IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Our local course has an annual open championship, a two day tournament that usually gets around 80 golfers. I have had a long couple of weeks at work and was just exhausted yesterday and ended up shooting an 82, could not focus enough on the putting and had almost 39 putts which is way above my average of 30. Today I felt much more rested and was 3 under going into #16 and hit one really poor shot and then blew a putt and ended up taking a double and finished out with pars to shoot one under. I ended up placing 3rd which was the first time I've placed in a 2-day tournament so I was quite happy overall. Walked away with quite a bit more money then I put in to it, so can't beat that..lol.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You know my recent complaints about how I've been playing poorly?  Scratch them.  I played a course (Wilson at Griffith Park) where I don't think I've ever broken 90 before and where every hole feels like bogey should be a good score, even though I'm a 13 handicap.  Shot an 86;  two double bogeys (one on a par 5! Ugh) but nothing worse and only those two.  Six pars claim the card.  Best since-getting-Game-Golf drive today, too, with a 259 yard drive not-cartpath-assisted.  That's up there with one of my best ever drives, too. 

I'm not sure I was a better ball striker today, but I focused on two things:  thinking about golf when getting up to hit (I've been guilty of thinking of other things while standing over a ball) and not using the flagstick as where I'm trying to hit the green when I'm outside of 80 yards. 

Funny story, 13.0 index, an 86 at that course from the tees I played is good for an exact 13.0 differential -- I literally shot my handicap today, on the nose.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I FINALLY DID IT! I BROKE 80 :-D!!!

Managed to play 36 holes today.  Started the day off horribly, double bogied the first 5 holes and made the turn with a 48...yuck.  Played much better on the back and strung together a 39 to shoot an 87 for the first round of the day.

I really liked how I played on the back and wanted to see if it carried over into another round so I walked back to number one and ended up pairing up with a couple of random hackers (they both failed to break 100) to see how things would play out.  Well, I played better on the front, but not outstanding and made the turn with a +6, 42.  My goal for the year has been to finally break through that plateau and break 80.  I thought I might have an outside chance at it, but really wasn't expecting much going into 10/

That continued as I hit my tee shot on the 200 yard par 3 really fat leaving a 60 yard pitch to the green.  Pulled the pitch shot left, missing the green.  Well this isn't a good start at shooting a 37 on the back.  Had a really tricky uphill chip shot and I would have been happy to be within 5 feet.  Hit the chip and its tracking good...then just happens to fall in for par.  Okay, scratch that we're off to a good start.

11 and 12 (a par 5 and par 4) are closed due to aerating the fairways (recently flooded and they need it to get back up to scratch) so we go straight to 13 which is a drivable par 4 (270 slight dogleg right).  I decide to go for it, with my only goal being to avoid snap hooking it (as that has been my miss lately).  I hit a drive on a perfect line, but I didn't feel like it was good enough to get to the green, I figured I'd be around the greenside bunker or under one of the trees that guard the dogleg.  This would be fine, as it would be a shot chip to a birdie putt.  However, once I got to the green I notice that there were three balls on the green (two of which are my playing partners).  There it is, my Project A sitting 25 feet from the pin giving me an eagle putt.  I two putt for birdie (1 under on the back).

The next hole is another short par 4 but it's straight uphill so it's really not something the majority of players can drive.  I once again play it safe aiming down the right side hoping to avoid going OB if I hook it.  Instead I come across the ball producing a fade that bordered on a slice , putting me in some deep rough with a 80 yard approach shot to the green.  I managed to get the GIR, but I'm left with a 30 footer, downhill putt that if you go too long you roll right back off the green.  I get a bit scared of my first putt leaving me with 6 feet to finish.  Make the 6 footer for par.  Move on to the par 5 15th and I hit a good drive and have a shot at getting on for eagle, only to hit a thin cut to another patch of deep rough, leaving me with a 40 yard pitch up a hill to have a birdie putt.  It's a shot I really don't like, but I play it really well and leave myself with a 5 footer for birdie.  Make the birdie putt (-2 on the back).4

Ho hum par on number 16 leads to 17.  Massive hook which honestly isn't that bad on the hole even if it is off of a mountain since if you go far enough left you have no problem getting back over the trees.  Pitching wedge to 25 feet, two putt for par.  18, 180 par 3, hit a 7 iron to  about 12 feet only to have it spin back to 15 feet.  Two putt for par (still -2 heading into number 1 which replaces number 12).  I'm officially nervous, I've played lights out on the back and I'm facing two holes where a hook is likely going to lead to OB.  Breathe...

Hit a beautiful drive down the fairway, hit my 58* wedge a little fat just short of the green....breathe....Hit a beautiful chip to the back of the green, put it within a foot.  Tap in my par (still -2 on the back with one hole to go).

I know that all I need to do is avoid a quadruple bogey on #2 (par 5 that replaced the closed 11th) and I'll have my sub 80 round.  Set up for a tee shot down the right side, which isn't really ideal, but it is safe.  Out comes the snap hook, it misses the trees and shoots OB....breathe....Hit my 3rd down the right side to about 180 (to the front) as I was trying to to begin with.  Line up my 4th shot blind and pure a 6 iron.  I run up the hill to watch it hit a foot away from where I would prefer and it kicks right into the greenside bunker.   Okay, no big deal, just hit my bunker shot and putt out and I have it.  Flub the shot....breathe....well I guess I'm going to make this interesting.  6th shot gets me out of the bunker and puts it within 3 feet.  Okay, I've got this, all I have to do is avoid a 3 putt from 3 feet, I'm calm for the first time since about 15.  I sink the 3 footer for a double bogey and shot a 78.  I limped in, but still I did it, I achieved my goal for the year, I broke 80!  Sat back at the club house for about 20 minutes just coming down from the round.  Wrote out the score on a score card that didn't look like it had been in my pocket for 4 hours.  I'm honestly still digesting it as it didn't happen at all like I imagined.  I figured It'd take a couple of sub 40s (two 38s, or two 39s, or even a 39 and a 40).  I never expected to take a 42 and close it with a 36, not because I didn't think I could do it, but typically if I shoot a 42 I stay at around that level meaning a 40 is possible, but a 37 is really pushing.  Oh well, I don't care, because I broke 80! :-D

Breaking 80.jpg

• Upvote 2

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

10 hours ago, baller7345 said:

I FINALLY DID IT! I BROKE 80 :-D!!!

Breaking 80.jpg

Congrats!!!   That's great!   I played with someone last month who broke 80 for the first time on our course (it's a very hard one) and it's a great accomplishment!

I had my own breakthrough yesterday as well.   I broke par, albeit for nine holes.  On a par 35 back nine (one par five) I had 5 birdies, one double and one bogey for a 33.  Lowest 9 ever!  I've shot even par before but never below.   75 was the overall for 18.  42 on the front.

—Adam

73 at the The Refuge (a great local course here).  Was really hitting my long irons well.  Apparently shaming my 5 iron worked.

Bill - 

Played 54 holes this weekend, twice on Saturday once on Sunday. Went 83-79-81.  Sunday I was 4 over standing on the 18th tee box and drove my ball down the right side into the rough. I proceeded to hook 2 balls into the bush and put my 3rd green side.  I was unable to find my first 2 balls and played my 3rd, chip and 2 putts later I carded a 9 on the hole for a 81 finish.  Not the finish I was looking for, but I played solid the first 17 holes.  Going for redemption next round!

46+46=92. Kills me that I cant shoot lower than 91 on this course no matter how I try. But birdied the hardest hole on the golf course and hell, ten days ago it looked like there would be no golf as er dr told me I was likely to need shoulder surgery after a nasty work injury just ten days ago. Made what can only be described as a miraculous recovery. Feeling blessed

Another Saturday morning 84.  Bit of a wild one as I went out in 39, but home in 45.  Had 130 left into the green on #10 after a decent tee-shot and routine lay-up (3 shot par 5).  Then out of nowhere hit a Tin Cup hosel rocket dead left OB, and man did it rattle me.  Started the back going triple-triple, but found it again to par 4 of the last 5 holes.  After that, I would have to agree that the next shot after a sh*nk is one of the toughest in golf.

Tee and short game were strong...hit 12/14 fairways and got up & down for par 7 times.  Irons were off as I missed most greens, but got close enough to keep giving myself chances.  Once I got over the disappointing triples, I actually had a lot of fun trying to grind out a decent score!    

- Bill

36-43-79 at the home course

Front 9 great, back 9 lost focus.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Yesterday was a 42/42 for me. I am liking the come back trail after the shoulder work I had done. Missed a couple of short putts, but all in all quite satified. Another 18 today, last night's weather permitting, which will be my first back to back rounds in quite a while. The course will be a bit on the wet side. Later this week it's the Furnace Creek road trip. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Played 2 person scramble last night on my league and ended up shooting 28. We had 10 putts and I almost aced a par 4. Definitely the best golf I've played all year. 

20160822_183224.jpg

Edited by JxQx

87 - course was crap; hitting off hard pan in "fairway;" I've played better, I played worse. It was good to get out

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Last night of league play.
Shot a 42. 
Quad bogie on 12, par 4 (forgot how to chip, left club face open, etc)
Bogie on 13, par 3 (missed 4 ft putt)
Double bogie on 14, par 4
The rest were pars and a birdie on 18.

par 5 I was on in 2, driver 8 iron but still 3 putted!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Played in our Fourball tournament yesterday:

38-36-74 (2 birdies, 1 double, 1 3-putt)

Won our match 1 up, the two retirees that we played had amazing short games.  They got up and down to save par several times from 60-70 yards from the green. 

Onto the final 8.  :-D

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Shot 81 on a very hot day which is never a good thing for me.  After practicing my drives quite a lot in the last week I still put it O.B. twice off the tee (but boy did they go far!)

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter