IGNORED

Taking good balls from range buckets

Cupcakus
Note: This thread is 3157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You pay for the time to hit their balls, not yours. In my mind clearer more than ever you are doing the range owners a favor by not hitting non range balls into their range, and an even bigger favor taking out the weeds from their crop. To hit your own balls without permission you are stealing plan and simple.

You're not stealing, you're trespassing, if you want to get particularly pedantic about it. But it's de minimis, so I don't see the issue as compared with actual theft.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The more balls of yours that you hit into the range without their permission , the less balls you rent of theirs. Cheating the range. No wonder people don't ask first. Hey range owner do you mind if I use my balls so I don't have to rent more of yours? This is reality. People just don't want to admit they are cheaters and thieves. Besides the range , they are cheating themselves even more.
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

You stated several times that the time it takes to hit a few extra balls as stealing, and I just asked you if taking more time to hit balls is also stealing. Logical question given your repeated statement, no?

You pay for the time to hit their balls, not yours. In my mind clearer more than ever you are doing the range owners a favor by not hitting non range balls into their range, and an even bigger favor taking out the weeds from their crop. To hit your own balls without permission you are stealing plan and simple.

This just seems like mincing words to win an argument that really has no possible right answer. The right answer is simple. Just don't take them.

Just like learning a new Golf rule, once you learn it, play by it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Why not take it? It's the right thing to do. Looks like I'm wasting my breath here. Continue to Steal from the range if you want. Speaks volumes. Just know We aren't ever playing for money that is for sure.
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

What about..... You hit a non-range ball, found in the bucket you're "renting", over the fence and onto the fairway of the adjoining hole. Is the guy who picks up that ball stealing from the course?

Colin P.

I see, sanity is replaced by insanity...

Ya' know, I've never heard a range or club say, "Hey, you've got 20 minutes to hit those ball unless of course they were closing in 20 minutes. You are paying for the RIGHT to hit the balls at the range that day until closing or until you leave the course. You can purchase the bucket and not hit the balls, leave them there, and the range thanks you.

Finis .

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

What about..... You hit a non-range ball, found in the bucket you're "renting", over the fence and onto the fairway of the adjoining hole. Is the guy who picks up that ball stealing from the course?

A range ball yes. A non range ball. Hell no. They never owned it. That ball came from some joker who just doesn't get it.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

• Administrator
Not really ... There's a level below which it becomes a non issue and I think this is close. Not that it's not "technically" stealing perhaps, but rather that it's so minor.

Again, nobody's said it's like stealing a bicycle. It's like stealing a candy bar. And… I know a kid that were arrested for doing just that.

And their level of ownership is still very suspect to me.

Lawyers in this thread have posted about that.

Why not take it? It's the right thing to do. Looks like I'm wasting my breath here. Continue to Steal from the range if you want. Speaks volumes. Just know We aren't ever playing for money that is for sure.

It's not stealing. You are wasting your breath but not for the reasons you think (and, really, breathing is how you type on a forum?).

A range ball yes. A non range ball. Hell no. They never owned it. That ball came from some joker who just doesn't get it.

By hitting it onto the range you're giving it to them. This approach or tactic you're taking is absurd, to use the word used earlier.

You're not stealing by hitting your balls onto the range instead of theirs. Unless you're hitting balls that will intentionally clog machines (like those old Magnas or something) that ranges use, roughly 0 range owners in the world would ask you to stop hitting your balls onto their range if you occasionally hit a few slightly scuffed name-brand golf balls out onto the range.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsgolfer

So I will admit I was wrong, I asked my lawyer friend if taking the balls from the range would be theft. He used to work as a public defender in Maryland, and he said technically yes it would be theft, because the balls would be owned by the range. However, if there weren't markings on the ball to signify they were range balls, as soon as they were hit, they would be finders keepers.

Step 1:  Tee up ball.

Step 2:  Tap it 2 inches.

Step 3:  Pick up ball.

Voila, guilt-free ball.

O:)

I don't get it. This shouldn't be a question golf is about integrity, self policing and playing it straight. There is no grey area period.

Exactly.

4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW

Step 1:  Tee up ball. Step 2:  Tap it 2 inches. Step 3:  Pick up ball. Voila, guilt-free ball. O:)

That... And someone quoted the definition of "steal"... Twice. Well... And thirdly, common sense

Step 1:  Tee up ball.

Step 2:  Tap it 2 inches.

Step 3:  Pick up ball.

Voila, guilt-free ball.

I thought the same thing when I read it...  Was going to post something very similar but had to leave to go to the RANGE! LOL.

To paraphrase Cmdr. Joanne Galloway ... I "strenuously" disagree with this.

Because a Pro V1 is worth up to $5 and a candy bar is only $1?

Joe Paradiso

[QUOTE name="Golfingdad" url="/t/84262/taking-good-balls-from-range-buckets/240_30#post_1196099"] To paraphrase Cmdr. Joanne Galloway ... I "strenuously" disagree with this.[/QUOTE] Because a Pro V1 is worth up to $5 and a candy bar is only $1?

Ah, but a slightly used one is $1. Slightly used in the sense that it was more than likely hit once. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!