IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd like to see myself get down to a 12 (or so) index. I'm working hard on keys 2 and 3 now that I've begun to settle into my new living situation. I really enjoy playing on weekends, but I feel I need to split my weekend time up 50/50 practice/play to accomplish my goal. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Win a tournament

I play college golf and want to win one of the tournaments that we play in. I "won" my first ever tournament last September but I felt slighted because it was a T-1 and we ended up getting two trophies instead of playing off for 1st because we were on the same team. I want to win one outright. The conference we are in is one of the best in the country but I believe I have the talent to do it.

2. Become a plus handicap

I have been between 0.5 and 2 for over a year now and it is endlessly frustrating. Honestly I have no idea how I am going to achieve this one. Getting too this level makes it even harder to reach the next level. Perhaps I will find a swing coach I can trust and create a good practice plan with him. 

:titleist::vokey::edel:

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 8.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... 3-wood: Titleist 915 Fd 13.5o w/ X-flex Aldila Rogue 70 ... Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19o w/ X-flex Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec HB 8.8 ... Driving Iron: Titleist T-MB 3-iron w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 1o flat) ... 4-6: Titleist 716 CB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... 7-PW: Titleist 716 MB Irons w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (1o strong, 2o flat) ... GW: Vokey 52.12 F grind w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff+ (2o flat) ... LW: Vokey 58.08 M grind w/ TT DG S400 (2o flat) Putter: 34" Edel McKenzie

Get down to 7.x  so I can play my countries senior championships (only to be in the field would be huge for me).

Reach the cut in the strokeplay, matchplay and foursome championship of my club.

Win 75% of my matches in competition.

Edited by MacDutch

Woodshedding fairway woods and longer clubs.  Although not long, I'm contentedly consistent from tee to fairway.  Best part of game is 150 and in.  Good around and on greens rarely giving away shots there.

It's the par 5s and long par 4s where covering 150+ yards is the pathetic part of my game.  Will practice those 200 to 150 shots a BUNCH this season.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I just want to solidify the progress I've made. Last year I didn't play much due to a new job but I think I've got it under control now and will get more time in. If I can average mid to low 90s I'll consider 2016 a success. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Break 100.  Last year, my best round was 105 so I think this is legitimate.

How to do it:

I'm going to continue taking lessons; I found an instructor in the area I like.

Practice and play as much as I can. 

Get new clubs?  I know that the clubs aren't going to break 100 for me.  However, I bought clones off the internet a few years ago and I keep wondering (a) if they're any good and (b) why name brand clubs are better.  (I can objectively compare things like cameras, but golf clubs?  not so much.)  The only people who have said anything about my clubs are people who want to sell me different ones.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Its a toughie this year. My second child is due April 17th so golf will be limited (but cant think of a better thing to sacrifice it for!). However im really happy with my full swing and short game so my goals for this year are to break 100 consistantley and aim for that 90 and maybe get my handicap into the high teens (that last one may be a bit optimistic)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My ideal goal is to go from a 21.2 (based on five rounds) to an HCI between 15 and 10. Primarily I just want to play as much as possible, enjoy it as much as possible, and keep improving through lessons and practice.

It's already a dramatically different game from when I first decided to pick up the clubs again last August.

Edited by Tod
edit to HCI

My goal is to get rid of the dreaded sh**k I've had for the past year and to listen to the advice I'm given.

Hopefully get back to low 90's high 80's like used to be, head down power on.

• Play more frequently, one round a week is limiting - even an extra 9 one day a week after work would be great
  • Encourage my buddy Laurence (a fairly new golfer) to get proper lessons from a pro; he'll enjoy the game far more - I'm not in any way qualified to teach him, and am likely ingraining my very bad habits when he asks me for advice (does anyone else in this world still use an interlocking grip on a putter with the index finger of the right hand fixed rigidly down the grip of the club)? An old golfer from the 1940s taught me that when I was a kid in the 1980s, I've always done it, ever since - it's probably obsolete (or worse). I look forward to playing with Laurence more, once he has had some professional lessons
  • A lot more walking, and a lot less riding
  • Learn to hit a 3 wood off the deck with a higher degree of confidence that the end result won't be embarrassing

* My daughter starts the 1st program this year(she is 8). I want to play 5 nine hole Par 3s with her.  

* My best score over 18 is a 101. I would like to shoot a 94 this year.   

May be small and basic but these are mine.  

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

My main goal for 2016 is to start working on keys 4 and 5.  Im still trying to lay the shaft down and swing inside out which I think will start me down the right path with those keys. I just sent in my 1st evolvr video of the year.  They have done wonders for me which I really appreciate.  I really want to feel like I can hit good solid shots with longer irons. Last season I was having problems making good contact with my 6-4 iron (if Im even carrying the 4 iron) and when I did hit them well I had no idea where they were going.   As far as scoring goals Id like to post a round in the 70's.  Once the weather gets a little better I want to keep up with the 5 mins of practice a day.  That helped me a lot last year and I can get a cool badge if I ever complete a month. 

I ended last year with a 0.7HC index and my goal is to finish the year under 1.   So long as I don't get worse, I'm OK.   yes, I know lofty goals!  LOL

I won't be playing as much as in the past, so maintaining is a reasonable goal.  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

1) re-learn driver (first time bagging one in about 5yrs)

2) stop tinkering w/ equipment (no more club hoing, stick with my Wilson Duo, etc)

3) enjoy!!

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

I'm newly retired, so I'll have a lot more time to practice and play. My goal is to get my HCI back to single digits, and as low as possible. I also want to relearn how to hit the doggone ball first with my irons instead of the ground! I used to be able to do that in my late teens and early twenties, but life intervened and the ability floated away.

I also want to play in a tournament that the local newspaper hosts called the "Greatest Golfer in the Valley". They have a youth tournament with various age brackets, and another tournament for the adults with various age and handicap brackets. Plus you get to play some very spiffy local country clubs! Nice!

EDIT: And what are these "keys" that people above have been referring to? I'm new here. Is there an instructional page somewhere?

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Note: This thread is 2704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!