IGNORED

Chatty golf partners

notempo
Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I enjoy some conversation during a round of golf, but when it gets in the way of the game it gets annoying. I played Saturday with some very nice people but two of them were overly chatty, particularly when they were on the tees, and it slowed us down to the point that we were warned for slow play. Even then, they didn't get it, one thinking the warning was out of line.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with those who don't like instructional advice on the course. I am in that camp as well.

However, a buddy I play with every now and then seems to request feedback on his swing/line/etc during the round. I try to avoid giving him my thoughts b/c I wouldn't want someone giving me advice. Again, he seems to want the feedback, so occasionally give him my thoughts. I guess I'll just ask him, but anyone want advice from people you know on your swing mid-round?

It sounds like he's specifically requesting it, so I don't see a problem there.  I don't want/like unsolicited advice, but every so often I'll ask one of my partners where I was lined up, if I cut across the ball on that shot, etc.  I'll never offer unsolicited advice/tips, though - "do unto others..." and all that.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

People who talk way too much can distract me, and at times it's thrown my game off a bit if I have to concentrate.  However, playing with others is part of the game so I need to get used to it.   I did play years ago with someone who literally never stopped talking and I practically ran to my car from the 18th green.   He kept talking, talking, talking until I got into my car and drove off.

—Adam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin007

Chatter is fine. I don't like dead silence unless I'm playing by myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Silence during a round of golf is just awkward. There's a social aspect to the game and if you're going to spend 4+ hours with someone, not talking is just weird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RFKFREAK

I like people and talking so I would find it weird to not talk with someone during a round.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Silence during a round of golf is just awkward. There's a social aspect to the game and if you're going to spend 4+ hours with someone, not talking is just weird.

So introverts are weird?

Yeah.

It would be really weird to not talk during an entire round. I agree that it's annoying if they don't stop talking continuously for 4 hours, but casual conversation seems reasonably normal.

http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts?language=en

I guess it depends how extreme an introvert. You need to have some conversation, like "fore!!!", "tend or pull?", "mark left or right?", . . .

Seems like golf is a social game, and for an introvert to participate is like a having a person with seafood allergies going fishing?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I guess it depends how extreme an introvert. You need to have some conversation, like "fore!!!", "tend or pull?", "mark left or right?", . . .

Seems like golf is a social game, and for an introvert to participate is like a having a person with seafood allergies going fishing?

We just play as singles. :-D

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Quote:

We just play as singles.

Also good, but they do still need to yell "fore!!!" every now and then or "that's my ball". :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by krupa

Quote:

We just play as singles.

Also good, but they do still need to yell "fore!!!" every now and then or "that's my ball".

True but if someone can't do that, I think we're past introverts and on to people with crippling social anxiety who can't leave the house anyway.

I can make small talk but I find it very awkward and it interrupts my thinking. :whistle:

https://youtu.be/qS9L8wjXBEk?t=36

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

By nature, I'm an introvert... but I can't go 4+ hours without speaking to someone.  That said... I've been paired with a guy in our club twice and he's one of those guys who never stops talking.

The worst part is that he's talking about nothing, really.  But it goes on and on and on and on.

Last time I was paired with him, one of the other guys we were paired with kept shooting him sideways looks because he'd talk through other people's swings... a lot.  He was also one of those guys who'd wait to put his club back in his bag or undo the velcro on his glove until someone was in the middle of a swing.

I'm perfectly fine with chatting... small talk... whatever.  But, out of respect... I always shut up and stop moving when someone approaches their ball.

I don't have patience for inconsiderate actions.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

"Sorry, I'd hate to interrupt your story by actually hitting a golf shot, I'll wait until you're done"

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If I am playing with a group of strangers, I tend to stay real quiet. Sun glasses on, Speak when spoken to and just do my thing! I will ask them where they are from and some general questions, but nothing like if we were on a first date. I am not getting to know them. I will only most likely speak to them on the tee and green over the next 4 hours.

If I am with friends I tend to speak a little more. Some light conversation, some wise remarks but I am not looking to debate politics, religion or solve the crisis in the middle east.

I certainly dont want swing advice. If I hit a bad shot I know why. And worst of all if I am having a bad day dont correct my swing.Telling me your method of how to fix an issue does nothing but muck up my swing.

I should mention I play with a guy probably once a month who is a 10 handicap, but usually shoot about 4 over per round. I should note that this person has an interesting way of keeping score for himself, there is no score over bogies and most bogies that "should have been par" are written as par.

So if I am having an off day or hit a bad shot he usually yell out "lifted your head".

He gives advice to anyone and everyone, even though he has never had a lesson. He thinks most PGA teaching pros are hacks and usually responds with "what do they shoot".

In this same group is a vet who is partially deaf and has no volume control. So when you are putting he is usually still talking unaware of how loud he is.

But I try to turn the distractions into a positive,  I find that all the chatter has given me a chance to work on blocking it all out. I can not control what noises that are around me, but I can control my swing.

I can not stop people from honking as they drive by, but I can concentrate on blocking out the distractions.

Therefore I never have to blame anything for my bad swing but me.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Actually I have found that I play better when the talk is about anything other than golf. I guess it takes my mind off the technical side of the game and I just line up and hit it and walk to the next shot. I also enjoy just looking around the course. I think my golfing buddies feel the same way because we don't talk much about golf while we are playing it.

• Upvote 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Actually I have found that I play better when the talk is about anything other than golf. I guess it takes my mind off the technical side of the game and I just line up and hit it and walk to the next shot. I also enjoy just looking around the course. I think my golfing buddies feel the same way because we don't talk much about golf while we are playing it.

most people don't like to chat about shot type, golf stuff, and the technical stuff

that's why I mutter to myself a lot....it's the stuff I REALLY like, but I don't want to inflict it on anyone that's not similarly inclined - and it doesn't have to be my shot, it can be any shot, or any hypothetical shot that seems challenging

mutter, mumble  "uphill, into the wind, visualize THIS shot shape, this ball rolls out, need to land short of pin, maybe an extra club this time, it's getting late, putts are probably a bit slower, low punch, or it the lie good enough to loft it up there......."

Out loud "HEY, how about that game last night?"

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

The group I golf with on Sunday always talk but there's always respect when hitting. There's always some good ribbing about a shot and quite a bit of smack talk to go around. We all work at the same place,and hang out a lot. wouldn't have it any other way. Another group I golf with there a little more serious. Its more competive, either way I can adapt.

most people don't like to chat about shot type, golf stuff, and the technical stuff

that's why I mutter to myself a lot....it's the stuff I REALLY like, but I don't want to inflict it on anyone that's not similarly inclined - and it doesn't have to be my shot, it can be any shot, or any hypothetical shot that seems challenging

mutter, mumble  "uphill, into the wind, visualize THIS shot shape, this ball rolls out, need to land short of pin, maybe an extra club this time, it's getting late, putts are probably a bit slower, low punch, or it the lie good enough to loft it up there......."

I wish I had someone who is as technical as I am to play with...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

no you don't

we're obnoxious

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

no you don't

we're obnoxious

LOL. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

It if wasn't for your Location, I'd thought you are one of my golf club member.   He mumbles through the round like "Wind blowing left to right, probably will move the ball by 20 yards, hit a knockdown shot, let it land and roll to the green, ..." and then (out loud), "hey, did you see the new cart girl?"      Do you have a brother in CA?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3255 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!