 putts from 40 feet and post and you will see what I am talking about. I also consider myself an excellent chipper but a terrible putter. How can you be good at one but not the other is what I always ask myself? I will read through this. Thanks again.

In general, the 40' chip for me, only because I've holed more chips than putts from that range (although I do get more opportunities to chip than putt from that range). I feel more confident with a chip than a long putt too.

Really though, it all depends on the situation. If it's an easy green with little slope, then I'll putt. If I'm off the green and the green's pretty tough, then I'll chip.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

Assuming all things relatively equal, the putt. There may be times when I'd prefer to chip over a really nasty knoll or other weird piece of green where it makes better sense to chip, but that's not going to be the case very often. And I consider myself a pretty strong chipper and only a modest putter....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!