IGNORED

Does the greenside fringe (1st) cut count for a GIR ?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

All I care about is the final score.

While I agree, GIR and near-GIR have a high correlation (and causation, for that matter) to final score, so they're worth trying to improve.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It isn't GIR in my book, but as you observe, not all "not GIR" are required equal.

There is no book.

There is no discussion.

There is no matter of opinion.

There is not even any hint of the opportunity for debate.

On the green means on the green.

In the same way that in the hole means in the hole.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Wow @Shorty actually made me laugh out loud, and I 100% agree!

Unless you're

It shouldn't be that surprising; he's actually kind of a funny.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Statistically, you must be on the putting surface for it to count for a green in regulation.

However, if it's for your personal statistics, go ahead and count a fringe lie that you can putt easily if you think it helps you analyze your game better.  We had this discussion last year, with shorty and a few others insisting that you not count it, even if it's for your own personal stats, as if it matters.  Like you're cheating or something.  Such a joke.

• Upvote 1

"Witty golf quote."

If padding stats is the goal just think how awesome your scrambling stats will be if you hit a lot of fringe.

Of course, one's putting statistics will suffer so while one gains in one area, the other goes to hell.

Brian Kuehn

Thanks guys - now I have my answer !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Game Golf doesn't count it as a GIR.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Having read all the opinions, I'm wondering which answer you're sticking with.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

well the green being the green and the fringe not being the green you can go that way as we purists do.

same as putting. If I chip on the green it is still a putt.

Although it would not count on tour (and I'm not on tour), I've always counted it as half a GIR if the ball is on the fringe and close enough to putt (usually off the green by a foot or less). So at the end of the round, if I've had four cases of missing a green by a foot or less and used the putter each time, that totals two GIRs. That's just for my own diagnostic purposes to see in which areas of the game I'm improving and in which I'm losing ground. Otherwise, a ball an inch off the green would count the same as one in the trap, or the water, or 50 yards short of the green, which would be misleading statistically.

I sometimes hear golf announcers comment about a shot that is six inches off the green but less than 10 feet from hole: "That won't count as a GIR on the stat sheet, but it's still a good shot."

Just my .02 worth.

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R9-460, 10.5 degrees, graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: MacGregor 1025 V-Foil forged irons, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados mallet, 35 inches with SuperStroke 2.0 grip                                                                                                      Ball: Titleist AVX yellow 

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

Having read all the opinions, I'm wondering which answer you're sticking with.

I try to play legit (at least to the best of my remedial understanding of the rules), so if it's not on the green, I won't count it.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Hopefully some day we will get new and improved stats and stat trackers. I'd really like to know how far I miss green not just how often.

Dave :-)

Where have you seen conflicting opinions? It's as black and white as it gets, isn't it? There's no grey area at all.

That's not to say that for all intents and purposes being a foot off the green may as well be on the green. Unless you are compiling statistics.

And if you are not compiling stats but analyzing your own game then you get to make your own judgments on these things.

Hopefully some day we will get new and improved stats and stat trackers. I'd really like to know how far I miss green not just how often.

Exactly.  If you hit it a foot away from the green and can putt it it certainly is not a GIR for "stat" purposes.  But then we have to ask what the purpose of the stat is.  If we are comparing to other people we need a common definition.  But if we are using them to analyze our own game then we each decide what makes sense to us.

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I try to play legit (at least to the best of my remedial understanding of the rules), so if it's not on the green, I won't count it.

Just remember, the stats you keep are not governed by the rules of golf.  I've mentioned that when I evaluate the quality of my play, there are times when the ball being on or off the green is of secondary importance.  However, when the ball is on the green, a number of procedures and opportunities for relief change under the rules, so the ball's location on or off the green becomes of primary importance.  For instance, you can lift, clean, and place your ball on the green.  If you're on the green, you can take relief for an abnormal ground condition (like casual water) that doesn't interfere with your stance or swing, but does lie on your intended line of putt.  If you're off the green, you're out of luck  I know there are others, but you get my point.  Playing by the rules is the only way to go, for me.  Using the same definitions for statistics as everyone else, much less important.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Can you say that a ball is in a bunker if it is on the fairway? I've heard people say that it has to be in a hazard to count as being in a hazard.  If you have  a 5 can you call it a 4?

The rules of this game just drive me crazy! It's so confusing?

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Appropriately enough, it gets pronounced "Faux-G.I.R."

[quote name="bubble" url="/t/81735/does-the-greenside-fringe-1st-cut-count-for-a-gir/0_100#post_1135914"]funny. "Faux" is french for false. [/quote]That's why he said it...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

In a related matter, I track drives by fairways hit, first cut hit, and other.

My overall goal is to put my drives in first cut of rough or better.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3306 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!