IGNORED

Driver vs Driver, Golf Channel and Wilson

JKolya
Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I thought for sure somebody would try to come up with movable shaft inserts (stiffen different parts of shaft by selective reinforcing along the length of the shaft) that changes the kick point as a fitting option. A consumer may not have great benefit one way or the other since shafts with different kick points are already available but would allow manufactures to build more stock shafts at least from that (kick point adjustability) POV.  

As far as I understand things, the kick point of a shaft varies only about two inches. It's not like some shafts kick just under the grip and others down by the hosel. I think it's a pretty narrow window.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Tried to watch, just couldn't.  Worse than that show about the homeless guy trying to play on the Senior Tour....

No, c'mon. Almost nothing is worse than that.

Yes, it's heavy on the promotional side of things, but I don't think it's a bad show.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, iacas said:

As far as I understand things, the kick point of a shaft varies only about two inches. It's not like some shafts kick just under the grip and others down by the hosel. I think it's a pretty narrow window.

Yes, it's heavy on the promotional side of things, but I don't think it's a bad show.

Alright, I admit, it's not THAT bad...!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh yeah, didn't think that much (grip to hosel) but didn't realize it is only 2 inches either...:-)

But then if 2 inches variance mean two separate shaft fittings options for whom it would matter then I see value. I know overall flex still has the lions share of the effect on the launch and spin and energy release but I know you can't change overall flex of a shaft extrinsically. 

Seems like flex point manipulation without constructing two different shafts would have some value. Maybe not a Golf Channel show level value I guess.. 

Vishal S.

Painful to watch this Wilson informercial. Tried to make it a "Shark Tank" format, but just seems scripted and silly. They should have told these entrants that the clubs had to be conforming - after all, why would Wilson be interested in them in the first place? All these ideas are basically a re-hash of things that have been tried before. What they need is a presentation by Jack Hamm, creator of The Hammer driver:-D. Zolex - Now that's innovation! Pow!!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Oh yeah, didn't think that much (grip to hosel) but didn't realize it is only 2 inches either...:-)

But then if 2 inches variance mean two separate shaft fittings options for whom it would matter then I see value. I know overall flex still has the lions share of the effect on the launch and spin and energy release but I know you can't change overall flex of a shaft extrinsically. 

Seems like flex point manipulation without constructing two different shafts would have some value. Maybe not a Golf Channel show level value I guess.. 

Wilson isn't a shaft manufacturer, though, Vishal. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It would be more compelling if it was open to anything golf related. There is only so much you can do to a driver within the rules of golf. Let somebody who has an idea for a better golf anything come on and try and market the product. I saw a tee made from saw dust, grass seed and fertilizer. If you left it on the tee box it would break down from rain and help regrow the area. IIRC it was too fragile and too expensive, but it shows people can take a simple device like a tee and make a cool improvement. 

• Administrator
51 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

It would be more compelling if it was open to anything golf related. There is only so much you can do to a driver within the rules of golf. Let somebody who has an idea for a better golf anything come on and try and market the product. I saw a tee made from saw dust, grass seed and fertilizer. If you left it on the tee box it would break down from rain and help regrow the area. IIRC it was too fragile and too expensive, but it shows people can take a simple device like a tee and make a cool improvement. 

Sure, and they had a thing for that years ago (Fore Inventors Only), but Wilson isn't footing the bill for people to come up with golf cart fans or the ClubGlider or biodegradable tees.

Not that bad? It's terrible...but who doesn't watch a train wreck...

I kinda liked the retro design in chrome...but then I saw the different colors and they looked like a mixed box of Christmas tree ornaments.

• Upvote 1

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Tried to watch, just couldn't.  Worse than that show about the homeless guy trying to play on the Senior Tour....

yeah, that show was a waste of time that I'll never get back

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Agreed but so far "not bad" or "mildly interesting" is about all I would have to say about it.  It might be better if there weren't so many commercials in the show which make the show crawl by.  Its the same thing that made me stop watching Big Break before it was cancelled--too many commercial breaks and then there is always a recap of what was going on that limited the content down to almost nothing.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

2 hours ago, InTheRough said:

Agreed but so far "not bad" or "mildly interesting" is about all I would have to say about it.  It might be better if there weren't so many commercials in the show which make the show crawl by.  Its the same thing that made me stop watching Big Break before it was cancelled--too many commercial breaks and then there is always a recap of what was going on that limited the content down to almost nothing.

I agree with you about your characterization of the show, but not about the commercials... Have you ever heard of a device called a DVR, so you can fast-forward through the commercials. I never watch TV live anymore, even live sports events! I start an hour later (or sometimes more), and catch up to the live broadcast at the end of the event.

That said, that show is watchable and will be over pretty soon (there are only 5 contestants left) and I will watch every episode to learn more about the whole development process.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

I agree with you about your characterization of the show, but not about the commercials... Have you ever heard of a device called a DVR, so you can fast-forward through the commercials. I never watch TV live anymore, even live sports events! I start an hour later (or sometimes more), and catch up to the live broadcast at the end of the event.

That said, that show is watchable and will be over pretty soon (there are only 5 contestants left) and I will watch every episode to learn more about the whole development process.

QFT.

On 7/16/2015 at 3:59 PM, Jon Hoover said:

You know Wilson is getting desperate when they will take driver designs from anyone, just more equipment you could't pay me to use.

I have an expensive TM driver that I get on with quite well. I didn't have a back up, so I went on ebay and bought an unused Dunlop driver for £10. I took it out for a round and was surprised that the performance of the club was almost identical to the TM. I am convinced that people get sucked in by names, and that the driver is the least most important club in the bag. I would suggest to any new golfer that they should spend the majority of their money on fairway clubs, and experiment with putters until they find one that is comfortable. That may well mean that the putter in question costs very little

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I had a dull evening last week and watched about half on one of these shows before Monday Night Football kicked off. Suffice to say that it isn't good, but there is an awful lot of garbage on the tele these days. I suppose it was time that could have been better used otherwise, but that goes for most of the non-sports schlock that I end up watching.

I don't have GC anymore and was wondering about the show... looks like I am not missing much.

I did like watching Big Break.  Someone said they had Melanie on the show.. Mel Collins?

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• Administrator

I watched the episode last night, and my only wish is that they showed a bit more of the clubs instead of just repeating the same things all the time - the CFD, the MOI, the CG… etc.

Why not show all five designs with all of their numbers side by side? One guy's CFD number was like 1.86 IIRC, and some of the other teams only got to 3.x. How important is that number? How much difference does 4591 g*cm^2 versus 3937 make?

• Upvote 1

It's terrible, and boring, do golfers really care that much about equipment? nope, they buy a driver that has the basic specs they like, and looks good to them, and they move on, all this Shark Tank stuff is silly.

I'm an avid GC watcher but turn the page on this show, makes me wish they would bring back Big Break for the off season, at least that show had some hot chicks to look at.

Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!