IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

First round of the season. Shot 51-43-94 (7 shots over my par on the course)

My game was all over the place on the front 9, with 3 doubles and 2 tripples with 3 three-putts and 3 lost balls on the first 8 holes. 
Hit my irons pretty well today, while there was a lot of «rust» on the driver, putter and 60˚. 100% of my misses were left today, I’ll take that as a positive.

The course was a bit wet and muddy, but not too bad for this time of the year. 

Shot of the day - A 120 yard bunkershot to 15 feet (3-putt bogey from there)

Edited by Troy Ocker

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

This was technically Saturday but I needed a couple days to decompress after it lol It was one of the more frustrating days I've had simply due to conditions. Felt like the wind was blowing about 176 mph and any hole into the wind absolutely kicked my a$$. I started on the back 9 with 10, 11, 13, 14, and 16 all playing into the wind and you can see how well I fared there. I was tempted to call it quits after 9 it was that bad. The front only 3, 7, and 8 were directly into the wind but it had died down a tad by the time I hit 7 and 8.

I realize with my offseason goal of trying to get more height and spin with my irons and wedges that days like today I should expect a struggle. I need to learn how to flight my clubs down. I was clubbing up all day but never felt confident and it led to some of the worst swings I've had this year so far. 

That being said I had good stretches when the wind was cooperating i had 10 pars 9 GIR but could not get a putt to go in. Lagged it fairly well didn't have a 3 putt (did give myself 3-4 3'ers that I could have potentially missed) but didn't make anything over 6 feet all day yet again. Greens were covered in debris and I don't think I had a birdie putt under 8 feet but it's still a bummer I couldn't get at least one to fall and only made 1 par saving putt. 

Important stat of the day. GIR in 2020 32.6%, GIR in 2021 through 5 rounds 56.7%

image.thumb.png.9539f83d28c831bdf671807ca0775136.png

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47+37=84

2 birdies (146yd par 3, 382 yd par4)

5651 yds

65.6 rating

108 slope

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

5 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

Important stat of the day. GIR in 2020 32.6%, GIR in 2021 through 5 rounds 56.7%

Impressive, keep it up!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

My brother and I played nine holes before practice yesterday. I played pretty well except for one hole: seven bogeys, a par on the sixth hole, and a triple on the fourth hole after I pulled my second shot OB. That means a 46. Not really that bad, especially with a triple.

I didn’t keep my brother’s score, but he did par a hole where I bogeyed: we had identical chip shots on the seventh hole, he hit it to about ten feet and I was probably half that away. He made it, I missed.

I hit it pretty well too, and I’m really looking forward to our match this afternoon!

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Since the 29th, I've shot 80, 88, 82, 81, 78, and 75, so it looks like I'm going in the right direction. I've posted 73 scores for 2021, with the worst being 96, and the best a 74.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

After playing a horrible round yesterday, I needed to get it out of my system.
Luckily I managed to squeeze in 9 holes today and finally got a positive experience:

3250 yards, par 36

40 shots
6 pars, 2 bogeys and a double. 
4/7 fairways, 2/9 greens and 15 putts

2 of the misses fairways was by less than 3 feet and was sitting up nicely in the semi. Had to chip the last one back in the fairway, but made a great approach shot from 100 yards to a foot. 6 of the missed greens was to fringe or close to the green. The last missed green was to greenside bunker, where I made a bad shot barely getting it on the green and 3-putted from 35 feet (downhill) for the double. 
6 pars and 7 putts on the last 6 holes, so I’m very happy with my game around the greens today. 

The only negative was the 8 putts on the first 3 holes.

Looking forward to the next one 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Been playing a lot but not happy with the results. Monday played the front 2x. First time through was awful. Drive, miss green chip and 2 putt for pretty much every hole. Original plan was my buddy to join me at the turn. Played the front so bad we just started over. 2nd time through by the end I couldn’t get off the tee anymore. All confidence in my driver had left me. Went out yesterday afternoon and hit the ball a little better at least. Horribly inconsistent tho. On 11 I smash a drive and put a hybrid to 15 feet for eagle. Then on 12 I hit behind my ball off the tee and pull a 6 iron into the neighbor’s house along the left side. Then off the tee at 13 I hit the other neighbors house.... but bounce right back at 14 with a solid birdie. It’s time to step away for a week or so and try to clear my head. Maybe a break will help. Obviously playing frequently isn’t.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

Hot damn I can't make a putt right now. It's frustrating because I'm hitting more greens than ever I hit 7/9 but I'm not hitting it particularly close. On 1 I was only 30 yards out and pitched it to a foot but the rest of the greens I hit I had between 12-30+ feet so while I'm frustrated I couldn't get one to fall I need to realize the pros only make the 12 footers 30% of the time and under 10% on the long ones so any one of those made is a gift. Now the two 5 footers I missed for par on 2 & 4 were pretty bad they were long lag putts but I should have put them much closer. Need to start a legit practice routine.

image.thumb.png.ff5ee893379d3d14741e3c7ff812e967.png

Wednesday I had a hot run after a poor start.

Took  and 8 on the first hole, followed by two 6's.

Then I  decided if I'm going to keep missing the fairway with my 3 wood, I may as well miss it with my driver and be closer to the hole. (Ping G400 was in the bag).

Then went 3-4-4-4-3-3. Best 5 over 41 I ever shot.

After the first two drives were in the short grass, I started going after it a bit, and my 61 yr old self was hitting it 245- 265 on the short grass depending on the wind, with very little roll out on the wet course., My old trusty 10 yard fade that was my bread and butter 20-30 years ago when I could really play was back.  Went par, par on the 10th and 11th, then got a phone call and had to go.

46-47-93

Just awful. A few drives out of position and zero up-and-downs, which is my bread and butter. The short game range has yet to open and I need the repetition. 

Bill M

Back on the "home" course today.  Shot 47/46 for a 93.  For me that is shouting territory as there were some great shots today.  14 holes were bogey or better that included a birdie and a couple of pars and of course one blow-up hole with a 9 on the par 5 6th.  However I had a "near eagle 2" birdie on 7 (par 4) as the approach literally stopped about 6" in front of the cup, dead center.  Nothing like watching a shot land and see it roll on the green to the cup and practically disappear!  For me it was a mental triumph as I did not let the previous hole's blow-up make the rest of the round an issue.   Looking forward to a new season with a lot more pars and a birdie here or there as well.  

image.thumb.png.a2210845864312be5efbe60624544564.png

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Not sure exactly what I shot, but my partner and I shot a net 63 in our Spring Shamble, taking first place. We birdied 3 of the 4 par 5's for net eagles which helped.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Had my best day ever today. Back stillll is not open so me and a buddy played the front 3 times. Par 36 I shot 36, 37, 37 through 27 holes I had 6 birdies and 8 bogies had a few chances to blow up but short game was great and I scrambled my a$$ off. Still am yet to shoot under par, the first time through I was actually 1 under going into the easy par 5 9th and had a meltdown ended with bogie but I know it's coming soon enough. It wasn't even a great ball striking day either. I had a great day with the driver and wedges were pretty solid, I had multiple tap in birdies, and I even made a few decent putts today which was confidence inspiring but my irons are still a little all over the place. 

Shot 90 today with 6 GIR. Started the day driving the ball great with an awful short game. Eventually figured out the short game but lost the good drives. Putted poorly all day.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

A first for me as I played 36 today - flying solo (used a golf cart as my foot would not let me walk that far) so it was pretty quick playing. This was at the other local course that I will spend a lot of time at this year.  Rd 1 was an 88 (45/43, 7/14 fairways, 37 putts) - big takeaway, driver was consistent, putting okay - greens are still lumpy, bumpy, irons inconsistent). Rd 2 was a 93 (46/47, 10/14 fairways, 34 putts) complete with a birdie on 2. Putting was more consistent.  With the course’s greens in less than optimal shape, approaches bordered on serious pin hunting.

Side note - played up one set of tees in 2nd rd - to see if there would be a significant score change.  Overall an enjoyable time of working through shot scenarios and seeing what worked and what didn’t.  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Saturday's round an 81. Today's round an 81. 1 over going into 12. Beautiful drive, hit my hybrid a little left and saw it bouncing over some small hills. Looked for probably 15 minutes and never could find the ball. Ended up with a double bogey, and then proceeded to bogey in.

At least we were able to get the round in today. Started with a little drizzle as we finished putting on 18, and the sky opened up as I pulled the golf cart into the garage.