IGNORED

SI Article on Tiger Woods

pecos24
Note: This thread is 2889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

Honestly, I tend to give Palmer and Watson a pass because they're good guys.

In other words, you're full of shit.

• Upvote 5

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Honestly, I tend to give Palmer and Watson a pass because they're good guys.

It has been reported that Watson is not a particularly nice person off the course.  Obviously all you've ever seen is his public persona which, as with many celebrities, is an act that he pulls off well.     

Arnie, on the other hand really is a people person.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

3 hours ago, iacas said:

In other words, you're full of shit.

In your words, you mean....which don't matter very much. :-)

2 hours ago, Fourputt said:

It has been reported that Watson is not a particularly nice person off the course.  Obviously all you've ever seen is his public persona which, as with many celebrities, is an act that he pulls off well.     

Arnie, on the other hand really is a people person.

Yeah, it's hard not to like Arnie...unless your name is Erik, apparently.

10 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Honestly, I tend to give Palmer and Watson a pass because they're good guys. Tiger isn't. Frankly, I'd have been much more understanding of Tiger after the Thanksgiving night 2009 if his PR team hadn't been working overtime in the months leading up to it trying to convince us all what a loving husband and father he was...and then, after the incident, they stonewalled the police so the real details never came out. If you're going to do what Tiger did, at least be man enough to own up to it and accept the consequences.

As far as being a fan of TW only as a golfer, I just can't do that. I can't root for somebody to succeed in a sport, or business, or whatever, if I don't like them as a person. Just as I don't root for Tiger, I also don't root for the likes of John Daly, Michael Vick, Ndamukong Suh, Alex Rodriguez, and Lebron James, among others. There's a reason that Tiger Woods is included in every "Most Hated" list that's come out in at least the past 7 or 8 years...he's just not a likeable guy. 

Watson was an abusive drunk who broke up two marriages. Nice guy? 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Pendragon said:

Honestly, I tend to give Palmer and Watson a pass because they're good guys. Tiger isn't. Frankly, I'd have been much more understanding of Tiger after the Thanksgiving night 2009 if his PR team hadn't been working overtime in the months leading up to it trying to convince us all what a loving husband and father he was...and then, after the incident, they stonewalled the police so the real details never came out. If you're going to do what Tiger did, at least be man enough to own up to it and accept the consequences.

As far as being a fan of TW only as a golfer, I just can't do that. I can't root for somebody to succeed in a sport, or business, or whatever, if I don't like them as a person. Just as I don't root for Tiger, I also don't root for the likes of John Daly, Michael Vick, Ndamukong Suh, Alex Rodriguez, and Lebron James, among others. There's a reason that Tiger Woods is included in every "Most Hated" list that's come out in at least the past 7 or 8 years...he's just not a likeable guy. 

I think he's very likable as a golfer, I don't know him personally, nor do you beyond what you've read.  If we are going to base our opinions on what's reported on them by the media, there are very few celebrities we should like.  

Tiger is/was a competitor, he wasn't on the PGA Tour to make friends, he was there to win.  Ben Hogan wasn't know for being nice to his peers but he's one of my all-time favorites.  What he did in his personal life is between him and his families.  A lot of people cheat on their spouses, not all of them get caught or have their indiscretions  covered 24/7 by every media outlet in existence.  

You give guys like Palmer and Watson a pass, why?  Why isn't Dustin Johnson on your list, he's broken up a few marriages and failed some drug tests?  

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Pendragon said:

In your words, you mean....which don't matter very much. :-)

Yeah, it's hard not to like Arnie...unless your name is Erik, apparently.

I like Arnie just fine. I just don't pretend that he didn't cheat on Winnie like it was law, or that he was a "great guy" or whatever you said.

What did Tiger do that Tom and Arnie didn't? Get caught more publicly?

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

I like Arnie just fine. I just don't pretend that he didn't cheat on Winnie like it was law, or that he was a "great guy" or whatever you said.

What did Tiger do that Tom and Arnie didn't? Get caught more publicly?

Well, for one thing he played a heck of  lot better than they did,  LOL.  When people are so unbalanced in their justifications for their opinions (Tiger is bad because of his moral failings but Arnie is good in spite of the exact same moral failings) there is generally some other underlying factor that is not being expressed that accounts for the difference.  I don't know what it is in @Pendragon's case, but I know that as far back as Tiger's earliest days on tour, before the moral failings became known, the same intense dislike was all around us on the message boards of the time - back then it was largely because of his deep deep tan, IMO.  Tiger's fall from grace came as a great boon to those folks as it gave them a legitimate pretext for the dislike they already had on less creditable grounds.

• Upvote 3

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

Well, for one thing he played a heck of  lot better than they did,  LOL.  When people are so unbalanced in their justifications for their opinions (Tiger is bad because of his moral failings but Arnie is good in spite of the exact same moral failings) there is generally some other underlying factor that is not being expressed that accounts for the difference.  I don't know what it is in @Pendragon's case, but I know that as far back as Tiger's earliest days on tour, before the moral failings became known, the same intense dislike was all around us on the message boards of the time - back then it was largely because of his deep deep tan, IMO.  Tiger's fall from grace came as a great boon to those folks as it gave them a legitimate pretext for the dislike they already had on less creditable grounds.

I agree that if someone doesn't like Tiger for the indiscretions then it would be hypocritical not to dislike others for the same indiscretions.  

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

4 hours ago, turtleback said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. As noted elsewhere, though, there must be a reason that every "most hated" list in recent years includes Tiger Woods. Those aren't lists that I created. Surely ESPN, the Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, Forbes, the Bleacher Report, and Real Clear Sports, among a number of other publications, can't all be wrong.  

9 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I think he's very likable as a golfer, I don't know him personally, nor do you beyond what you've read.  If we are going to base our opinions on what's reported on them by the media, there are very few celebrities we should like.  

Tiger is/was a competitor, he wasn't on the PGA Tour to make friends, he was there to win.  Ben Hogan wasn't know for being nice to his peers but he's one of my all-time favorites.  What he did in his personal life is between him and his families.  A lot of people cheat on their spouses, not all of them get caught or have their indiscretions  covered 24/7 by every media outlet in existence.  

You give guys like Palmer and Watson a pass, why?  Why isn't Dustin Johnson on your list, he's broken up a few marriages and failed some drug tests?  

DJ isn't one of my favorites, but when you're trying to come up with the names of the biggest jerks in sports off the top of your head, you're bound to leave out a few. By many accounts, Sam Snead was kind of a jackass, too, and my late uncle Charlie, a scratch player for most of his life, confirmed that firsthand  after playing with him at The Greenbrier back in the 50's. 

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. As noted elsewhere, though, there must be a reason that every "most hated" list in recent years includes Tiger Woods. Those aren't lists that I created. Surely ESPN, the Sporting News, Sports Illustrated, Forbes, the Bleacher Report, and Real Clear Sports, among a number of other publications, can't all be wrong.  

So what? We're not discussing those lists. We're discussing (right now) what you said. You said you now hate Tiger, yet you think Arnie and Watson are great guys. That makes you full of shit (on this topic), IMO.

I too am tempted to chalk it up to one of the trio's "deep tan" as @turtleback said. You think the two white guys are good guys, but don't like the darker skinned one. Hmmmm.

4 hours ago, Pendragon said:

DJ isn't one of my favorites, but when you're trying to come up with the names of the biggest jerks in sports off the top of your head, you're bound to leave out a few. By many accounts, Sam Snead was kind of a jackass, too, and my late uncle Charlie, a scratch player for most of his life, confirmed that firsthand  after playing with him at The Greenbrier back in the 50's. 

From what I understand, Tiger is always nice to his fans. At least, when my friends saw him.

Honestly, he seems to be a good sportsman as well, even though he is hard on his competitors as he should be. I guess I don't see him the way you do. IMO if you hate him for other reasons that's your choice, but the reasons you listed don't make sense.

I was curious why this thread has 3 pages...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

55 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Halfway to the length of the article!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

From what I understand, Tiger is always nice to his fans. At least, when my friends saw him.

Honestly, he seems to be a good sportsman as well, even though he is hard on his competitors as he should be. I guess I don't see him the way you do. IMO if you hate him for other reasons that's your choice, but the reasons you listed don't make sense.

I know someone who met Tiger at a tournament that Greg Norman ran. He said Tiger was delightful, friendly and engaging. Norman was elitist and kind of a jerk. And this was in Australia.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 4/5/2016 at 9:24 AM, Fourputt said:

Why is this of concern to you, anyway?  As far as I'm concerned, Tiger can do whatever he feels up to doing.  He's worked his ass off his whole life on golf.  Maybe he's finding out that there actually is a life separate from golf.

Isn't that the whole point of this board? To discuss these things? 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

On 4/9/2016 at 7:28 PM, iacas said:

So what? We're not discussing those lists. We're discussing (right now) what you said. You said you now hate Tiger, yet you think Arnie and Watson are great guys. That makes you full of shit (on this topic), IMO.

I too am tempted to chalk it up to one of the trio's "deep tan" as @turtleback said. You think the two white guys are good guys, but don't like the darker skinned one. Hmmmm.

Not a big fan of racism, nor a big fan of accusations of racism.  Personally, I love Tiger, like Arnie, and despise Watson.  I think there are reasons besides racism for one person to like or dislike some over others.

On 4/9/2016 at 7:28 PM, iacas said:

@turtleback said. You think the two white guys are good guys, but don't like the darker skinned one. Hmmmm.

Edited by tdiii

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, tdiii said:

Not a big fan of racism, nor a big fan of accusations of racism.  Personally, I love Tiger, like Arnie, and despise Watson.  I think there are reasons besides racism for one person to like or dislike some over others.

Then he should simply provide that/those reason(s).

Not too difficult. All we have is this:

On April 8, 2016 at 8:31 PM, Pendragon said:

Honestly, I tend to give Palmer and Watson a pass because they're good guys. Tiger isn't.

Despite the fact that Palmer and Watson are, arguably, perhaps worse than Tiger in certain specific areas of "life."

None of which I really care all that much about - I just care about the golf. Tiger didn't cheat on me, or with my wife, or sister, so… I don't care too much.

@Pendragon's logic doesn't hold up to scrutiny right now.

Just now, iacas said:

Then he should simply provide that/those reason(s).

Not too difficult. All we have is this:

Despite the fact that Palmer and Watson are, arguably, perhaps worse than Tiger in certain specific areas of "life."

None of which I really care all that much about - I just care about the golf. Tiger didn't cheat on me, or with my wife, or sister, so… I don't care too much.

No, I don't think he should necessarily have to give reasons.  I like strawberry ice cream better than pistachio ice cream.  I can't explain why.  There are people who rub me the wrong way and people who don't.  Throwing the race card in the mix here was Cochrane-ist and unfair. 

2 minutes ago, tdiii said:

No, I don't think he should necessarily have to give reasons.  I like strawberry ice cream better than pistachio ice cream.  I can't explain why.  There are people who rub me the wrong way and people who don't.  Throwing the race card in the mix here was Cochrane-ist and unfair. 

liking one ice cream over another based on taste is one thing, liking someone better than another - all things being more or less equal regarding the severity of their transgressions - seemingly based on skin color is entirely different.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 2889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!