IGNORED

R&A has decided Trump Turnberry won’t host British Open

caniac6
Note: This thread is 3058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

No it doesn't because the history is already there with the Opens in its past and there is always room for it making its way back into the Open rotation in the future, I'm sure, if Trump sells it or whatever.  Plus, it's not like there were only 4 amazing courses in the entirety of Great Britain and now there is going to be this big black hole where its played on a goat track every time Turnberrys turn comes up.  It's going to continue to rotate at all of the other amazing venues and maybe they'll add some new amazing venue to spice it up.

No idea, but I did find this regarding the host city of last years US Open: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article45002841.html

Thanks. I know that conventions and major sporting events bring in a lot of money for local economies. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Turnberry was already a stretch as a venue because of it lacking infrastructure to host a modern British Open. Part of the reason they awarded it was because of the publicity and planned improvements the course got from Trump's takeover. Now that he's toxic, they don't feel compelled to do him any favors. 

The R&A gets to choose whom to associate with in a similar vein as Trump gets to decide what he says. They're closely related freedoms

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I'm glad we all agree it's okay for associations and businesses to decide who they do business with based on their personal or political beliefs.  I'm going to save this thread for future reference.

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Let's face it, if Trump becomes the POTUS we have FAR, FAR, FAR more pressing International concerns than where the Open is being held.

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

22 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'm glad we all agree it's okay for associations and businesses to decide who they do business with based on their personal or political beliefs.  I'm going to save this thread for future reference.

They can, and we can laud or criticize their judgment, and similarly decide whether we want to further associate with that organization. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

29 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Agreed....

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

The PGA Tour and the PGA did this a long time ago. They decided they would not hold tournaments at courses that did not have minority members. This really came to a head when the PGA was going to hold the PGA at Shoal Creek in Alabama. So yes,some buisness decisions are based on personal and political beliefs. I know I would not play at a course owned by someone that expressed hateful and exclusionary racial beliefs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

That might be the biggest understatement of this entire election. :-D

Spoiler

:offtopic: He has high unfavorables among certain segments of Republicans as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Let's face it, if Trump becomes the POTUS we have FAR, FAR, FAR more pressing International concerns than where the Open is being held.

International and domestic concerns.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

2 hours ago, caniac6 said:

I know I would not play at a course owned by someone that expressed hateful and exclusionary racial beliefs.

I'm not playing Trump Ferry Point anymore b/c of this. Although, to be honest, I'm also biased by my opinion that's it's an overrated, ridiculously overpriced track with lousy views and slow play.  :-O

So....

He just got a whole week of open tee times to sell at (insert ridiculous price) per person, times four, times however many groups can play on a typical day in July, plus caddie, plus merchandise and other sales not related to playing the course (food and beverage come to mind)....

He's not hurting.

15 hours ago, newtogolf said:

We do have the right to choose who we do business with, with some limits, at least in the US.  If you decide you don't want to sell a chicken sandwich to someone because he's gay, or because he's a Muslim, that goes beyond the limits.

4 hours ago, minitour said:

So....

He just got a whole week of open tee times to sell at (insert ridiculous price) per person, times four, times however many groups can play on a typical day in July, plus caddie, plus merchandise and other sales not related to playing the course (food and beverage come to mind)....

He's not hurting.

Its not just one week, play is usually stopped on a tournament course for several weeks before the actual event.  On the other hand, once the cachet of "Open Rota Course" is removed, Turnberry becomes similar to Prestwick (without the long history)  Demand will go down, and prices will go down accordingly.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

We do have the right to choose who we do business with, with some limits, at least in the US.  If you decide you don't want to sell a chicken sandwich to someone because he's gay, or because he's a Muslim, that goes beyond the limits.

Its not just one week, play is usually stopped on a tournament course for several weeks before the actual event.  On the other hand, once the cachet of "Open Rota Course" is removed, Turnberry becomes similar to Prestwick (without the long history)  Demand will go down, and prices will go down accordingly.

I see some ambiguity there.  Trump is being penalized for statements and ideas he's made, he's not POTUS or in the position to build a wall or to prevent Muslims from entering the country, aren't his words and ideas protected under the 1st Amendment?   If you support the actions of the R&A and PGA Tour will you also support business owners that decide to turn away people who publicly support "Black Lives Matter" or the NRA?

This isn't about Trump, this is about establishing precedents that I believe many of you will take issue with when the people or groups you associate with are targeted.

Joe Paradiso

I see some ambiguity there.  Trump is being penalized for statements and ideas he's made, he's not POTUS or in the position to build a wall or to prevent Muslims from entering the country, aren't his words and ideas protected under the 1st Amendment?   If you support the actions of the R&A and PGA Tour will you also support business owners that decide to turn away people who publicly support "Black Lives Matter" or the NRA?

This isn't about Trump, this is about establishing precedents that I believe many of you will take issue with when the people or groups you associate with are targeted.

There's ambiguity in all of life, and I'm sure there's some inconsistency in my views on a number of subjects.  I do support Mr. Trump's right to say what he wants to say.  All the 1st Amendment says is that the US government won't restrict your right to say what you want.  However, freedom to say it doesn't mean there aren't consequences.  One consequence that Mr. Trump is hoping for is that he'll be elected President.  He chose to put his opinions out there, he has to accept the consequences, for good or bad.  Nobody is choosing not to do business with him based on his religion, or the color of his skin.  The decision by the R&A is based on what Mr. Trump has chosen to say. Its also based on their estimation of potential consequences if they DO award an Open to Trump's Turnberry.  The decision may also be based on principles, but I'm guessing that principles come second to business.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Not sure how much this impacts anybody outside of those who love to see the BOC at Turnberry. I would assume there would be a marked divide on this in the membership. I am sure there would be plenty in it who would whoop for joy as to not have to put up with the hassle and circus that a championship of this caliber brings.

Aren't there plenty more to chose from? Good on R&A for sending the right message and be politically correct.

Vishal S.

21 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Not sure how much this impacts anybody outside of those who love to see the BOC at Turnberry. I would assume there would be a marked divide on this in the membership. I am sure there would be plenty in it who would whoop for joy as to not have to put up with the hassle and circus that a championship of this caliber brings.

Aren't there plenty more to chose from? Good on R&A for sending the right message and be politically correct.

I've read that as a resort course, there's a relatively small group of members.  Since the golf course is part of the resort, and not owned by the members, I'm not sure that the membership have much say in the matter.  That's definitely what I've heard from members at Trump's Washington DC course (located in Sterling, VA), that Mr. Trump does as he pleases.  Their only choice is whether to continue to remain as members, and most choose to stay.. 

As for other courses, of course there are dozens good enough to be a suitable venue.  The logistics, however, make many of them problematic.  As I mentioned before, the Open has only been held at Turnberry 4 times, with 10 years or more between events, so I don't think removing Turnberry from the rota will hurt the R&A at all.

Dave

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I've read that as a resort course, there's a relatively small group of members.  Since the golf course is part of the resort, and not owned by the members, I'm not sure that the membership have much say in the matter.  That's definitely what I've heard from members at Trump's Washington DC course (located in Sterling, VA), that Mr. Trump does as he pleases.  Their only choice is whether to continue to remain as members, and most choose to stay.. 

As for other courses, of course there are dozens good enough to be a suitable venue.  The logistics, however, make many of them problematic.  As I mentioned before, the Open has only been held at Turnberry 4 times, with 10 years or more between events, so I don't think removing Turnberry from the rota will hurt the R&A at all.

Ha ha.. why does that not surprise me?

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 3058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!