IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's true they all have to play the same piece of crap, but it's still a piece of crap IMO. I'm tuning out of the US Open. Done...

Seriously? your not watching the US Open because you don't like the condition of the greens?

It bums me out what everyone is saying about the greens. It's my hometown course and I was afraid it would be a one and done. I hope they change the whole thing to native poa anniua grass so someone will come back and play it.

Links-ish style course, as I was corrected yesterday. No one said US Open's should be relegated to just country clubs style courses.

My question is, are the greens really that bad or do they just look different because of the type of grass? Also is that causing them to mis-read putts more than how they actually roll. I was watching yesterday and the greens look to be rolling good.

Robert Trent Jones Jr has designed a popular Golf Course here in Perth  called Joondalup Resort. I played just one's there because of the elevation requiring only motorised vehicle and making the walking journey a nightmare. Perfect irons shots in the middle of the fairways ending on quarries right and left (usually blind shots). Overkilling a golf course is not difficult and Chambers Bay is no different. Huge wide bunkers instead of the classic pot shape. Elevations more close to a mountain bike race. I believe the greens are just fine as they are but the 'moon walk' to the flag is ridiculous.

The 2 injured caddies are completing the picture.

In the Bag:

D     Cobra Amp Cell Pro 

W    Ping G25

H    Titlelist 910 H

I     Titleist AP2 710

W   Vokey TVD K 60 - TVD K 54 - SM5 50

P    Ping TR Cadence Heavy

================================

"Rumores fuge, ne incipias novus auctor haberi: nam nulli tacuisse nocet, nocet esse locutum"

Why does Ben Martin remind me of Bill Haas so much?

Well, they both live in Greenville, SC (Bill was born here, and Ben lives here now) and wear white hats all the time.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's true they all have to play the same piece of crap, but it's still a piece of crap IMO. I'm tuning out of the US Open. Done...

Carl - I'm guessing your not watching because your fantasy team included Tiger, Rickie, & Oostie and you can't watch another +28 performance today.

Amirite?

Players play, tough players win!

From two interviews it seems the greens are not consistent from green to green in their speed. Also the practice greens are running much faster then on the course.

Spieth mentioned that the greens are not running as true than they typically see. Of course I have no clue how bad that actually means. Perspective is big. For PGA Tour players, their bad might be really really good greens to me when you compare the type of courses we play.

When Spieth was talking about the greens, there was no hint of anger or being upset. He just takes it as it is and plays the best he can. The same with Phil. He answers all the questions in the same tone, no anger at all over the greens.

Right now I am rooting for Phil and Spieth because they are not acting like whining children about the golf course :)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Chambers Bay is wall-to-wall fescue, and that means that the greens aren't rolling as fast as players are used to seeing, especially at the U.S. Open. They appear to be rolling well (and I'm not particular about how they look), but it has to be a change of pace from the 12 and 13 Stimpmeter readings of old.

Honestly I don't feel bad for the pros. The rest of us have to play sketchy greens at times. Almost all the tracks in my area have a couple of greens that run different speeds and it does mess up your stroke at times. If I had a beef, it would be the difficulty of distinguishing the green vs fairway. Hopefully on non open weeks they let the grass grow a little taller around the greens (which I assume is so, or no one would want to play it).

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

From two interviews it seems the greens are not consistent from green to green in their speed. Also the practice greens are running much faster then on the course.

Welcome to my world... Usually its the other way around though.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Course, that does not include today so maybe he knocked out a good round

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Pro golfers are entitled, whiney beyatches. Put your appletinis down and put your man pants on. Play it as it lies.

Kind of agree with the idea behind this post. The USGA tries a new type of course. Yes it is different than the typical US Open setup. Yes they have to learn how to deal with those courses. But some guys really act like they are scared of change. At our jobs also not everything is perfect, not even talking about the courses we play. Accept the challenge.

Seriously? your not watching the US Open because you don't like the condition of the greens?

It's not just the greens. The fairways look like crap too, but watching balls hop around like the greens were just aerated is just painful. The coverage is horrendous too.

Carl - I'm guessing your not watching because your fantasy team included Tiger, Rickie, & Oostie and you can't watch another +28 performance today.

Amirite?

Not even close. My team is Phil, DJ, Reed, Spieth, Koepka, Hoffman, Matsuyama and Rory. Unfortunately, DJ and Reed are on the bench, but we'll see how they do this afternoon. I would say I'm doing quite well actually. you would have to be a moron to put Tiger on your team. I still have 10 starts with him and doubt I will use even 1. I almost went with Rickie, but thankfully pulled him.

- Shane

Man...i must have really mised something. I watched most of the streaming coverage of phils group. The greens looked like they were rolling fine. I saw a couple putts that wobbled a bit as they died in the afternoon. But i would think that wveeyone should know by now that could happen if you didnt have enough pace. I watched the lowest first rouns scoring in many years..so there seemed to be plenty of putts going in. And frankly to me the course was amazing. There is more to golf in the united states then flat parkland courses.... The only thing i would be worried about is if mike davis screws this up. I actually thought the streaming coverage was pretty good, but i didnt have the volume up.
  • Upvote 1

It's not just the greens. The fairways look like crap too, but watching balls hop around like the greens were just aerated is just painful. The coverage is horrendous too.

I watched a good amount yesterday and the ball wasn't doing that at all.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I watched a good amount yesterday and the ball wasn't doing that at all.

I guess I'm watching a different tournament. Correction... not watching a different tournament. Y'all enjoy.

- Shane

That topped 3 wood on the 18th by Tiger....I actually feel bad for the guy. His post round interview was sad to watch. I really hope he gets his game back soon.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32quattro View Post

Robert Trent Jones Jr has designed a popular Golf Course here in Perth  called Joondalup Resort. I played just one's there because of the elevation requiring only motorised vehicle and making the walking journey a nightmare. Perfect irons shots in the middle of the fairways ending on quarries right and left (usually blind shots). Overkilling a golf course is not difficult and Chambers Bay is no different. Huge wide bunkers instead of the classic pot shape. Elevations more close to a mountain bike race. I believe the greens are just fine as they are but the 'moon walk' to the flag is ridiculous.

The 2 injured caddies are completing the picture.

While I'm not a fan of a "created" course like CB, you are missing out on the current trend toward natural areas, large undulating greens and firm and fast conditions. By the way, courses like St. Andrews and other British links courses often punish "perfect" shots. Have you heard the term "rub of the green"?

Note: This thread is 3217 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!