IGNORED

Golf and Alcohol

Tim Williamson
Note: This thread is 1006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Alcohol and Golf  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you drink when you play?

• Not at all
    • Rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Often
    • Always or nearly all the time

To what extent is alcohol a part of your golf game? Some of the guys I have played with start working on their buzz as soon as they get to the course in the early morning. One of them told me that he plays better when he's had a mixed drink to start things off. He went on to say that the more he drinks the better he plays. I consider some of them functioning alcoholics. How can being impaired help your golf game? When I started playing with this group I partook in the post game libations. I soon realized that this is not fun, especially the next day hangover. I love golf but I can do without the alcohol. I decided that the only way I can join in any post game gathering is with a non-alcoholic brew. Playing with a group where a good number of players use alcohol as part of their ritual has made me examine how I feel about the mixture of golf and alcohol. I see golf as an athletic pursuit. It requires focus and stamina. 

• Thumbs Up 1
It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed.”. Ram Dass

I do not drink and thus don't mix the two, but I really feel anyone that says they play better the more they drink are fooling themselves.  I remember back in high school where kids would say that they actually drive better when drinking, and we know how delusional that is.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently moved home. The players I play with now all tee off at about 9am, so alcohol isn't an issue. Prior to moving my friends and I teed off at 10am. The round started with a nip in a coffee, and after the first 9 the beers were open. To be honest, I preferred the 10am start. Golf should be a sociable game, and a few beers help. My friend is a pro and runs a club. During the summer he sends out a beer cart. Golf should never be taken to seriously !!

Golf is like driving, you do it so much better after yo have had a few LOL

Edited by paininthenuts
  • Upvote 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

23 minutes ago, Tim Williamson said:

To what extent is alcohol a part of your golf game? 

Maybe a few beers on a rare occasion. Mostly I drink afterwards and even that is sparingly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I cant mix the two any longer. My old golf work league, we would take work trash cans and fill them with ice and beer for league play. 1 beer maybe made me play better.. more than that and my concentration and coordination suffered.

• Upvote 1

All my golf buds drink so I drink most every time I play.  It's an event for us.  We don't run the bars much anymore so this is our alternative now that we're old.  Nothin better than an afternoon drunk.  Wake up the next day feeling great.

I don't when I play alone or if I get out during the week but that's pretty rare.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

League night - usually two on the course, one more after the round.  I play in a league where not one of the 28 guys care whether they win or lose a match.  It's just about hanging out, having fun and golf among friends.

One weekends, I only drink gatorade or water during the round.  Best golf drinking is on Sunday's after the round over a nice dinner with the wife.  Usually have a pint or two of the 'good stuff' during our after round meal.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I voted on occassions. Even then it will just be a couple of beers. I still have to drive home after the round. Even when I have a couple of beers, it's usually when I am out with friends/relatives. 

Another issue with me is that I play alot of golf in warmer, and hot weather. Alcohol and high temps don't collide well with each other. 

As for playing better when drinking, it's not impossible. There is a point where relaxation sets in before stupidity does  when consuming alcohol. A relaxed golfer will play better.

Other than lots of water when golfing, I would have to say my own personal addiction would have to be diet cherry dr pepper. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

54 minutes ago, Abu3baid said:

I do not drink and thus don't mix the two, but I really feel anyone that says they play better the more they drink are fooling themselves.  I remember back in high school where kids would say that they actually drive better when drinking, and we know how delusional that is.

Agreed.

I'm not even sure I believe the "one beer loosens you up" myth. 

On the other hand I admire (kind of) people that can drink and still strike solid. There must be some good muscle memory going on there - that I don't have.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

I voted "rarely".  In general, 90% of my rounds of golf fit at least one of the following criteria, which tend to discourage consumption:

• Playing early in the morning
  • Playing alone (or paired up with groups I don't know)
  • Walking with a pull cart

That said, if I go for an afternoon round with someone who does drink beer while golfing, and we ride a cart, I'll have a beer (or two, max, for a round).

AFTER the round...well, that's a different story.  A cold beer or two after a round of golf - either at home on my deck, or at the course if I'm golfing with someone - is one of the greatest "simple pleasures".

• Upvote 1

- John

0%

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, Tim Williamson said:

To what extent is alcohol a part of your golf game? Some of the guys I have played with start working on their buzz as soon as they get to the course in the early morning. One of them told me that he plays better when he's had a mixed drink to start things off. He went on to say that the more he drinks the better he plays. I consider some of them functioning alcoholics. How can being impaired help your golf game? When I started playing with this group I partook in the post game libations. I soon realized that this is not fun, especially the next day hangover. I love golf but I can do without the alcohol. I decided that the only way I can join in any post game gathering is with a non-alcoholic brew. Playing with a group where a good number of players use alcohol as part of their ritual has made me examine how I feel about the mixture of golf and alcohol. I see golf as an athletic pursuit. It requires focus and stamina. 

I can, and often do have a cold one after my round.  One or two beers doesn't cause hangovers.  I rarely have any during the round, even when my buddies do (see below).  

32 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Agreed.

I'm not even sure I believe the "one beer loosens you up" myth. 

On the other hand I admire (kind of) people that can drink and still strike solid. There must be some good muscle memory going on there - that I don't have.

When a round is going bad and I get frustrated and tense, one beer somewhere around the turn really can relieve the tension and help me play better.  Even so, I rarely do even that much on the course, because I can usually analyse what's wrong and fix it without assistance.  However, that first cold beer in the clubhouse really does hit the spot at the end of a frustrating round. 

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I can, and often do have a cold one after my round.  One or two beers doesn't cause hangovers.  I rarely have any during the round, even when my buddies do (see below).  

When a round is going bad and I get frustrated and tense, one beer somewhere around the turn really can relieve the tension and help me play better.  Even so, I rarely do even that much on the course, because I can usually analyse what's wrong and fix it without assistance.  However, that first cold beer in the clubhouse really does hit the spot at the end of a frustrating round. 

I don't like clubs that don't have a 19th hole. Part of the ritual, no matter how good or bad th round is...

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

25 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

I don't like clubs that don't have a 19th hole. Part of the ritual, no matter how good or bad th round is...

I don't like clubs where the only beers they offer are Budwieser products or the other lousy commercial beers. Would it kill them to offer some microbrews?

• Upvote 2
It is important to expect nothing, to take every experience, including the negative ones, as merely steps on the path, and to proceed.”. Ram Dass

I don't drink when I play golf, or any sport.   Drink will dull my senses.   

BTW, the poll result so far does not show what I see in courses.   I see more people drink than what the poll result suggests.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, Tim Williamson said:

I don't like clubs where the only beers they offer are Budwieser products or the other lousy commercial beers. Would it kill them to offer some microbrews?

Come on out to Colorado.  Most of the courses that visitors are most likely to play serve one or several micros.  I really don't drink any other beers.  Even the little bar in this tiny rural town where I live usually has a couple on tap as well as several in bottles.  Colorado has 200 odd microbreweries, so it's almost universally available.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

One and only time I tried it, I played very poorly.  Could not concentrate properly. 

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1006 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!