IGNORED

Snell Golf Ball Member Reviews

Note: This thread is 2379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I have a buddy of mine who loves the MyTour ball but now is on a Yellow Ball only kick.  So he is playing the new Chrome soft.  I think @iacas said in another post that it was unlikely that the MTB would come in Yellow.

Bah, what does he know?!?! ;)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
54 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Bah, what does he know?!?! ;)

I also don't think I said that. I think I was responding to someone else who gave information that supported not doing yellow balls.

I didn't ask Dean or anything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On April 5, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Golfingdad said:

They now offer a yellow version of the Get Sum ball.  I'm starting to become tempted to try playing yellow balls, which I've never done.  If/when they come out with yellow in the MTB, I might snag some.

Dean Snell has stated that the soft thin cast urethane cover is not receptive to dyes as is thicker urethane. He uses cast urethane (as does Titleist and TM) for better greenside performance. Unless design/tech changes, if he's using cast urethane, you are unlikely to see yellow MTB.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

11 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Dean Snell has stated that the soft thin cast urethane cover is not receptive to dyes as is thicker urethane. He uses cast urethane (as does Titleist and TM) for better greenside performance. Unless design/tech changes, if he's using cast urethane, you are unlikely to see yellow MTB.

Interesting.    I got several dozen of the Vice Pro flamingo balls and they are standard men's balls, cast urehane (IIRC) and painted pink.  I wonder how they will hold up.  

Note that I have only played the pink ones once yet (I have a bunch of white ones as well) and I noticed some pink on one of my clubs so maybe it will come off if I keep the ball long enough.  Rarely do I see white from the ball on my clubs.  

I love the Snell balls.   The MTB is probably right up there with the Pro V1.  I really think Dean knows what he is taking about.  

—Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought another 6 dozen, not only is the font changed but now it says MTB instead of the My Tour Ball.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I just bought another 6 dozen, not only is the font changed but now it says MTB instead of the My Tour Ball.

The new side stamp was approved somewhat recently, yeah.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

The new side stamp was approved somewhat recently, yeah.

I like it! :beer:

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 1 month later...

So a year after this batch of testing was done, another golf forum is doing a similar forum-member testing of the My Tour and Get Sum balls, and I've been selected to participate.  After reading all the comments here, I'm even more excited to get some of these to try out.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

So a year after this batch of testing was done, another golf forum is doing a similar forum-member testing of the My Tour and Get Sum balls, and I've been selected to participate.  After reading all the comments here, I'm even more excited to get some of these to try out.

They are good. They are the only golf balls I buy now.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 1 year later...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here....

Last month I was privileged to have been sent a dozen Snell MTB's as a result of somehow winning member of the month.  I hadn't previously played Snells, and thought it might be worthwhile to give a little review of my impressions now that I've played them exclusively for my last 5 rounds.

To put my observations into context, until about a year ago, I had played ProV1's almost exclusively for about 5 years.  I loved the combination of distance, soft feel, and spin on shortish chips and pitches.  I had tried the ProV1x, and liked it, but it felt a little firmer off the tee and while putting, and didn't spin quite as much as I liked around the green.  Right or wrong, I've always preferred to play spinny little pitches.  About a year ago I decided to try the Bridgestone B330RX.  The power of advertising, but I wanted to see if it was better suited to my 58 year-old swing speed than the ProV1.  I liked it a lot, and felt that it was a bit longer than the ProV, and that was enough to make the switch.  I subsequently tried the B330RX-S and found it to be just as long, plus softer feeling and more spinny around the green.  It's been my exclusive ball for close to a year now.

Now, on to the Snell MTB...

According to GHIN my last 20 rounds scoring average is 81.1 with 8 rounds in the 70's, and a low score of 76.  My scoring average for these past 5 rounds is 79.6 with rounds of 76, 78, 79, 82, and 83, so no complaints there. :-) 

Initial impressions are of a bright white, very visible ball, with an attractive, somewhat Titleist-esque cursive type logo.  The ball has proven to be very tough.  I played 2 rounds with a single ball and could barely tell it from new.  Granted, my swing speed isn't high enough to shred balls with a wedge, but absent catching the rocks or a cart path, these suckers hold up, easily as well as either the Titleists or Bridgestones.   

Performance reminds me a LOT of the ProV1x.  Just a little firm off the tee and the putter.  While spin is adequate around the green, it seems to release a bit more than the ProV1 or the B330RX-S.  Again, very similar to the ProV1x or the B330RX.  That's not bad, it just requires a little adjustment inside 80 yards and around the green.  Distance is very important to me.  I only carry a driver about 230ish and just can't afford to give up anything at all.  The MTB seems to have a little higher trajectory and better "hang time" than either of my previous balls, but of course, that's tough to confirm without using a monitor.  What I am sure of is that I haven't lost any distance, either off the tee, or with any irons.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Snell MTB.  Especially when you consider that they can be had for about $27/dozen when you buy 5 dozen.  Make no mistake though, this isn't just a good ball "for the money"...this is a very good ball by any measure.  I highly recommend that anyone who prefers a high-end tour ball give it a try.

Thanks to @iacas, the TST team, and @SnellGolf for the opportunity to give them a try.  :beer:

• Upvote 5

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

18 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

I gotta order a sleeve of these.

Yes.  I'm sort of using up the end of my supply of other balls, but I have an abundance of other balls.  When I have used them up, I'm going to switch to the Snells full time.  

Maybe I should just do that anyway.  I really like the Get Sum.  I think I have a sleeve or two of the MTB in case I ever think it's something I could use. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

10 hours ago, Shindig said:

Yes.  I'm sort of using up the end of my supply of other balls, but I have an abundance of other balls.  When I have used them up, I'm going to switch to the Snells full time.  

Maybe I should just do that anyway.  I really like the Get Sum.  I think I have a sleeve or two of the MTB in case I ever think it's something I could use. 

I just buy balls,lots of em. When I find one I love, I buy 5-6 dozen. I usually play one round with a ball and throw it in the practice bucket, unless its torn to hell from hard wedge shots or whatever. 

This year i've been playing TP5's as my main ball. It's amazing, but it would never survive two rounds.

Edited by Apoc81

On 6/9/2017 at 5:42 AM, Apoc81 said:

I just buy balls,lots of em. When I find one I love, I buy 5-6 dozen.

Perfect, Snell offers a nice discount when you order 6 dozen

On 2017-06-10 at 1:37 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

Perfect, Snell offers a nice discount when you order 6 dozen

I'm playing the tp5, and I have six Kirkland Signature balls I need to try out. Loved my first round with them. I really hope Costco does another runof them.

I don't have much faith in snell being as good as the balls I play. I'm sitting on 5.5 dozen TP5's, and a dozen each of tp5, prov1 and prov1x. So I certainly won't run out of balls this season. 

Still interested in trying a sleeve though.

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

I don't have much faith in snell being as good as the balls I play.

You'll find that your lack of faith is wrong as soon as you give them a shot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Apoc81 said:

I'm playing the tp5, and I have six Kirkland Signature balls I need to try out. Loved my first round with them. I really hope Costco does another runof them.

FYI, Dean Snell (https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/about-dean-snell) helped create the original Pro-V and the Original Taylormade Penta golf ball. So, you are playing a golf ball that has its founding from the man who created the Snell golf ball. ;)

1 hour ago, Apoc81 said:

I don't have much faith in snell being as good as the balls I play. I'm sitting on 5.5 dozen TP5's, and a dozen each of tp5, prov1 and prov1x. So I certainly won't run out of balls this season. 

Still interested in trying a sleeve though.

They are just as good as any top brand golf ball out there. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, Apoc81 said:

I don't have much faith in snell being as good as the balls I play. I'm sitting on 5.5 dozen TP5's, and a dozen each of tp5, prov1 and prov1x.

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

FYI, Dean Snell (https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/about-dean-snell) helped create the original Pro-V and the Original Taylormade Penta golf ball. So, you are playing a golf ball that has its founding from the man who created the Snell golf ball. ;)

They are just as good as any top brand golf ball out there. 

Umm, exactly 

ps - I have a dozen Pro-V and a dozen Snell MTB.  I'm putting the Snells in play in the State Am qualifier this Tuesday.

Edited by Denny Bang Bang
ps -
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2379 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!