Sign in to follow this  
iacas

What do you think of Slow-Mo Video Analysis of PGA Tour players on TV?

Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What's your opinion of the slow-mo video analysis announcers will do during coverage of PGA Tour events?

• I learn a lot.
    • I watch it for the laughs.
    • It's horrible.
    • Meh.

45 posts / 3662 viewsLast Reply

It's pretty bad, yea, but at least it's not as bad as it was five years ago. It's still bad, but these guys are at least aware of some better information nowadays, and occasionally it shines through. They still say odd things like "resisting the lower body," or "full release," but… I dunno, it's not as cringe inducing as it used to be. Maybe I'm just inured to it these days.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted for the laughs. Kostis today proved he doesn't understand simple angles.

I noticed this too!

I voted horrible today but 3+ years ago before I was a member of TST I'd have voted "I learn a lot".  I think we take for granted how poor the information about the golf swing is in the non TST world.

It's great to watch the video to see the back swing and downswing positions in slow motion, but most of the time the analysis is pretty bad!

For laughs, meh..

They reveal the golf's most profound secrets on TV all the time ".. and this ladies and gents, is why, this 5 ft 9 inch man weighing 150 lbs. hits it well over 300 yards.."

I've learned a lot from the high-speed replays. For instance, I realized what ball first, then turf meant when watching Tiger hit an iron on high-speed - watching the bottom of the grooves dig and stress the shaft engravedl in my head to really hit down at the ball (obviously weight forward at impact). Forever fixed my iron swing and knew what actual compression was when the ball would just "spring" off the club face.

I wonder who the 9 people who voted that they learned a lot are.

I voted for laughs because I think it's funny when someone that has been involved in some capacity with golf for at least 10 years says that is totally wrong and I arrogantly know it is while only being involved with golf for 3 years (because of TST. :-D ).

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/05/17/rory-mcilroy_s-powerful-swing-is-analyzed-at-wells-fargo.html

Haha, "greater than 90 degrees".

He needs to take a look at a protractor, if he was increasing the angle he would be casting the club.

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/05/17/rory-mcilroy_s-powerful-swing-is-analyzed-at-wells-fargo.html

Lol. Hilarious.

I noticed in another swing analysis, Kostis said the opposite of what he meant. I think he meant more control vs less control when commenting on one of McIlroy's swings. This and the angle decreases rather than increases in the other swing vid - I hope they're just mental faux pas. Like when you once in a while say left when you meant right.

[URL=http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/05/17/rory-mcilroy_s-powerful-swing-is-analyzed-at-wells-fargo.html]http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/05/17/rory-mcilroy_s-powerful-swing-is-analyzed-at-wells-fargo.html[/URL]

How on Earth do they keep that video on their site? *boggle*

I noticed in another swing analysis, Kostis said the opposite of what he meant. I think he meant more control vs less control when commenting on one of McIlroy's swings. This and the angle decreases rather than increases in the other swing vid - I hope they're just mental faux pas. Like when you once in a while say left when you meant right.

I'm sure you're right - it was just a brain fart. But, that was prerecorded, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't go back and fix it. Unless he actually doesn't understand angles.

Note: This thread is 1861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!