Jump to content
IGNORED

Your Day with the (Newport) Cup! (2015 Edition)


iacas
Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

OK, I finally got my pictures to work.

IMG_6981.JPG.34036fcd87de2a7d5a2793fc069

IMG_6983.JPG.f74dd6d090fd219d6e9224ff25f

IMG_6984.JPG.54b6fdc3beb4795dd193b25bbd4

 

IMG_6985.JPG.1eb0eda07d76231429d3a35fa85

IMG_6986.JPG.52ed4bbc6adbda3e5237434a517

IMG_6982.JPG.09640dbfb90118ec0c1cd66386a

@Big C, you are up next!  Text me your address and I'll ship it out. :)

Love the Pirate Straw!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

OK, I finally got my pictures to work.

IMG_6981.JPG.34036fcd87de2a7d5a2793fc069

IMG_6983.JPG.f74dd6d090fd219d6e9224ff25f

IMG_6984.JPG.54b6fdc3beb4795dd193b25bbd4

 

IMG_6985.JPG.1eb0eda07d76231429d3a35fa85

IMG_6986.JPG.52ed4bbc6adbda3e5237434a517

IMG_6982.JPG.09640dbfb90118ec0c1cd66386a

@Big C, you are up next!  Text me your address and I'll ship it out. :)

Trophy day with trophy brood! Awesome..

Vishal S.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome topic!  It's crazy to think how it's been over 10 years now since the first playing of The Newport Cup!  Fun times!

I enjoy seeing all the photos of the Cup in all the different locations.

Edited by Thrash13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Thrash13 said:

I enjoy seeing all the photos of the Cup in all the different locations.

@Big C is getting the cup for his "day" on Friday.  I was going to send it to him last week, and then we planned golf for Monday so I was going to hand it to him, but he a had last minute change of plans.  I decided to bring it anyway and get some photos with @tristanhilton85 and @DaveP043 and his gang, and to just add Indio to the list of places the cup visited, but I learned of an unfortunate family emergency on the 18th fairway so I had to race out of there prior to the 19th hole. (Everything is fine now, BTW)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

 but I learned of an unfortunate family emergency on the 18th fairway so I had to race out of there prior to the 19th hole. (Everything is fine now, BTW)

Good to hear its all good now.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am currently taking good care of the cup. If there are no objections, I'll keep it safe for a week or two until I have my official "day" with it.

Since my wife is out of town this weekend, my activities have been limited to caring for my son and watching football. I'm guessing Erik was hoping for something a bit more exciting, so I'll try to plan some fun activities for the cup when I return from a busy week or two of upcoming business travel. 

@mchepp- If you don't mind, please PM me your address, so I can get it shipped to you promptly upon completion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
On January 24, 2016 at 4:06 PM, Big C said:

I am currently taking good care of the cup. If there are no objections, I'll keep it safe for a week or two until I have my official "day" with it.

Since my wife is out of town this weekend, my activities have been limited to caring for my son and watching football. I'm guessing Erik was hoping for something a bit more exciting, so I'll try to plan some fun activities for the cup when I return from a busy week or two of upcoming business travel. 

@mchepp- If you don't mind, please PM me your address, so I can get it shipped to you promptly upon completion.

We don't mind a week or so, but let's try to get this around to everyone before the 2017 Newport Cup. :-)

More time to plan means… you must have a pretty great "Day" in mind! :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, iacas said:

More time to plan means… you must have a pretty great "Day" in mind! :-D

Uh oh... pressure!

I actually do have something in mind that I think will be pretty cool. Logistically, it will take some work, so hopefully it turns out as well in practice as it does in my mind!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quite a day (weekend actually) for the Newport Cup! We started with a family hike around the nature trail in Long Beach on Saturday. My son and I took care of the cup while we enjoyed the ducks, geese, turtles and other wildlife that El Dorado Nature Center had to offer.

Later that afternoon, I took a trip to the driving range, where I hit a bucket of balls under the watchful eye of the cup. The girl in the stall next to me (who incidentally had a swing that would make 95% of the golfers on this site jealous) took time away from her practice to tell me that she thought the cup was "really cool."

This morning, I participated in the Huntington Beach half marathon. My wife handed me the cup around mile 12 and I cruised across the finish line with the cup in tow. I have to say that the cup was much cooler than the medals they were giving the finishers. 

Later this afternoon, we watched the Super Bowl, where the cup had the glorious distinction of holding the Super Bowl squares cash. Sadly, despite buying 20 squares, i struck out completely and that fine wad of cash was awarded to someone else.

After a busy weekend, the cup enjoyed relaxing on my desk next to my match play championship trophy. I thought the two made quite an attractive pair.

Michael Hepp, you are up next! The cup will be shipped your way tomorrow.

 

 

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very cool, @Big C! That was a real action-packed day!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

@Big C, really raising the bar!!!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, Big C said:

Quite a day (weekend actually) for the Newport Cup! We started with a family hike around the nature trail in Long Beach on Saturday. My son and I took care of the cup while we enjoyed the ducks, geese, turtles and other wildlife that El Dorado Nature Center had to offer.

Later that afternoon, I took a trip to the driving range, where I hit a bucket of balls under the watchful eye of the cup. The girl in the stall next to me (who incidentally had a swing that would make 95% of the golfers on this site jealous) took time away from her practice to tell me that she thought the cup was "really cool."

This morning, I participated in the Huntington Beach half marathon. My wife handed me the cup around mile 12 and I cruised across the finish line with the cup in tow. I have to say that the cup was much cooler than the medals they were giving the finishers. 

Later this afternoon, we watched the Super Bowl, where the cup had the glorious distinction of holding the Super Bowl squares cash. Sadly, despite buying 20 squares, i struck out completely and that fine wad of cash was awarded to someone else.

After a busy weekend, the cup enjoyed relaxing on my desk next to my match play championship trophy. I thought the two made quite an attractive pair.

Michael Hepp, you are up next! The cup will be shipped your way tomorrow.

 

 

 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That's awesome! 

  • Upvote 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Big C said:

the cup had the glorious distinction of holding the Super Bowl squares cash

The Cup should have retained a small "handling fee"   :beer:

Great weekend with the cup @Big C

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The race photographers caught a couple of good action shots with the cup. Here is the attached link. I think it will disappear in a couple of weeks, though. 

Race Photos

40 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

The Cup should have retained a small "handling fee"   :beer:

Great weekend with the cup @Big C

No question about it! I tried to pitch that idea, but no one else was buying it

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

The Cup arrived here on Saturday afternoon for me. It arrived at a very interesting time for my daughter. Currently she is slightly obsessed with any kind of trophy. I have a few from various golf tournaments member/guests, member/members, etc and she has been keeping them in her playroom. So when the Cup showed up she was beside herself with excitement. She ran around the house and even posed for a photo. 

casey_trophy.thumb.jpg.a0203a09eee674a6e

My idea for the Cup trophy was to try and capture some sites around Portland as we went about our weekend. On Sunday we went took our daughter to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) in downtown Portland and I took a photo at the sign upon entering.

omsi_sign.thumb.jpg.c7743c255bb3079af490

OMSI has a nice area around it where you can walk around near the Williamette River here is a shot of me and the trophy with downtown in the background. 

downtown.thumb.jpg.3da43120523314131b9a6

And here is the trophy without me in the case you don't like my ugly mug.

downtownn.thumb.jpg.59c8a3eb93283b2c3132

Sunday was also Valentines Day so the trophy was able to stand in as a vase for the flowers I got my wife.

casey_rose.thumb.jpg.3720ec59c9d55767d3a

Monday was a holiday, so I got a bonus day with the Cup. It is suppose to be a "day with the Cup" but with the extra vacation day I figured what the heck. We went to the Chinese Garden located in downtown Portland. 

garden.thumb.jpg.c3b38732c78e080550dfb65

Lastly the garden is near to a very famous spot in Portland, Voodoo donuts. In reality I have only been to this place once and I don't really get the hype but the line which probably had 60-70 people in it means it must have something good. You can see part of the line on the left hand side of the picture. I will often see people on the airplane ride home with a box of voodoo donuts with them. The pink box is somewhat famous.

voodoo.thumb.jpg.eba9cdbee0bc5bf673ffd54

I am the last of the red team to have the Cup so now I am the first to send it off to someone from the blue team. I guess I should pick the person who is the most west on the blue team which I am guess is Matt. @saevel25 PM me you address and I get it on its way to you.

  • Upvote 3

Michael

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator

Hunter might make a good choice, too.

Hunter, then John, then Vishal/Dave/Vince, then Matt, who can drive it over to me when he comes to work on his swing.

Great day(s) so far!

P.S. @jbishop15 -> @Club Rat -> @DaveP043 -> @GolfLug -> @SavvySwede -> @saevel25 -> @iacas.

P.P.S. Gonna be tough to top some of these… :-) But the blue team, we're gonna bring it!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've already had many days with the Cup. Has Barrett been overlooked on the West Team?

Great days with the Cup by Red Team members, the bar is set very high......:beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Popular Now

  • Posts

    • Little bit of practice today. Nothing major, just a bit of work on the clubhead at A4. Feel is the backswing is all shoulder turn while keeping the club in front of me.   Not working on anything in particular beyond that. Club was across the line pretty hard when I first started. Haven't kept up with the stuff I was doing earlier in the year. I honestly think I liked the swing from March better. Not going to worry about it now, since I'll have new stuff to work on soon. I actually meant to map out shot zones with my Mevo+ today because I feel like I've lost some of my distance control on the course but I forgot to charge it so it didn't happen. I worked on short game stuff, instead. Standard release 2 pitch to no particular distance. I apparently have no concept of how far the club goes back because I swore that was parallel, but it's clearly not. It's not even to parallel in the practice swing. A throwback to an old challenge: Messing around for fun:  
    • I would not think of aimpoint as being a "there's a right way to do this and a wrong way" on this aspect of it (you need to use % slope to have it tie to finger width though for example). If it's working for you, then have at it. I personally haven't 100% bought into the whole thing yet (although I am getting there). I use it to verify my sight read or if i'm struggling to figure out what it's going to do. That said I had a putt last week from about 25 feet on my last hole. I looked from behind and thought it looked like it was breaking about 2 feet. I tested it and got about 2% at the ball, 1.5% at a 1/3 of the way and 1% at 2/3 of the way, so I figured about 1.5% on average, which worked out to about 18" or so I think. I didn't quite trust it so I went with my original read (I often find aimpoint underestimates the break for me - I need to do more work on my calibration). It broke quite a bit early and then straightened up and actually at the end went a tiny bit back the other way. If I took all four measurements (3/3, 2/3, 1/3 and 0/3) and trusted it, I'd have probably ended up holing it.
    • Your fingers haven’t gone on the same part of the hole for about a decade though.
    • Wordle 1,068 3/6* 🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨 🟨🟨🟩⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    • I didn't knew either that the method changed in the last years. I agree that over maybe 8 feet the difference between the reality and the fingers method is not significant because of been the length of the putt longer than the height of the player. But inside that area and closer to 3 feet the difference is important and can lead to confusion.  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...