IGNORED

"Moving the needle" and Rory vs. Rickie vs. Tiger

k-troop
Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="ccotenj" url="/t/82048/moving-the-needle-and-rory-vs-rickie-vs-tiger/108#post_1190786"] i agree with you... you hit the right word, "drama"... to me, some sports (like racing) can be watched "plausibly live" and maintain the same dramatic impact, whereas others (like football and golf) lose something... even if i don't know the result, it isn't "the same" watching those recorded... i think it is because the gaps in play (that you would ff thru if dvr'd) are part of building the drama of the event, whereas in racing, the gaps in play (commercials, cautions, etc.), are simply downtime...[/QUOTE] I think that is the biggest factor for me. I am conditioned to have to wait for the drama to unfold.  Fast forwarding through the game makes it feel far less climatic and no tension builds.

yup... that is it... :-) the difference between watching an nfl game "live" and watching the "all 22 tape" is huge, even if you don't know the outcome...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj

when it comes to inventions, the dvr is right up there with the flushing toilet...

I just can't get behind the DVR...

To me sports are meant to be watched live, not recorded and hours afterwards.  The drama just isn't there for me and I can't sit through the event like I can when its live.

It's no different from live as long as you don't know the results.  I make a point of staying in a media vacuum when I record a sporting event like that, then when I watch it, there is no less excitement because for me it IS live.

When I was still working (back then it was VCR instead of DVR), I used to almost always record Bronco games on Sunday and play golf during the actual game, because it was the only time I could get a weekend tee time without having to sit on the reservation line dialing and redialing for 25 minutes only to be told that the best available time was 5 PM.  The course was usually almost empty when the Broncos played, especially for home games, so it made for fast, fun rounds.  The only time I got upset was when one of my buddies insisted on listening on the radio and blabbing the score to me.  They learned to just leave me out of it and have their game conversations out of my hearing.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumaAttack

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj

when it comes to inventions, the dvr is right up there with the flushing toilet...

I just can't get behind the DVR...

To me sports are meant to be watched live, not recorded and hours afterwards.  The drama just isn't there for me and I can't sit through the event like I can when its live.

It's no different from live as long as you don't know the results.  I make a point of staying in a media vacuum when I record a sporting event like that, then when I watch it, there is no less excitement because for me it IS live.

When I was still working (back then it was VCR instead of DVR), I used to almost always record Bronco games on Sunday and play golf during the actual game, because it was the only time I could get a weekend tee time without having to sit on the reservation line dialing and redialing for 25 minutes only to be told that the best available time was 5 PM.  The course was usually almost empty when the Broncos played, especially for home games, so it made for fast, fun rounds.  The only time I got upset was when one of my buddies insisted on listening on the radio and blabbing the score to me.  They learned to just leave me out of it and have their game conversations out of my hearing.

For me it's purely psychological.  I know the outcome has already been decided, so it doesn't have the same impact when I watch it later.  The drama and tension just isn't there for me and I can't enjoy it as if I was watching it live.

One of my golf buddies DVRs the games and if we happen to be playing on Sunday, he tells us right from the start that if we're going to check scores, don't say anything about it where he can hear it. :-)

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

For me it's purely psychological.  I know the outcome has already been decided, so it doesn't have the same impact when I watch it later.  The drama and tension just isn't there for me and I can't enjoy it as if I was watching it live. One of my golf buddies DVRs the games and if we happen to be playing on Sunday, he tells us right from the start that if we're going to check scores, don't say anything about it where he can hear it.  :-)

+1; if I know it's already happened, the drama gets taken out of it for me. Whether it's hockey, football, golf, etc., if my team or player I'm rooting for is involved, and I consider it "important (in sports terms)," I want to know what's going on as it happens, hence why I didn't play Sunday, haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• 3 weeks later...

Even though it's somewhat quiet in golf today, it's still shocking how much more discussion Tiger generates... especially when all he's done is commit to a tournament.

When you click on the article, the total comment count is up to 684.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Tiger still moves the needle because he's still polarizing. Half the people want to see him to get good again so they can say, I told you so, and the other half want to see him fail again so they can say, I told you so.

Neither Rory nor Rickie have magnetic personality. Jordan does, and it's all positive.

Tiger still moves the needle because he's still polarizing. Half the people want to see him to get good again so they can say, I told you so, and the other half want to see him fail again so they can say, I told you so.

Neither Rory nor Rickie have magnetic personality. Jordan does, and it's all positive.

Tiger = Polarizing....Yep, LMAO!

• 5 months later...

Tiger makes ONE golf swing in a simulator and it goes viral.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

38 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Tiger makes ONE golf swing in a simulator and it goes viral.

That's our boy!!!!!

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

So says Phil.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/phil-mickelson-says-no-one-playing-today-can-match-tiger

Phil Mickelson has made a habit of playing practice-round matches with the PGA Tour's young pups, including the likes of Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson and Brooks Koepka. The matches keep Mickelson sharp while also giving him an up-close look at the game's newest generation of stars. While impressed by the new guard, Mickelson says none of them has the raw talent of a certain 14-time major champion.

"There is nobody in the game that I have seen that is remotely close to the level of performance Tiger was in his prime," Mickelson said in an interview on the debut episode of GOLF LIVE. "Mentally, short game, or ball striking, I don’t think anybody matches him in any of those areas. And Tiger put them all together in one to create a career that is mind-boggling in the game of golf."

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 9 months later...

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-hero-world-challenge-tv-ratings-prove-tiger-woods-is-still-golfs-biggest-draw-and-its-not-even-close?mbid=social_twitter

TV ratings are in from Woods' latest return to the sport and they prove just that. Forget the state of his game, Tiger Woods is still golf's biggest draw. And it's not even close.

RELATED: Tiger Woods makes a HUGE jump in the world ranking

Let's start with Thursday's figures. While most of the country worked, the Hero World Challenge drew a .86 rating (or about 786,000 viewers), which was up 190 percent from coverage of last year's event when Woods didn't play. Those numbers may not sound crazy, but keep in mind, we're talking about the Hero World Challenge. In December. On a weekday.

Also, according to NBC/Golf Channel, that's the most-watched first round of any tournament (excluding the Ryder Cup) since the British Open. And it's also the most-watched fourth-quarter (Oct.-Dec.) round in Golf Channel history.

On Friday, the number dropped to .45, but that was up 200 percent over last year. And the weekend showed a similar trend. On Saturday, Golf Channel's live coverage was up 162 percent, while NBC's increased by 92 percent. And on Sunday, Golf Channel's live coverage was up 126 percent, while NBC's increased by 54 percent. Keep in mind, by the time NBC came on the air on Sunday, Woods had fallen well out of contention. And Hideki Matsuyama had a huge lead.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

We do not need tv ratings, just look at the number of messages here on the Hero thread compared to all of the playoff threads and other tourney threads.  

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 11 months later...

I can believe this - I paid for a weeks access to sky just to watch the event (PGA app didn't have it in the UK).  I watched Tiger play the 18th on the final day then switched off.  And this is from a fan of Rickie who really wants him to do well.  The only reason I watched this event was to see Tiger.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

I'm convinced that Tiger playing a practice round would outdraw the Masters final round. Sad

You should watch the Masters, when Tiger isn't playing. 
It would shock you how many people actually show up to watch all those hacks, chumps and posers who still manage to play a little bit of golf.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!