IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

FOX will improve, they didn't get football right the first year either and do a very good job with it now.  I'm guessing they wanted to blaze their own way of broadcasting golf and some of the things they did this year will stick while others will change

I think they need to get rid of interviewing the players in front of that TV screen showing their shots. Some of the golfers seemed a bit put off about it.

I do like the pro-tracer for shots. Their online broadcast was good. It ran smoothly and the commentary wasn't terrible.

When Billy Horschel was being interviewed and they played him doing that duck walk curling thing on the flat panel, I LOL'd. I would have been red faced after seeing me making a fool of myself. I thought Fox was going to show the club throw at the green too, but wisely, they didn't.

Now if they made a gif of his curling walk and put it on repeat playing at 1.5 speed, that would have been awesometacular. :-D

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quality individual who learned how to be a great golfer and not being a complete ass to others like TW........way to go Jordan. Keep it real. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/125623/] [/URL]

Is it some sort of twitch for you to be a dick about Tiger? You take every available to opportunity to spout off about him. Jordan seems like a good person. Don't have to tear someone else down to make that point.

• Upvote 2

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Jordan seems like a good person.

"Seems" is the key word there.  Right after that picture was taken, he punched that kid right in the ear for daring to soil his trophy with his grubby peasant hands.

:-P

• Upvote 1

Is it some sort of twitch for you to be a dick about Tiger? You take every available to opportunity to spout off about him.

Jordan seems like a good person. Don't have to tear someone else down to make that point.

You must have missed about 10-20 of my posts before the picture of the US Open Champion. This tells me you're a TW-jocksniffer. That's okay - he's got plenty followers and I can understand how pissed you folks are when he shoots 80s.

Spieth on Sportscenter (looks like he needs a nap :-) ):

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Don't blame CB for the way the USGA made that course look.  I played two years ago and it was green.  $170 wasn't too bad.  The course is beautiful.  It didn't look Washington green on TV.

If anyone comes to play CB... I recommend playing Salish Cliffs nearby for $100.  It also has fescue greens and is a better bang for your buck.

• Upvote 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbishop15

Is it some sort of twitch for you to be a dick about Tiger? You take every available to opportunity to spout off about him.

Jordan seems like a good person. Don't have to tear someone else down to make that point.

You must have missed about 10-20 of my posts before the picture of the US Open Champion. This tells me you're a TW-jocksniffer. That's okay - he's got plenty followers and I can understand how pissed you folks are when he shoots 80s.

Cut the crap Rick.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

And the Open could have been worse. The conditions could have been worse. It could have been played THIS WEEK. The weather forecast is Friday 86, Saturday 90. CB would have been baked out dried to a crisp, and they're trying to get the course recovered and open to the public by Friday. And if I know that cove as well as I do, so would the players and spectators. This summer looks like it's going to be brutal.

Green fees go down to $275 on July 13 for non-residents; $215 for WA residents; $169 for Pierce Co Residents; and $149 for members of CB Golf Club.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Jason Day playing ricochet off old factory walls.

Steve

Yes, I think it'll be much better as they go along - it's good to change things up every once in a while. I really missed the NBC theme. There was a regalness to it.

That is the biggest thing I missed. The NBC theme song for the U.S. Open was symbolic for the event. I realized it Saturday and wished for the music to be back.

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Such a nice warm welcome. You must be the ambassador for The Sand Trap.

Don't let that fool give you a false image of the site. He's just a condescending buffoon. I've enjoyed your posts Jack! Look forward to seeing more'

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Someone on reddit did a strokes gained analysis and found that the make % for short putts wasn't that much different than the pga tour average. Can't vouch for accuracy, but here is the post: http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/3avyt9/strokes_gained_putting_for_all_players_during_the/ [QUOTE] [/QUOTE]

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Someone on reddit did a strokes gained analysis and found that the make % for short putts wasn't that much different than the pga tour average. Can't vouch for accuracy, but here is the post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/3avyt9/strokes_gained_putting_for_all_players_during_the/

Good find! The whole tournament I just kept thinking, let's see the numbers! If there are complaints about hitting short putts true, let's see how significant the problem is- just go review the stats and see if people are indeed missing short putts more. Simple. They have the data of every putt, every distance, every hole.  The numbers can help us put it into perspective. This was his summary:

Quote:

Two notable things from the data:

• Players missed slightly more short putts. Putts shorter than 1 feet were only hit 98% of the time versus ~100% on average. Putts between 1 and 2 feet dropped from 99% to 98% as well. This could be a result of the poor green conditions but also goes to show that players were not missing drastically more putts (and given the small sample size (a single tournament), may not be statistically significant).

• Players made significantly more mid range putts (putts between 7 and 40 ft). For example ~25 ft putts were made 25% of the time rather than the tour average of 20 ft. Maybe the slow greens contributed to this?

If we had the raw data, we could all assess the significance of the complaints, and at a minimum, put it into perspective. If Fox/USGA had done thorough analysis as the complaints were rising in number and vehemence, it might've had an effect to temper those who had such strong opinions. Apparently, from the numbers, it was not all that bad.

I'd love the full data set so that we could've compared the holes that had good greens (there were several) against those holes where there were specific complaints. I don't think he analyzed things to that detail- just overall percentages.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Someone on reddit did a strokes gained analysis and found that the make % for short putts wasn't that much different than the pga tour average. Can't vouch for accuracy, but here is the post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/3avyt9/strokes_gained_putting_for_all_players_during_the/

Good find! The whole tournament I just kept thinking, let's see the numbers! If there are complaints about hitting short putts true, let's see how significant the problem is- just go review the stats and see if people are indeed missing short putts more. Simple. They have the data of every putt, every distance, every hole.  The numbers can help us put it into perspective. This was his summary:

Quote:

Two notable things from the data:

• Players missed slightly more short putts. Putts shorter than 1 feet were only hit 98% of the time versus ~100% on average. Putts between 1 and 2 feet dropped from 99% to 98% as well. This could be a result of the poor green conditions but also goes to show that players were not missing drastically more putts (and given the small sample size (a single tournament), may not be statistically significant).

• Players made significantly more mid range putts (putts between 7 and 40 ft). For example ~25 ft putts were made 25% of the time rather than the tour average of 20 ft. Maybe the slow greens contributed to this?

If we had the raw data, we could all assess the significance of the complaints, and at a minimum, put it into perspective. If Fox/USGA had done thorough analysis as the complaints were rising in number and vehemence, it might've had an effect to temper those who had such strong opinions. Apparently, from the numbers, it was not all that bad.

I'd love the full data set so that we could've compared the holes that had good greens (there were several) against those holes where there were specific complaints. I don't think he analyzed things to that detail- just overall percentages.

He grabbed the just the data for players who made the cut, so maybe not as comprehensive? I wonder if he wrote a spider to trawl the pertinent numbers or found a page w/compiled stats. I would think someone like Broadie or similar will eventually write a piece like this.

Find the actual facts to end an argument? I think Fox would prefer people arguing w/each other. Better for ratings. So many people just want an outlet to have their say about the course because it doesn't fit their eye and/or conceptions.

Steve

Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!