IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Rain held off just long enough to get our league play in this morning after being CX last week. Ended up shooting 43 today with 2 penalty strokes. Both of them came on the par 5's after trying to step on the drive a bit. Naturally, I pulled both shots left. One into the drink, one OB. Note to self, stop trying to crush the ball on par 5's when it isn't going to matter on this course. I'm a slow learner, but hopefully won't continue that trend.

My best drive of the day was followed by the worst shank I've hit in nearly a year. Nearly a hosel rocket that would have likely killed someone on the adjacent tee box had anyone been there. I refocused and stuck a lob wedge within 4 feet and drained the putt to save par. That was reassuring that my mental game as well as my physical game is progressing. I used to let terrible shots like that compound throughout the rest of the round.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve got a lot of catching up to do in this thread: five rounds played for me since the beginning of the month.

7/2: I ended up getting a 2:50 tee time at Croasdaile after getting off work after an opening shift. I parred the first hole, then made five straight 6s, which included two par 3s. I ended with a 49 on the front and a 44 on the back with a quad on the par-3 14th. Still, a 93 at that course isn’t too bad. Putting wasn’t that great, but everything else was alright.

7/3: From a super tough course to a super easy course: Occoneechee. Played the white tees, but that didn’t help scoring at all: I shot 44-47. Going into the last three holes, I was three strokes behind my dad. But then I made a weak double and my swing pretty much caved. I finished bogey (on what was essentially a 400-yard par 5)-triple.

Not a bad round thru 15 (I was +14 at that point), but playing the last three at +6 was just bad. 17 should’ve been a par at worst and 18 should’ve been a bogey at worst.

7/6: I played 36 holes at two awesome golf courses. Morning round was at The Preserve at Jordan Lake. Playing the blue/white hybrid (6468 yds, 71.4/135), I shot 42-47 for 89. I’d say a pretty good round! Definitely could’ve put up a lower number due to putting, but I was pretty happy. 

Then I made an afternoon tee time (4:10 to be exact) at Lonnie Poole, one of my bucket list golf courses. What made it even better was that I played under a twilight rate of $52. Anyway, on to the round!

I played the red tees, which were 6502 yards per the card (rating 70.8/132), as did the other three guys I was paired with. I shot 43 on the front and started quad-double on the back, but then I played the last seven holes at +4, which included two birdies, to finish with a very respectable 89. While again, it could’ve been better (I had a bit of bunker trouble on the tenth hole), I was thrilled to have been able to play there, with a solid round to boot!

This was actually one of my better ballstriking days, but putting was mediocre (37 putts in the morning round and 36 in the afternoon). Nine three putts total. Guess I need to work on putting a bit!

7/7: Last minute decision to play yesterday, and after a 36-hole grind the day before I didn’t expect much. 

We went off the back, and I actually shot 45 on the tougher back nine, so a mid-80s round was a definite possibility. But on the front nine (our back), my swing started to fail me. By the time we got to the ninth tee, I had recorded a double and three triples. I managed one last birdie on the short par 5 after a great pitch to keep my second nine under 50. My total: 45-49 for 94. Was it wise to play yesterday? Probably not. Do I regret it? A little bit. But my handicap didn’t take a hit, so at least there’s that.

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

46-43-89 with four three putts, plus a few more up and downs that should have been converted. I struck the ball generally pretty well (with the exception of an awful, well deserved triple bogie) but the putting was atrocious. 

Bill M

Played 9 this morning and shot 37 (+1), 8 GIR/nGIR, 14 putts, and no penalty strokes.

Previous three rounds were awful; 93, 51 (9 hole), and 49 (9 hole). Really struggling to make solid contact and when I did hit the ball solidly, I could tell I was flipping due to moonshot trajectory. Spent time at the range the last two days working on recentering/flow and clubface control, and it payed off today.

Aside from the first two shots of the day which I thinned badly, and a few partial wedges that went way further than I expected due to playing at high elevation, I don’t think I hit a “bad” shot all round. Birdied both par 5 holes after missing eagle putts, and had a couple other birdie chances that didn’t go in but left tap in pars. No double bogeys on the card either. 

Edited by Darkfrog
Spelling

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

42-40-82

Good to see 80 back in my sights after spending the last couple of months in the vicinity of 90.

Bill M

My bro and I played 18 today after I got off work. I was +4 through 4 which included a chip in for birdie, but then I went crazy. I parred the next seven holes in a row, making the turn in 40 in the process. My brother shot 51 on the front and I didn’t keep his score on the back.

Then I bogeyed the next two and went double-bogey on 14 and 15. Nine over. Then a four-putt quad on 16 sent me to +13. I managed to get up and down for par on 17 and scratched one final birdie out of the signature par-3 18th for an 84. My second best round out there, and my lowest in a while. It also brings my handicap down to 13.4, a new low!

• Upvote 1

WITB:

Last several rounds. Been a bit of a struggle lately with the driver.

IMG_3058.PNGIMG_3059.PNGIMG_3060.PNG

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I shot a 10 at Watchung Valley. 

Up and down from a bunker for par on 1. 

Curiously weak shots on 2, leading to a double bogey 6. 

Searing pain on two swings on 3, withdraw. 

For the moment I am blaming myself for misuse of a Theragun, although it could be a new disc issue. Out of action for a month I think.  

Aging SUCKS. 

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I played Mill Creek Friday and today. Shot 86 there Friday and 84 today. Was on track to shoot my new best round as I was +8 after 16. Naturally, I choked on the par 3 17th and par 4 18th going double, double.  

Take aways from the round today - Hit driver really well. Had 2 great 4 hybrid shots today. One was into a par 5 in two following a drive of 260 yards. On the green in 2 with a long eagle putt. My lag putt sucked and didn't break at all, leaving a putt of about 5 feet for birdie. Now the putt turned at the hole and just missed by half a ball. Yep, 3 putt par. Quite frustrating. The positive was, I was confident enough to go for the shot in 2 with water down the entire left side and made the green. Great confidence booster going forward.

HI continuing to drop slowly. Projected 14.8 tomorrow.

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

I played a quick nine holes early afternoon today and shot a nice little 41. Only two really rough holes, a double on 5 after a poor chip and a bogey on 6 after I missed a green from inside 100 yards. The highlight, though, was on the ninth hole.

I was just off the short par 5 in two, and I had a fairly straightforward chip up the hill. Nearly dropped, and I ended with a birdie to end the nine.

I’ve got a tee time set for tomorrow, and I’ve been playing well my last 27 holes, so I’m excited to see what I can do!

WITB:

Played the front 9 with the 5yr old grandson this morning.  Shot a solid 43, which for me is doing great.  Just one dbl bogie with three pars.  Shot of the day was on 7, a par four that I was laying three with my third about 1yd off the green in the rough (grass about 1-1/2" - 2").  I would normally pitch or chip it, but was feeling the putter today.  Knew I had to hit it hard enough to get out the rough but not too hard.  The ball pops out as pretty as you want and gently rolls toward the pin.  I was thinking maybe a short putt for bogie.  But not today, as the ball slowly meanders down to the hole and gently rolls in for par!  I was stoked!  Even better was spending a couple of hours with the grandson as he learns the game.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

9 hole league play. Did not have my best stuff. Opened with a drive waaaay right at 10 and my low punch effort to get back in play hit a tree and then my 3rd hit another tree. It took 5 to get on. Ended up making a 7. At least partner made a 4 and was catching a stroke so we started at -1. I promptly busted my drive at 11 right down the middle and had a chance to reach in 2...  nearly hooked my hybrid into the parking lot tho. At least it stated in play and I was still able to make par. I got a stroke at 11 so net bird and we are now -2. 12 I missed right with my drive again and my 7 iron caught a nice firm, wet trap. Got it out and left it in the rough short. I managed to chip to 6 inches and make 5. I mention this because this chip and one putt becomes a common theme. 13 hit a 3/4 8 iron into a heavy wind. 2 putt par nearly made the 2. 14 I would normally hit a hybrid off the tee which leaves me a 50-70 yard wedge up the hill which is a comfortable yardage for my 56 degree but after nearly hitting said hybrid into the lot and having hooked it repeatedly on the range I decided to go 5 iron off the tee but I left myself an in between yardage and I tried to lay off the 52 some as opposed to a big swing with the 56. I hit a really bad shot. Any time you miss from 85-90 yards you are not happy. I did hit a fantastic chip that nearly went in. 6” tap in par. 15 I was fighting a heavy wind into our faces and I missed the green pin high left. Chip it to 2 feet and another up and down par. 16 big drive and 38 yards to the front pin/ tried to bounce one on and left it just short in the fringe. Easy 2 putts from there although technically another up and down. 17 I hit another big drive. Gap wedge from 104 and an easy 2 putt par. Thought I made the birdie putt. Not sure how it stayed out. 18 poor drive. Left my weight back and didn’t get to my front side. No prayer of reaching in 2. Got on from 120 but 3 putt to end day sour. Getting out of there +5 when I took a triple on the first hole wasn’t all that bad I guess. We ended up 2 under and actually had low net for the night. We are still in first and I picked up one more skin which keeps me in the lead for the league skins on season. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Beat my personal best by 1 for an 82 on my home course(par 71). 41 stableford points. Having said that I thought I might finally break 80 because I was only 5 over after 12 holes. I was 7 over for the last 6 holes 😕. I got a dose of the shanks today too, I had 4 shanks for some reason, I've hardly had 4 shanks in my life before today but I still managed to shoot a pb and get a little closer to breaking 80. 

Edited by Nail
Spelling

Decided to blow off the work day and play golf. After league last night I realized that 9 holes a week hasn’t been enough. Played well today. Opened up with 4 straight 2 putt pars. None of the birdies were great looks so lagging to a tap in was plenty. 5 I got up and down. Bogey at 6. Missed a green from 100. Rough way to make your first bogey! 7-8 2 putt pars and 9 I hit my worst drive of the day. Led to a bogey. 2 over front side. 

10-12 I hit quality shots and had inside of 6 feet for birdie on all 3 and managed to miss all 3. 13 left my 9 iron off tee way too short. Mis judged wind. Made a bogey. 14 2 putt par. 15 another bogey on a par 3. 16 hit my biggest drive I’ve ever hit on the hole. Was on the fringe... but only managed a par 4. 17 bogey. Miss green from 120. 2 putt par at 18. +5 75. Played well but i didn’t make anything! I hit 12 GIR and no birdies to show for it! 34 putts which is what you expect when you hit greens and don’t make anything. Still my last 18 in league play between 2 weeks was 35/41 and then shot 75 today so I’m showing signs of life. 

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

After back to back 113's, shot a 100 today.  Front was filled with bogeys and double bogeys, back started great with two pars and a birdie.  Then i shot 17 over on the closing 6 holes, including a 9 on a par 4 which started with me pulling my tee shot OB with my 3W and taking an unplayable on my approach shot which was a wedge i also pulled.  Here's the scorecard.

PXL_20210714_203842124.MP.jpg

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

A buddy and I played 36 holes together the other day, and it wasn’t good for either of us. I shot 98-96, and he shot 81-83 (he’s a 4 hcp). We played two separate matches. In the first round I lost 4&2, but I won on the 18th green in the second round.

The only thing really worth noting is that I got up and down from a bunker on 18 in the second round. Oh, and I had fifteen single putts on the day. By the 12th hole in the second round, we were both drained mainly because we weren’t playing well at all, and honestly, all we cared about was finishing the round. I somehow played the last four at +2 though.

Not a good day, especially after 27 holes of spectacular golf the two days prior, but I’ve put it behind me at this point.

WITB:

Set personal bests in my last two rounds both of which I finished at +3. Ball striking has been great I figured out a few things in my swing and the consistency not only in contact but accuracy is relieving. That said, my normally solid short game has been shaky I've had some skanky chips and while putting has been decent from short range I haven't made much over 8 feet in a while. In the 75 round it was really a couple mental mistakes like trying the wrong shot and embarrassingly pinging a mound behind the flag on a par 3 and airmailing the green. In the 74 round it was really 2 bad drives that accounted for the majority of lost strokes. It's great, but frustrating to be so close to one of my goals which was to shoot under par this year. I'm hoping it comes soon. 

backtoback.PNG

2 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

Set personal bests in my last two rounds both of which I finished at +3. Ball striking has been great I figured out a few things in my swing and the consistency not only in contact but accuracy is relieving. That said, my normally solid short game has been shaky I've had some skanky chips and while putting has been decent from short range I haven't made much over 8 feet in a while. In the 75 round it was really a couple mental mistakes like trying the wrong shot and embarrassingly pinging a mound behind the flag on a par 3 and airmailing the green. In the 74 round it was really 2 bad drives that accounted for the majority of lost strokes. It's great, but frustrating to be so close to one of my goals which was to shoot under par this year. I'm hoping it comes soon. 

backtoback.PNG

Isn't the totem at Washakie great?   I've played there once back in 2016.

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny