IGNORED

Where Is Your Next Golf Trip Going to Be?

Smidd4

24 minutes ago, Lefty-Golfer said:

First day back in the office after returning yesterday from Pinehurst NC...that yearly pilgrimage never disappoints!!

It would be nice if you could write up some of your impressions and experiences from your Pinehurst visit.  It seems like a fair number of us either go there regularly, or would like to visit some day.  A separate Pinehurst thread in the Golf Travel section would be a good place to combine all of our knowledge for all to use.  If you don't get to it first, I'll start something in the next few days.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good idea, I love the town and area, I was fortunate enough to be asked to go there for the first by a client and have never stopped going back. I have done it on the cheap in the off-season (mid February), I have done it on the company dime where we flew a charter into Moore county airport...I can't say I am an expert but I do have some opinions. I have every intention of buying real estate there in the next 5 to 7 years so I feel kind of connected to the area.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

A linksy trip to Scotland in July:

1) Turnberry

TurnberryResortScotlandTheAilsaChampions

2) Western Gailes

11614.jpg

3) Machrihanish Dunes

Machrihanish-Dunes-5th-Hole.jpg

I am so excited...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

15 hours ago, b101 said:

A linksy trip to Scotland in July

I am so excited...

As you should be, last summer we played Iceland, Ireland then 2 rounds in Scotland. What a special place even my wife has agreed that we are going back to Scotland and we're going back to golf and enjoy the beautiful people and country. 

But not this year, in June it'll be Maui, gonna play Kaanapali, and of course the Plantation course at Kapalua. 

Have fun,

iSank

• Upvote 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

@krupa and I are going to get together with some folks from TST that are from my area. 

Maybe Myrtle Beach, Pinehurst next year in like March...

But possibly Turning Stone this year, we'll see.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Small stuff this year, but we are heading to Maine for a go at Mars Hill and later on a trip to PEI. Fine courses and a great atmosphere there.  Lobster is pretty good too.

4 hours ago, iSank said:

As you should be, last summer we played Iceland, Ireland then 2 rounds in Scotland. What a special place even my wife has agreed that we are going back to Scotland and we're going back to golf and enjoy the beautiful people and country. 

But not this year, in June it'll be Maui, gonna play Kaanapali, and of course the Plantation course at Kapalua. 

Have fun,

iSank

Maui sounds great - slightly different weather to Scotland - enjoy!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

9 hours ago, gatsby47 said:

Small stuff this year, but we are heading to Maine for a go at Mars Hill and later on a trip to PEI. Fine courses and a great atmosphere there.  Lobster is pretty good too.

I've played the Mars hill course several times.  Fun course, conditions are typically OK, although I haven't played there in over 10 years since I moved to Virginia.  If you have the chance, take the 30 minute ride from Mars Hill and go play Aroostook Valley CC in Fort Fairfield.  It's considered a Maine course, but the clubhouse and course are actually in Canada (built during prohibition) but the parking lot is in the US.  It's one of my all-time favorite courses.  Used to play this a couple of times a year when I lived in Maine.    You can drive it from Canada to the US if you hit it out of bounds on the first hole.  And there is no border crossing, you park in the US, pay your golf fee, and then walk into Canada to play golf.

PEI is very nice too, although I only got to play once while I was there.  Brudenell River.  They have 6 par 5's, 6 par 4's and 6 par 3's.  Very nice course.   Any reason you are going all the way to Mars Hill instead of going through Calais to go to PEI?  If you took the shorter route through Calais, The Algonquin Golf Course at The Algonquin Resort, St. Andrews By the Sea is a fantastic course, originally built in 1894 and redone in 2000.  Another one of my favorite courses.  Some spectacular views of the Atlantic ocean.  

And if you take another trip to Maine, you need to stop in Bar Harbor and play Kebo Valley, another one of my all-time favorite courses (another course you could play on the way to PEI).  It's right at the base of Cadillac Mtn in Acadia National Park.  

12 hours ago, iSank said:

Have fun,

iSank

Maui was awesome, went there in 2013.  The Plantation course was fantastic. The Wailea courses are very nice as well.  If you want a tough course, play the Dunes at Maui Lani.  Had one of the toughest par 4 driving holes that I can remember, finding the fairway was tough (I did not).  We also played this little gem on the way back to the airport called Pukalani CC.  Have fun.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I live in Fredericton NB.  The trips will be for our foursome/ 8some  and will be separate trips.  Have played Mars Hills on an annual  basis.  I believe this year we are focusing on Green Gables and Forest Hills in PEI.  We have an NB Golf two for one coupon/sticker and will play Algonquin in the fall. But with the still huge differential in the value of Canadian/American dollar, we are staying close to home this year. 10 years ago, We took a cruise around the Islands and played the Dunes at Maui Lani and it was fun and unforgettable; a once in a lifetime thing. In front of our group were two foursomes from Japan. They had flown in for the weekend from Japan and were madly getting in 36 holes a day for 3 days.  They told us it was cheaper to fly and play in Hawaii than it was to play one round in Japan.  Amazing and a far cry from my yearly home course annual membership of 900.00 Canadian taxes and national and provincial assoc. fees, included.

Edited by gatsby47

On Friday, April 01, 2016 at 0:15 PM, spider said:

Enjoy!

In 10 days I will start my 50-state-50-capital golf trip! First course, Raven golf club in Phoenix, Az.

You're gonna dig the Raven. Good course. Phoenix is overflowing with fantastic courses

15 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

And if you take another trip to Maine, you need to stop in Bar Harbor and play Kebo Valley, another one of my all-time favorite course

Maui was awesome, went there in 2013.  The Plantation course was fantastic. The Wailea courses are very nice as well.  If you want a tough course, play the Dunes at Maui Lani.  Had one of the toughest par 4 driving holes that I can remember, finding the fairway was tough (I did not).  We also played this little gem on the way back to the airport called Pukalani CC.  Have fun.

Agree with Kebo, beautiful country, fun course.

Last and 2nd time I played Planatation I had a cast on my right arm. Had the tee time when I broke it, so what was I gonna do? I played, not my best game, looking forward to having a full swing. 

Will have to look into Maui Lani, that whole area seems to be one big sand box.

Aloha,

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

6 hours ago, gatsby47 said:

I live in Fredericton NB.  The trips will be for our foursome/ 8some  and will be separate trips.  Have played Mars Hills on an annual  basis.  I believe this year we are focusing on Green Gables and Forest Hills in PEI.  We have an NB Golf two for one coupon/sticker and will play Algonquin in the fall. But with the still huge differential in the value of Canadian/American dollar, we are staying close to home this year. 10 years ago, We took a cruise around the Islands and played the Dunes at Maui Lani and it was fun and unforgettable; a once in a lifetime thing. In front of our group were two foursomes from Japan. They had flown in for the weekend from Japan and were madly getting in 36 holes a day for 3 days.  They told us it was cheaper to fly and play in Hawaii than it was to play one round in Japan.  Amazing and a far cry from my yearly home course annual membership of 900.00 Canadian taxes and national and provincial assoc. fees, included.

Cool, I've been to Fredericton a couple of times, but to candelpin bowl, not golf unfortunately.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• 1 year later...

Last August, we were lucky to play in Hokkaido, Japan! Definitely a destination for golf buff travelers looking for a week-long of adventure in one of the best-kept greens in Asia. Their golf season starts early May to late October, and apart from the nifty travel spots is the scenic beauty of nearby mountains covering the city. Tourist/golfers will definitely find this place a must go destination

north country club.jpg

That looks beautiful, I'll have to add it to my list of future vacation spots.  Its interesting that this thread got revived today, I'm leaving in an hour for Pinehurst, for the NEwport Cup competition.  Then in January, I'll be back in Palm Springs.  In June, I'm going back to Scotland, this time 4 days near Prestwick in the southwest, then 4 days near Gullane and North Berwick.  I have a pretty full year coming up!

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Newport Cup event here we come. 

I'll go to Orlando around the New Year to visit my parents. And then back to Augusta for the Master's in April. 

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

That looks beautiful, I'll have to add it to my list of future vacation spots.  Its interesting that this thread got revived today, I'm leaving in an hour for Pinehurst, for the NEwport Cup competition.  Then in January, I'll be back in Palm Springs.  In June, I'm going back to Scotland, this time 4 days near Prestwick in the southwest, then 4 days near Gullane and North Berwick.  I have a pretty full year coming up!

Scotland....on the bucket list.  Would love to do a two-week vacation over there and hit Scotland for one week and Ireland for another.  Might be too much golf.  Wait, did I just say that?  :-)

14 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Newport Cup event here we come. 

Indeed.  It's raining down here now but looks clear and beautiful the rest of the week.  Should be ideal conditions.  Can't wait!

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave