IGNORED

2015 British Open at St. Andrews Discussion Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How about those 37 putts on during the 2nd round.

You can't claim that once instance lost it for him. If he had his normal 29 putt average (rounds 1,3,4) in round 2 he would have shot -22 and won by 7 strokes.

You missed his smiley face in the comment........

I think when someone pulls one item, it's just for discussion to emphasize how close it was......  One can claim a single stroke anywhere.....(example - hitting that last approach shot a couple yards more left might have left a really easy birdie putt.....

but for one of the best putters this year - a 4 putt and (6 or 8) 3-putts - that's a good observation in general.

let alone so many very close opportunities for one putts

woulda, coulda - every player in the mix has the same story....

but Jordan?  At least this year, he looks to be the 'real deal' - I hope this player's career has some legs on it and lasts a few years.....will be fun to watch

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah but it was the four-putt that lost it for him. ;-)

Come on bro, we're talking overall golf strategy. There will always be instances where better putting would've helped but it is not the gold standard of better golfing like it used to be attributed. Besides....had Jordan knocked his approach to 3' he wouldn't have 4 putted now would've he?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Come on bro, we're talking overall golf strategy. There will always be instances where better putting would've helped but it is not the gold standard of better golfing like it used to be attributed. Besides....had Jordan knocked his approach to 3' he wouldn't have 4 putted now would've he?

Bill M

I enjoyed all of your commentary along the way for this tournament.  It allowed me to "watch" it during breaks while at work.  I think the only actual live footage I seen was when Tiger hit it into the creek on Thursday.  I just happened to be walking through the pro shop and caught that.  I wished I could have seen more of the tourney but I'll have to let you all be my rabbit ears for this major.

Congrats to Zach Johnson on the win.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I'm happy for Zack and happy that there were so many players in contention. However, whenever a major scores that low, I do feel a bit disappointed.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

[COLOR=3B94D9][URL=https://twitter.com/JordanSpieth][U]Jordan Spieth[/U] [/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=3B94D9][URL=https://twitter.com/JordanSpieth] [COLOR=697882]@JordanSpieth[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=1C2022]

Wow.. Almost. Nothing quite like [COLOR=2B7BB9][URL=https://twitter.com/TheOpen]@TheOpen[/URL][/COLOR] at St Andrews. We fought hard. Very proud of a role model and friend of mine [COLOR=2B7BB9][URL=https://twitter.com/ZachJohnsonPGA]@ZachJohnsonPGA[/URL][/COLOR]

--------

Classy young man. TW would never, ever give his opponents credit like this and I doubt that he'd stick around with his caddy to witness another golfer get the spoils as Jordan did. He was brought up right - thanks to his parents.

[/COLOR]

This post makes me SICK. Awful, awful post.

Riley

The way I see it, we got a bronze medal. Jordan obviously would have been the gold, Jason day or Setgio would have been the silver, but we got a guy who is a future HOFer and previous major champ. We could have got no medal at all and ended up with Leishman or Louis Oosthuizen who doesn't really show up on leaderboards unless it's a major and isn't exactly the most thrilling player out there. He has about as much excitement in him as Adam Scott. I thought Zach's interview yesterday said a lot about how passionate he is and how he's hard not to like.

Not sure why so many folks are bashing Oostie as a boring guy. The albatross at Augusta was anything but boring. And the guy's swing is a work of art.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Not sure why so many folks are bashing Oostie as a boring guy. The albatross at Augusta was anything but boring. And the guy's swing is a work of art.

One lucky shot does not mean he's actually exciting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Larry Mize just wanted to agree with this statement.

Although I'm not sure why you call it a lucky shot, it didn't bounce off a tree or a cart path, a sprinkler head or off someones putter on the green (Andrew Magee say's hello!)

Players play, tough players win!

Larry Mize just wanted to agree with this statement.

Although I'm not sure why you call it a lucky shot, it didn't bounce off a tree or a cart path, a sprinkler head or off someones putter on the green (Andrew Magee say's hello!)

I am thinking of another person, my bad. My mind went to Schwartzel at Augusta with his double eagle.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

That was Oosthuizen.

I'll just say they are the same person :p

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

He's like Retief Goosen. Unbelievable swing that we'd all love to have, but just doesn't show any emotion out there. Same can be said for a lot of guys: Adam Scott, Dustin Johnson, Branden Grace just to name a few. It's not to say they aren't great golfers....they just have a different way of showing their emotions than say a Spieth or McIlroy who aren't afeaid to get excited out there and maybe show off their anger, too, when they want. I am just a person who likes people who show their passion when they play.

He's like Retief Goosen. Unbelievable swing that we'd all love to have, but just doesn't show any emotion out there. Same can be said for a lot of guys: Adam Scott, Dustin Johnson, Branden Grace just to name a few. It's not to say they aren't great golfers....they just have a different way of showing their emotions than say a Spieth or McIlroy who aren't afeaid to get excited out there and maybe show off their anger, too, when they want. I am just a person who likes people who show their passion when they play.

I love both Oosthuizen and Goosen. Smooth as hell and stone cold. Very cool. But yeah, I get it.

Riley

I hate to say it, and it probably goes against the prevailing view, but I have to say that Spieth is incredibly boring. He is clearly a nice young man, but he is dull as dishwater. And his golf is not exciting either. Solid, yes, but pretty dull. If he wasn't American, I suspect that many on here would be more inclined to agree with me.

• Upvote 1

I hate to say it, and it probably goes against the prevailing view, but I have to say that Spieth is incredibly boring. He is clearly a nice young man, but he is dull as dishwater. And his golf is not exciting either. Solid, yes, but pretty dull. If he wasn't American, I suspect that many on here would be more inclined to agree with me.

s +1

Can't call that lucky. Afterwards Brad Faxon pointed out that every player in the field could make the shot that Bubba made from the trees but less than a handful could have made that double eagle shot.

Note: This thread is 3032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!