IGNORED

2016 Masters Toonamint Discussion Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, RFKFREAK said:

I'll give him credit for that.  Good job.

Anyone know if it's a contractual obligation?

I used to really like Nantz.

Now I think he sucks hard. 

Agreed. The guy is so full of himself I want to vomit anymore. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a guy who just had a child (my second) born 6 days ago I'm real happy for Willett. I don't think I'll be allowed to play in this next month or two after her birth, let alone fly across the Atlantic to go win a major. Good for him.

• Upvote 3

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

• Administrator
2 hours ago, skydog said:

I didn't want to see Spieth run away with it but relative no name winners are not good for the game at this point IMO. Yes, yes, to die hard golf fans he's not a no name, but to 99% of folks he is.

Non-golf fans will forget who won in a few days.

2 hours ago, natureboy said:

'Not in the face.' Sheesh, hearing what you want to hear much?

I heard what he heard too. They weren't particularly close to him.

1 hour ago, Scotsclaff said:

Thanks but he's not needed.

He has to conduct the interview.

41 minutes ago, Chris E said:

Agreed he had poor iron play at times, but I know I didn't imagine all those drives in the trees to the right. Do that on a US Open course and you're in 4" rough. 

4 inches? That's the first cut. :-)

27 minutes ago, Pitchandputting said:

If anyone deserves a major it's Lee Westwood.

Lee deserves what he's gotten: he doesn't close.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, PJCdude said:

As a guy who just had a child (my second) born 6 days ago I'm real happy for Willett. I don't think I'll be allowed to play in this next month or two after her birth, let alone fly across the Atlantic to go win a major. Good for him.

Congratulations!

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

41 minutes ago, Scotsclaff said:

Good post.

This is mainstream media,always looking for sensationalism never mind the guy who actually won.It's normal.It also happened to Stewart Cink when Watson blew it at Turnberry...it's normal but also pathetic.

It has been commented on this thread that 99% of "people" don't who Danny Willet is,in Europe,in the golfing world,100% of "people" do know who he is.

America isn't the only country that plays golf.

Also a good post.

I'm reminded of a tournament, don't remember which, where somebody edged out Tiger. A bunch of media guys went running after him in the parking lot wanting interviews. Tiger asked them why they weren't in the press center talking to the guy who won? Suddenly Tiger became a petulant cry baby!

Another post mention the Ryder Cup and how Ian Poulter is an a**hole! I'll tell you what, our side could use a couple of a**holes just like him. The Ryder Cup Ripper!

I didn't watch the jacket ceremony. I got on the computer as soon as the outcome was guaranteed. If Spieth wasn't the most gracious guy, I can completely understand. It's one thing to get beat playing good golf but someone else plays better. It's another to puke down the front of your shirt and throw it away! Spieth had history in his hands and blew it! I can imagine his guts were in turmoil and his brains were scrambled.

It was also mentioned that someone needs to remind Spieth that he did finish tied for second! He fought back, no give up in him. Know how many times Nicklaus finished second in majors? A lot!

3 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Congratulations!

Thanks man!

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

13 minutes ago, PJCdude said:

Yes this could be a Renaissance tournament for golfers like Westwood. Could Langers prediction about older players winning majors be true? If so why and who? Also been  impressed with the amatuers this year a 68 from Langasque today, Dechaumbre doing well and not forgetting Paul Dunne leading the Open last year. The standard is definitely improving.

Edited by Pitchandputting

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Non-golf fans will forget who won in a few days.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

Who won the Superbowl in 2013? If I really wanted to know, I'd have to Google it. I'm not a football fan, (well, I am, but not that type of football).

Right now, Mr. Willett is (deservedly) the talk of the sports pages. Come 19th June 2016, chances are the newspapers will be agog with another major winner.

I think non golf fans in the UK if not the US will still remember Danny Willets achievement today. Just because he seems unfashionable to some doesn't mean he's forgetful to many - especially in his home nation. Remember he's a top 20 golfer with the potential of more majors under his belt. This is what makes him different to Todd Hamilton and others Webb Simpson - no disrespect to either. 

Edited by Pitchandputting

57 minutes ago, Donny Smithern said:

And today's 2nd biggest winner......Rickie Fowler.

WTH - Did he place a large wager on Willett?

Players play, tough players win!

Congrats DW he played a good round not his fault JS gagged in epic fashion. Didn't watch it played golf instead followed it on my phone. Interesting to just see the movement on the leaderboard. 

Dave :-)

There were lots of players in the water on 12 throughout the day. And many others just barely staying dry.

Jordan took too big a risk with that hole given he had a lead to play with and a very good short game. Maybe on the back 9 he started making conservative swings to aggressive targets instead of the reverse.

I wonder if he started getting desperate when he didn't save par on 11 (after a great 3rd) and it carried to the 12th tee?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

28 minutes ago, natureboy said:

I wonder if he started getting desperate when he didn't save par on 11 (after a great 3rd) and it carried to the 12th tee?

His miss all week has been that push right. It has been something he was working on before the tournament. I think he was stuck between that miss and the swing he wanted. That is why you would see him stripe a drive or stick an iron shot than block one way right.

They had a great angle on the highlight video. His feet are aimed on the left side of the front bunker. His clubface is probably playing his draw starting somewhere left of the pin and if it draws its at the center of the green. If it didn't it's near the pin. The blue circle is where his ball landed. 

12th.JPG

That wasn't him being more aggressive. That was him hitting a horrible shot. We like to glorify these golfers as infallible. Especially someone of Spieth's level. In the end Golf is Hard and these guys can hit some bad shots. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I didn't know who Willet was until the thread discussing his decision to skip the masters due to the birth of his child was created.  He played solidly and was in the right place when his competitors failed to execute.  ESPN and the media are going to cover Spieth, the local kid, who gave away the tournament because that's a bigger story here than Danny Willet.  I'm sure in the UK and Europe Willet will get plenty of headlines and deservedly so.  

I'm curious to see how Jordan recovers from this.  I know how the woulda, shoulda, coulda's can keep you up at night and mine didn't compare to what happened to him today.  I was worried how he'd handle the back nine but given the lead he had I thought he would play conservatively and avoid big numbers, boy was I wrong.  I wonder what his mindset was at the turn, was he over confident thinking he had it won or was he nervous facing the back nine again.  

I thought I heard him question his caddie about the club choice on 12 but others heard it differently, I would like to hear that conversation over again because I can't imagine why he would take a club in that position that he wasn't 100% certain he could land on or slightly past the green.   I know he mishit the 2nd shot into the water but it seemed he hit the first one clean, it just wasn't enough club.  If he bogeys 12, he's in a playoff, the #1 goal should have been to avoid a big number, someone made a big mistake.

Congrats to Willet, he will be taking a nice big check home to his wife and newborn.  

Joe Paradiso

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

His miss all week has been that push right. It has been something he was working on before the tournament. I think he was stuck between that miss and the swing he wanted. That is why you would see him stripe a drive or stick an iron shot than block one way right.

They had a great angle on the highlight video. His feet are aimed on the left side of the front bunker. His clubface is probably playing his draw starting somewhere left of the pin and if it draws its at the center of the green. If it didn't it's near the pin. The blue circle is where his ball landed. 

Did you see the video of him discussing this shot? He specifically was trying to hit a fade here to get the perfect number on distance. He was concerned that a draw would be in the bunkers or even further back if wind affected the shot. He was most definitely not attempting to play a stock draw on that hole / pin position.

We like to glorify these golfers as infallible. Especially someone of Spieth's level. In the end Golf is Hard and these guys can hit some bad shots. 

I certainly don't think they are infallible.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!