IGNORED

What Are Your 2016 Golf Goals? Official Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My Club Pro asked me this same question today during my lesson.

I told him that I see so many of the members with nice easy swings. And they are hitting it pure with good trajectory and distance. Looks effortless to me.

Right now, my swing is in a shambles. Driver is great. 54 and 58 chips/lobs ok. Putting ok. Full swing with my irons - is a total mess. Hips/arms coordination is way out of control. I'm still trying to hit 'at' the ball, instead of swinging free and letting the ball 'get in the way'.

Most of these members are older than I am. And I'm old. :)

My response to this question was that I wanted to get back to a swing that feels as easy as their swing looks.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rehab my new hip and get my handicap back down so the first digit isn't a 2.  My present handicap is a hangover from my old arthritic hip.

Butch

Right now it's back to breaking 100. Yikes.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

On 3/2/2016 at 7:35 AM, krupa said:

Break 100.  Last year, my best round was 105 so I think this is legitimate.

How to do it:

I'm going to continue taking lessons; I found an instructor in the area I like.

Practice and play as much as I can. 

Get new clubs?  I know that the clubs aren't going to break 100 for me.  However, I bought clones off the internet a few years ago and I keep wondering (a) if they're any good and (b) why name brand clubs are better.  (I can objectively compare things like cameras, but golf clubs?  not so much.)  The only people who have said anything about my clubs are people who want to sell me different ones.

New goal:  18 holes with no 3 putts.  Is it possible?  I don't know, but that's my goal.

I don't really care if I break 100 but I'm getting sick of 3 and 4 putting so much.

I still may get new clubs.  I went to a Ping demo day and really liked hitting the Gmax irons.  They're G... to the max!

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Goals for this year:  Improve on my short game; no fat chips and no 3 putts. If it weren't for duffs and 3 putts, I could break 80 consistently.  

I coach football so my golf season comes to an end in August unfortunately, besides the occasional weekend round. By then I would like to become more consistent with my driver and be breaking 90 regularly. I've done that twice so far this season, with an 87 and an 85 but with a better tee shot I think consistent mid 80s is not out of my reach. 

I only started playing in August 2015, and I am 58 years old, so I have to be realistic about things. Officially my handicap is 28, albeit I am playing off of about 25. I would like an official handicap of 24 by the end of the year, and my ultimate goal is 18. All that said, golf is destroying my body, as I now have a bad back, two bad shoulders, and tennis elbow, so if I am still playing at all by the end of the year it will be nice.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I have lots of micro ones regarding scores and handicap. The main one though is become more consistent with my ball flight to help me remove half the course from my equations.

Hi, My name is Matt.

On 4/7/2016 at 9:32 PM, Muzza said:

Get my handicap and then steadily improve on it throughout the year.

Enter at least 3 club competitions this year

Remove the "blow up" holes from my round that always appear

Get into consistent 80s would be my top goal.

Handicap card completed - Off a 23 which is a bit higher than I'd like,

Going to play in my first comp next month hopefully.

Still working on those blow up holes.

Shot an 86 yesterday which is my best round in a long time! 

My goals this year were to get my handicap back to scratch. Play in the final group of a two day tournament again. Qualify for my home club's Ryder Cup style event. And shoot my career best 9 hole and 18 hole scores. 

I met the second goal today as I am in the final group tomorrow of my home club's Memorial Weekend event. 

2016 Goals (Revised):

1.  Break 100   Carded a 99 on 5/21

2.  18 holes with less than 2 putts/hole average.

3.  Get my average score into the low 100s or better.

To achieve: 

Practice putting more and roll some putts before my round to get a feel for the speed of the greens.

Continue taking lessons and working on full swing.  I absolutely need to work on shots inside 100 yds.  Specifically, practice distance wedge shots and less-than-full swings and do that at a range with accurate yardage markers.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed numerous fairly achievable goals so far this year. I've come back to the game after a decade or so of playing once or twice a year (I've bought new clubs, joined a club, played at least once a week, often more, and of course joined TST).

First I wanted to break 100, then 90, then get my HC. I've done all these, and having shot a 39 thru 9 holes for the first time this week my next goal is to break 80 and maintain or lower my HC.

This is going to be seriously tough. Getting through 18 holes of golf without a blow-up hole is a huge challenge. The thing I probably need to work on most is long irons/ hybrids/ woods off the deck. I can't afford to top the ball no more than 100yds even once in a round.

This past January I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis - a severe compressing of the nerves by vertebrae within my spinal column in the lower back. To walk or stand for more than five minutes becomes very painful. I can be treated and hope to have my full health back in a few months. 

It's tough to not play but I know I'll be giving golf a run for its money again perhaps by late summer.

I literally live in a condo with my balcony overlooking the sixteenth hole of Kellogg Golf Course, a local layout here in Peoria.

This truly inspires me every day when I look out there and watch others playing there games and admittedly depresses me too if I let it. The key is don't let it.

So I've embarked on a whole new effort.

My goals are (1) to play golf regularly again. (2) dare myself to play retro clubs. Thanks to ebay I am buying a set of beautiful Ram Golf persimmon woods as I type. 1-3-5. I already bought the same Ram irons - in almost new condition no less - that I played when I was a six handicapper and had no qualm playing from the "blue tees" with my golf buddies. Or competitors. Am I mad? I don't think so. (3) form new strategies of scoring better despite my physical condition, and (4) be happy to be playing golf no matter what I use, how I swing, and what I do on the course.

Golf kept me close to my father during the four years in the 1960's that I worked for him on weekends as his caddy. I didn't play then, but later did start playing once he insisted "it was time". It's been a joy ever since.

Adams Tight Lies 2 ST Driver 9 Deg.
Adams Tight Lies 2 ST 3 Wood
Future owner of Titleist Irons & Vokey Wedges
1968 Shakespeare Gary Player Signature Mallet Putter (A gift from my Dad)

My general goal is continuous improvement up until 75 years of age, at which point I plan to find something else to do. I started at 70, and I’m now 72. But it’s terribly frustrating. I winter on an oceanfront tropical golf course, and I have lots of courses around me in the summers here in Northern New York. I have no kids, or family, besides my wife, who forecaddies for me; I’m not on a budget, and I’ve not one thing in life that I have to do. So I practice and play a lot…but I barely lower my scores! in spite of seemingly discovering something new and important to help every month or so. Every time I go out I optimistically feel that I am on the brink of a breakthrough toward shooting under 40 for nine, my numerical goal; but it’s like every time I take a half step toward an impregnable wall; which, as if in a nightmare, I am predestined never to reach.   

My goal for 2016 is to maintain my bogey golf status. That's all as of right now. 

My secondary goal is to find more time and money to play ;)

- Mark

Note: This thread is 2711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!