IGNORED

Post Your "Death Shot" with Pics/Video

CarlSpackler

On 4/9/2017 at 3:18 PM, billchao said:

Had this shot this morning:392017151424.jpg

One of my playing partners asked how you're even supposed to play that shot and I responded, "Just slam the clubhead hard into bank and hope you don't hurt yourself." Managed to just pop it onto the green.

WOW! That looks brutal. Years and years ago, while playing somewhere in Chicagoland I had a ball end up very much like that. I tried to slam it out but ended up driving it deep... I mean DEEP under the grass, never to be seen again. As far as I know that ball is still under there. 

The story continued from there. Since I was lying 2, literally under the turf I took an unplayable lie. I didn't retrieve the old ball. I just tried to drop a new one in the bunker one club-length away. Do to the slope I ended up having to place it. Things kind of went off the rails from there. When it was all said and done I ended up making an 11 on that par-3. My buddies and I called it my "Spinal Tap" hole...  "This par three goes to eleven".

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Why one club length?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Why one club length?

Because one of the guys I was playing with told me that was the rule for an unplayable lie. "You only get one club length... and it has to be the club you are going to hit."  That's what he told me and I didn't know any better so.... 

Number 10 at Cobblestone in Acworth, GA.

I was seemingly dead, under a tree, nearly 170 yards, and with an ocean of sand between me and the green.  I played a punch shot with a five iron, which came off exactly as I envisioned it, but only better.  I was simply hoping to get close enough to the green to play a standard bunker shot, take my bogey, and move on.  Instead, the ball came out low, and then started to rise like the shot Kenny Lee hits in Dead Solid Perfect.  It reached its apex, and then dropped onto the green to give me a decent shot at a birdie.  Missed the birdie, but I made the par, which was one of only a very few bright spots on the day.

Cobblestone 10.jpg

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On 5/27/2020 at 5:06 AM, Vinsk said:

#9 Par 4 at my course. Pulled my drive ( I’m left handed) and was in jail to the right. Smoked a gap wedge with a huge hook and a left to right wind to pull this shot off. Saved par.4901E8B5-1690-4E9D-B494-57772A546386.thumb.jpeg.c3c765cd32481f926057ad9c065f56d8.jpeg

Did you manage to avoid the unleashed dog?

• Like 1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Because one of the guys I was playing with told me that was the rule for an unplayable lie. "You only get one club length... and it has to be the club you are going to hit."  That's what he told me and I didn't know any better so.... 

Learn the rules my man.

Two club lengths (and basically, your driver).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Learn the rules my man.

Two club lengths (and basically, your driver).

I know that now. But at the time... 

Anyway, that may not have been the only 11 I've ever made. But, I'm pretty sure it's the only 11 I ever made on a par 3. 

32 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Were you playing him for money? 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Were you playing him for money? 😜

Ha ha, no. He was just one of those golf no it all's. I'm sure he told me lots of other shit that was wrong, but this is the only one I remember. 

This was back in the day before we all had the internet in our pocket. Today, I could easily look up the rule. Back then, not so much. 

It was all worth it though, because we got to coin the phrase "Spinal Tap" hole. 

Now you can take 2 strokes and drop outside the bunker on a straight line back from the hole. It would have been nice to have that one back in the day.

- Shane

This one was fun yesterday:

Me in the Weeds.jpg

Credit to @Braivo for taking the picture. That's @klineka and @iacas on the green pointing and laughing at me for being in jail, with @Hardspoon off to the right.

Here's my lie:

Lie in the Weeds.jpeg

I swung hard (too hard) and caught the ball cleaner than I thought I would, but the grass grabbed the hosel and shut the clubface so I ended up pulling it well left and over the green. Hit a pitch from there that landed right in the middle of the green and almost rolled back into the weeds again. Good times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Credit to @Braivo for taking the picture. That's @klineka and @iacas on the green pointing and laughing at me for being in jail, with @Hardspoon off to the right.

@Divot Master and I were on the next tee having a good chuckle at your expense too. Karma bit me in the ole butt and handed me a quadruple on that hole though. 

- Shane

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

@Divot Master and I were on the next tee having a good chuckle at your expense too. Karma bit me in the ole butt and handed me a quadruple on that hole though. 

Fortunately you can only post net double. 🙂

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Fortunately you can only post net double. 🙂

Yes, for handicap purposes. What really hurts is the drop I took. As we were driving to the hole, I noticed some divots to the left of the green tee box, so I dropped there assuming that to be the drop area and thinned a 9i under the tree behind the green. When we drove to the green I see this white circle with a drop area sign behind the green that was nothing more than a long chip or really short pitch.

homer simpson doh GIF

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...

I can probably reply in this topic every round I play, TBH. Here’s today’s gem:

76F1F81F-C3C6-48A1-BD5D-676ABAFB2069.jpeg

Can’t go for it because the overhanging limbs prevented me from hitting a shot more than 10’ in the air. I half-thought about  hitting a punch shot that lands just on the green and rolls off the back of it, but here’s another look at the lie:

E64700C4-6969-4209-82C2-AFCB4B334692.jpeg

I chipped it left back towards the fairway.

87E76FA8-2889-4668-B8D0-965EF38D3392.jpeg

In hindsight I probably should have chipped it away from the hole instead of towards the hole because I almost put it in the pond and got lucky that the ball ended up in some shorter stuff in the fescue.

Bill

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

I can probably reply in this topic every round I play, TBH. Here’s today’s gem:

76F1F81F-C3C6-48A1-BD5D-676ABAFB2069.jpeg

Can’t go for it because the overhanging limbs prevented me from hitting a shot more than 10’ in the air. I half-thought about  hitting a punch shot that lands just on the green and rolls off the back of it, but here’s another look at the lie:

E64700C4-6969-4209-82C2-AFCB4B334692.jpeg

I chipped it left back towards the fairway.

87E76FA8-2889-4668-B8D0-965EF38D3392.jpeg

In hindsight I probably should have chipped it away from the hole instead of towards the hole because I almost put it in the pond and got lucky that the ball ended up in some shorter stuff in the fescue.

Bill’s WITB:

F645D9DF-7998-4A28-B374-387E694593C9.thumb.jpeg.40d91e6009c4df3051514f080ed78f30.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

This was a good one from Sunday's round.  The course had a windstorm during the week that broke off hundreds (!) of trees.  You can see the flag left-center of the photo.  

IMG_1080.JPG

I went for it...why the heck not.  Tried to punch a 5-iron through the "window"...ended up catching one of the overhanging limbs and dropping down about 10' later.  Fortunately clear of the trouble, so I was able to hit onto the green with my next shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

- John