IGNORED

Bringing Drinks/Coolers on to the Course

colin007
Note: This thread is 1318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

28 members have voted

1. 1. Bringing outside alcohol on the course -

• Sure, i have no problem bringing a few brewskies from home to the course, i dont want to pay $5 for the beer and still have to tip the girl
    • Nope, i wouldnt do it because its taking revenue from the course. dont be a cheapskate.

I don't think those drink signs apply to water.  In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal to bar people from bringing water because of the potential health hazard it creates. As far as buying food or drinks from courses, I rarely do.  Every time I've bought food and drinks while playing it has made me sluggish and play like crap. I will admit to bringing outside goodies into movie theaters though and I'm not the least bit sorry about refusing to pay $4 for a bag of M&Ms; or $7.50 for 30 cents of popcorn.

I can't think of a way where it could be illegal for them to say you can't bring water.. They are not preventing you from drinking water, just saying that you have to buy it from them..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've never been to a course that said anything about bringing in non-alcoholic drinks and food. They can enforce or not enforce that how ever they want to. What they do with alcohol is mandated by the state.

I once ordered a pizza and had it delivered to the clubhouse. The penalty, they ate some of it before I got to the turn.

Dave :-)

I am going to support "no" vote for yet another reason.   Sometimes, I see guys sneaking in huge amount of drinks (2 cases of beer, a tall bottle of vodka, etc.).  Almost all of these guys get wasted before the round is over and their behavior often goes south..   If they were forced to buy the drinks at the course, I think the mere cost will make them drink less.

That is crazy, why even bother going out to golf at that point.

Tax law and yes relevant to this thread because alcohol is a controlled substance with Fed and State laws for how it's taxed and consumed. Just because it's a golf course doesn't change anything. Just because you can buy alcohol from a store doesn't mean you are free to consume it where ever you chose. I don't see why this should be confusing. Applying and being granted a license for anything comes the responsibility to adhere to the regulations set forth by the issuing entity. When you are granted a driver's license or a hunting license or any license you have agreed to abide by whatever the terms are. Golf courses don't get to make their own rules about how and who can or can't consume alcohol on their property.

You seem to think the motivation is profit via restricting bringing in outside alcohol but they don't have a choice. Just like a bar doesn't have a choice just like you can't have an open container in your car. Laws don't always make sense to everybody but they are put in place for various reasons. Alcohol isn't like soda the government dictates how we can use it not the golf courses.

Tax law, taking in revenue for projects and services that support the public good and welfare, is neither moral or ethical?

I don't "seem to think" profit is purely the motivation but it does have a lot to do with it.  Just because I see something a different way than you does not make it incorrect, and would speak to your statement about laws not always making sense.  I think it is quite easy to make the correlation personally.  To think it doesn't would be to ignore that the laws are made by people who are elected, with campaign funds by companies and individuals with agendas, who would want to decide or persuade decisions on who can and cant profit from certain businesses in areas.

Besides I never said it was all about profit.  I think this is perhaps the third or fourth time I have stated that and also mentioned part of liquor licensing is about regulation and public safety.  Then I also mentioned the irony of the golf course themselves really not being too firm on that on their part as they are seemingly more than willing to sell you almost as many drinks as you want in one transaction at one time.  Which is the main point I was trying to make, they seem to break the liquor license laws more every day than the golfer who brings their own beers on the course, right or wrong.  Isn't there a huge irony in that?  The agencies could just as easily pull their liquor license for continuing to serve clearly drunk people on their course.

LOL.  Okay, I have said my piece, really not that big of a deal.  My initial comments were more in line with bringing an actual cooler and it being filled with water and other drinks because they can't come by enough for me and the coolers they have don't always (about 50% of the time) have water in it for me.  Sunday I drank 6 bottles of water and two bottles of gatorade that I brought.  I bought two hot dogs, bought a soda and a beer at the turn and bought a scotch and soda after the round.  I drink lots and lots of fluids.

My girlfriend lives along the course. Sometimes as I pass her house she'll bring me a beer to refresh me along the way. That is the only time I'll ever "sneak" anything on. I don't feel right about it though.

- Mark

I can't think of a way where it could be illegal for them to say you can't bring water.. They are not preventing you from drinking water, just saying that you have to buy it from them..

I briefly tried looking up laws that apply to businesses and water consumption but didn't find much.  Apparently OSHA requires business to install water fountains for employees but I didn't see anything regarding public use.

Anyway, banning your customers from bringing a basic necessity like water and then turning around and charging them for it seems like a real bad look to me.

I briefly tried looking up laws that apply to businesses and water consumption but didn't find much.  Apparently OSHA requires business to install water fountains for employees but I didn't see anything regarding public use.

Anyway, banning your customers from bringing a basic necessity like water and then turning around and charging them for it seems like a real bad look to me.

I'm pretty sure they don't allow you to bring in your own water at movie theaters or sporting stadiums.

Joe Paradiso

I'm pretty sure they don't allow you to bring in your own water at movie theaters or sporting stadiums.

No but that's pretty much the issue here, I guess. I sneak snacks into the movies every time I go.

Colin P.

Well. Yes and no. Generally, I bring an empty Gatorade bottle to fill with water. One of our local courses has no coolers or water fountains. The only way to do it is wedge the thing into the sink to get about 2/3 of the bottle. Some have proper coolers on the course. Others don't. The home course has water fountains on the course, but the water is both warm and has a little extra protein. It'll do in a pinch, but not to be savored.

We have coolers in sheds ion holes 2 4 6 8 12 14 16 and they provide cups. Former home course put two plastic bottles in every cart. Riding not mandatory but few walked.

No but that's pretty much the issue here, I guess. I sneak snacks into the movies every time I go.

I'm not sure if they adopted the policy in Albany but it's getting pretty common on Long Island to have your bags searched when entering the movie theater.  They claim it's to check for weapons but they will not allow you to bring food or drinks not purchased from the theater inside.

Joe Paradiso

I'm not sure if they adopted the policy in Albany but it's getting pretty common on Long Island to have your bags searched when entering the movie theater.  They claim it's to check for weapons but they will not allow you to bring food or drinks not purchased from the theater inside.

They reserve the right to do that here as well. I put stuff in my pockets, the wife puts stuff in the bottom of her purse. Usually go to the movies in the winter so I'm wearing a big jacket with lots of space.

Colin P.

This isn't really a question of ethics. There are specific laws that state you may not bring outside liquor onto a property that possesses a liquor license. It's not something where any sort of ownership could be contested, just a statement of fact really.

Think about it this way: Would you be okay bringing your own booze to a bar? If no, why not? What would make this circumstance different to you than the circumstance with a golf course?

As for coolers, that's just because the course doesn't want you to bring in your own beverages inside the coolers and some charge a rental fee for their own. There's not a lot the course can do about it though if you bring your own empty cooler besides reprimand you, unless they're feeling especially strict and want to eject you from the course. A lot of bags also have cooler pockets built into them now.

As for this, I've never had an issue with bringing my insulated water bottle with me to sporting events/movie theaters. It could be because it's not a disposable water bottle, i.e. not something they sell at the venue, but I have never once had them tell me to leave it behind. For the BMW Championship in Denver last year they made everyone with a disposable water bottle throw it away before they could get on the bus to head to the venue if they parked at Mile High Stadium. I walked into the bus and onto the course carrying my insulated bottle with no problems or questions asked, so there's certainly something different in the minds of the event organizers there.

Wouldn't surprised if for theaters to do better than break even they have to sell you more than a ticket.

Actually Cineplex is pulling in record profits. Edit* my mistake, it's ticket prices that are at record highs. http://variety.com/2015/film/news/movie-ticket-prices-record-high-2015-summer-blockbusters-1201545600/

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

As a business owner I'd rather not do something that potentially doesn't make a business enough to break even. Everything the course does is an expense. If all you do there is hack up their grass while you knock balls around for your fees it may not be enough to keep the doors open. Same for movie theaters. It doesn't pay to provide a service in the entitlement age, everybody wants something for nothing. And if you don't make the customer feel like royalty when they are there they go online to leave a 4000 word diatribe in an attempt to destroy your reputation as justification for not meeting their asinine expectations.

• Upvote 1

This isn't really a question of ethics. There are specific laws that state you may not bring outside liquor onto a property that possesses a liquor license. It's not something where any sort of ownership could be contested, just a statement of fact really.

Think about it this way: Would you be okay bringing your own booze to a bar? If no, why not? What would make this circumstance different to you than the circumstance with a golf course?

I'm not sure how it works legally, but I have been to restaurants in NY and NJ that allow you to bring your own wine or beer and charge you a corkage fee.  The majority of them that I've been to do not have a liquor license but some do.

Joe Paradiso

In Michigan it is all about the liquor licenses. If a course has a liquor license to sell in their pro shop for consumption on the course then it is illegal to bring your own alcohol on the course. Course are fairly strict with enforcement, so either the penalty for violation is steep, or they want to sell more boozed and make $, nothing wrong with either logic.

There are a few courses that do not have a liquor license and they do allow you to bring alcohol out. Some of these have a bar or restaurant nearby or attached to the clubhouse, but you can't buy and take alcohol on the course with you.

I want golf to thrive and my local courses to do well. It benefits every golfer to have a financially stable course. This leads to better playing conditions, less likelihood they will close down, etc. I know a few golf course owners and most of them are not getting rich from owning a course, most are barely breaking even most of the time, a few of them barely make enough to cover expenses and property taxes.

I gladly spend my money at the course. I do bring water, which they have no problem with at all. Everything else I purchase on site and I am glad to support them.

• Upvote 1

- Mark

Note: This thread is 1318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!