IGNORED

Paula Creamer wants a Women’s Masters at Augusta [SB Nation]

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you really want to make it 'equal', then don't seperate women's sports from the men's. So all are competing in the same field, from the same tees, and only the best keep standing. That being said, as a result probably 0 women will make it to Augusta (top 50 of the world). Since women (and probably some men also) don't like that, we have seperate women's leagues (LPGA) and men's (PGA), so that also means seperate tournaments and for the most part on different courses. Since that's the case you can't "demand" (not sure if anyone did?) or "insist" that there will be an Augusta Masters tournament for women. Asking is free, but the answer can and probably will be 'no'.

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Augusta needs to have a Womens Masters. The R&A; are in the process of having members of the few remaining male only clubs vote for female mebers and the womens open now has many of the same courses that are on the mens rota.

For Augusta, having recently allowed female members, it would only enhance their reputation. I dont agree with having men and women play in the same comp as that is a daft idea. There are many female golfers that are better than some of the guys on tour but if you made it a mised tournament you would just get too many complaints from golfers saying they could have had a place but he/she took the spot. too messy

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I'd like to see it, they could do it in the summer so as to not conflict with the members' playing season, maybe a couple weeks after close or prior to opening. I think the St Andrews thing worked out very well and gave us another opportunity to see that awesome place. 20 years ago no one could imagine having the ladies play there. I enjoy watching the women because by and large, they're playing the course in much the same way I would; same distances, often same clubs, etc. So it would be kinda fun to see how they'd fare at Augusta.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I don't think Augusta needs to do anything other than host the Masters for the PGA. If the LPGA wants to have a Masters, they need to find their own exclusive course.

Chris

I don't play golf, I play at golf. There's a difference.

TM RBZ driver, RBZ Stage 2 Tour 3 wood, RBZ 7 wood, TM Burner 2.0 4-AW, Cleveland CG16 Black Pearl 56* sand wedge, Yes! Golf Valerie putter, Snake Eyes golf balls, TM stand bag

I don't think Augusta needs to do anything other than host the Masters for the PGA. If the LPGA wants to have a Masters, they need to find their own exclusive course.

Maybe the LPGA could get the "Donald" to build a clone Masters course.............

Hate crowned cups.

They don't even have to call it the Masters, find another name, the key is to let a Pro tour have a major at the nicest course in the country, it would be fun for the fans and of course, great for the players.

That being said I can see them not being interested, purely because of the He-Man Woman Haters Club thing, it's amazing how this persists, but I think in about 20 years all of the old farts that make these decisions will drop dead and golf can finally move on from this idiotic thinking.

• Upvote 1

I think there is a good middle ground to be had here.  I would be strongly opposed to another tournament (ANY other tournament - that includes the Ryder Cup) at Augusta, for reasons I posted in that Ryder Cup thread.

Quote:
I fear that any more use or exposure to us would actually diminish the aura and romance of the place.  The fact that we only see it for one week out of the year - and during the height of the blooming season - is a huge part of the draw.

And I think I probably under-emphasized the "blooming season" part of that statement.  The Augusta mystique is borne out of the perfection of the course.  Watching a pro tournament there without everything being perfectly green, regardless of who was playing in it, would be a bad thing IMO.

However, for me, a big part of a lot of tournaments I watch - not just the Masters - is the course, so it stands to reason that if the women could start playing more often on prestigious courses, I (and perhaps others) would watch a little more often.

So how about a women's masters that plays at Pebble Beach or Torrey or Bethpage or Merion or some of the other US Open or PGA rota courses??  I'd watch the crap out of that. :-P

I think there is a good middle ground to be had here.  I would be strongly opposed to another tournament (ANY other tournament - that includes the Ryder Cup) at Augusta, for reasons I posted in that Ryder Cup thread.

And I think I probably under-emphasized the "blooming season" part of that statement.  The Augusta mystique is borne out of the perfection of the course.  Watching a pro tournament there without everything being perfectly green, regardless of who was playing in it, would be a bad thing IMO.

However, for me, a big part of a lot of tournaments I watch - not just the Masters - is the course, so it stands to reason that if the women could start playing more often on prestigious courses, I (and perhaps others) would watch a little more often.

So how about a women's masters that plays at Pebble Beach or Torrey or Bethpage or Merion or some of the other US Open or PGA rota courses??  I'd watch the crap out of that.

I think only Pine Valley would be an equivalent get. And as much as Augusta ain't happening, that REALLY ain't happening.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I think only Pine Valley would be an equivalent get. And as much as Augusta ain't happening, that REALLY ain't happening.

No need to equate to Augusta, just need to compare to current LPGA courses.  I watched the Lotte championship last night, and while it was enjoyable and pretty much any Hawaii course is good, I think something that I knew of (Kapalua, Kaanapali, Mauna Kea) would be better. :beer:

No need to equate to Augusta, just need to compare to current LPGA courses.  I watched the Lotte championship last night, and while it was enjoyable and pretty much any Hawaii course is good, I think something that I knew of (Kapalua, Kaanapali, Mauna Kea) would be better.:beer:

Concur, I think the course looks like one of the Dallas muni's, which I like very much, but count me unimpressed with that particular Hawaii venue.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

They should bring them out here again. They were killing it during the Solheim Cup. I think they played at 7000 yards for that. CO has quite a few courses more interesting than where they usually play. I tend to watch more LPGA when they are in Asia.

Dave :-)

I thought they already have two tournaments (majors?) that play at the same course every year so what advantage is there for them to add another?  If the courses they selected aren't popular or worth playing on there are thousands of other courses not named Augusta National they could pick from.

Joe Paradiso

They should bring them out here again. They were killing it during the Solheim Cup. I think they played at 7000 yards for that. CO has quite a few courses more interesting than where they usually play. I tend to watch more LPGA when they are in Asia.

Fun Solheim Cup, course looked awesome. Doesn't 7,000 out there equate to about 6300 down here on earth?

Fun Solheim Cup, course looked awesome. Doesn't 7,000 out there equate to about 6300 down here on earth?

For me sea level is about one club difference. I know at SC a few of them hit drives over 300 but it was the ladies that are near the top of the driving distance stats on holes that played downhill. Seems like one of those holes was one or ten.

OT: I play at Colorado National home of the CU Buffs and have been in the group behind the Lady Buffs out for a round. They played the same tees I did that day 6617 yards. One girl went for a drivable par 4 over water #17 and made it over but not to the green. It's probably a 260-270ish carry. I think the LPGA playing in regions where shots like that are possible could bring some flash to the tour.

Dave :-)

I think Augusta needs to have a Womens Masters. The R&A; are in the process of having members of the few remaining male only clubs vote for female mebers and the womens open now has many of the same courses that are on the mens rota.

For Augusta, having recently allowed female members, it would only enhance their reputation....

I don't think Billy Payne or anybody else at Augusta cares about their reputation in that regard, to be honest.  It seemed to me that they very grudgingly allowed those (few) women members in 2012, and only as tokens to silence what had become a very public and very controversial issue.  Even if all the logistics of hosting another tournament there could be worked out perfectly, I'm of the opinion that ANGC simply doesn't want a bunch of women invading their good ol' boys club, and wouldn't do it no matter what.

I get what Paula Creamer wants and why she (and the LPGA) would want it, but I think they're wasting time and barking up the wrong tree.  It doesn't matter if the fans want it, the LPGA wants it, the sponsors want it, the television networks want it...if Billy Payne and the ANGC board of directors don't want it, it ain't gonna happen.  And as they've already shown, they don't want it.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

They own the place. They don't need to do anything!  They shut down in the heat of summer.  If they can put the Master's on without sponsors, and still pay out the prizes, give out the Crystal, and not even flip a switch at what is being written, then some LPGA pro wistfully dreaming away will make no indentation on them.  I watch Women's golf. It is a decent product.  But, as mentioned above find a permanent venue and try out the invite only scenario and see how it flies.

As much as I like Paula, I don't think this is a good idea.  A major takes a ton of work and volunteers and does a lot of damage to a course.  One Pro tournament a year should be the limit.  Last years US Open probably got the idea going.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't think Billy Payne or anybody else at Augusta cares about their reputation in that regard, to be honest.  It seemed to me that they very grudgingly allowed those (few) women members in 2012, and only as tokens to silence what had become a very public and very controversial issue.  Even if all the logistics of hosting another tournament there could be worked out perfectly, I'm of the opinion that ANGC simply doesn't want a bunch of women invading their good ol' boys club, and wouldn't do it no matter what.

I get what Paula Creamer wants and why she (and the LPGA) would want it, but I think they're wasting time and barking up the wrong tree.  It doesn't matter if the fans want it, the LPGA wants it, the sponsors want it, the television networks want it...if Billy Payne and the ANGC board of directors don't want it, it ain't gonna happen.  And as they've already shown, they don't want it.

Augusta Nationals membership is confidential, None of us know with certainty how many women are actually members beyond what they chose to make public.  They are a private club, they have zero obligation to do anything for the LPGA unless they decide it benefits their club and membership.

The Masters is a great tournament and course so I can see why Paula is envious but there's nothing stopping the LPGA from duplicating the event at another great course.  As I said in an earlier post, they should reach out to Trump and pitch the idea that they'd like him to create the "greatest" tournament for the LPGA, something that rivals the Masters for the men at one of his showcase courses.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!