IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2016

iacas
Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 hours ago, RandallT said:

Indoor, no ball, mirror.  Back to basics and reviewed posture and grip threads, and Evolvr lesson comments on my posture/grip. Spent several minutes getting in and out of address position. 

Five minutes on backswing. Focused on hand position at A3 (previous comment from instructor), ensuring right elbow stayed in front of shirt seam, full shoulder turn, no right leg lockout, maintain steady head, no cupping of wrist.

Built upon this today at the range. Did the exact same items listed above, but a longer session and with an actual ball.

Plus I used an iPad face on, rather than look in mirror, so that I could check there (and with video playback).

Hit 30 balls over 60 minutes. All slow speed swings. It was tough, but I never even did a full swing. Confirmed video on the backswing about full shoulder turn, steady head. Couldn't quite confirm that wrist wasn't cupped, but checked often. Worked on head staying steady.

Wasn't as focused this session on any details in the downswing, but I just tried to focus on the hips moving forward at the start of the downswing, while keeping my head steady (get a bigger axis tilt). I wanted to keep the practice focused on just the parts I did yesterday, but with a ball to make contact. Overall, contact was fairly crisp- even at slow speed.

The only other thing I checked in the downswing was my left wrist to make sure I wasn't cupping at A6, which I tend to do. The club needs to point straight up at A6, according to my instructor to validate that I'm not cupping. During slow mo swings, I'd spot-check that sometimes. Or I would stop on a downswing to see where my wrist was, then pump the swing back up a bit above A6 and release through the ball, feeling the flat wrist like a tennis backhand.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes mirror work before my workout. Focuses on transition from A4 to 5 with hips turning as they slide per my Evolvr lesson.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5/2/16:

Today I worked on balance, with the shoulder pitch with driveway sticks drill.

I have slowed my tempo down a bit too, I noticed I've been getting quick in my transistion. So I'm swinging at about 75% effort... my clubhead speed is still around 104 and I'm not losing much distance... but I'm a hell of a lot straighter... once is an outlier, but 19 out of 20 is not.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Re-read chapter11 of LSW. And creating a 5 "S" practice plan I'm calling my Tee shot drill. Simply keep my tee shots in the fairway. Specifically am doing slow mo backswing drill with mirrors DTL and FO, with a combination of Steady head drill and weight forward drills, all hitting ball at very slow speed into net inside. Plan to take this to the range and hit bucket of balls in similar fashion and repeat until I build up multiple successes. 

Did 30 minutes of My tee shot drill and 10 on chipping.

Under construction, signature and game.

Played today, not very well, but I played. I've spent a lot of time recently working on my takeaway and it wasn't quite in sync on my warm up and this rolled into my round.

Hi, My name is Matt.

One of my favorite ways to practice my chipping

I take a 5 gallon bucket and a bunch of balls.   set it at a few different distances and aim for the bucket.

5/2 -- 20-30 minutes putting on the rug.  Focused on tempo and not letting my wrists break.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I forgot that yesterday was the start of a new month. I told myself I'd try this out.

Today, I spent about twenty minutes hitting pitches while letting my dogs run in my neighborhood's pet enclosure. My thoughts were on keeping the hands forward at impact, not flipping.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

5 Minutes just now on my priority piece per my Evolvr instructor.  Going to A4, pausing, going to A6, pausing and making sure my shoulders are about level and that the clubhead is behind my hands, and then following through.  I find that in order to do this, I really need to get my weight forward and it also makes getting the overwhelming majority of my weight on my front leg really easy at A9.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

• Administrator

May 2

Played 12 holes. Super wet - no roll. Had some horrible lies that required some short irons.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/iacas/round/868109

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Practiced for about 30 minutes - hitting 9 irons into the net focusing on letting the club drop into the top of the backswing and then really getting my arms down. 

I noticed something on video for the first time yesterday - and that was a point in the downswing at which my hands, arms, clubshaft, etc "flip out" over the plane.  It used to happen immediately but now that I pushed it to a little later in the downswing, I could see it happen. 

I tried to push it even later into the downswing today.  That led to some different feelings of swinging much more "down" but at the same time, not into the ground, either. 

At the end, I took another video and, indeed, I manage to move this flip-out just a little later in my downswing.  This "flip-out" is the point at which I really start aggressively dumping lag - so I think I might have stumbled onto something - pushing this "flip-out" even further towards impact. 

Teed it up in Amateur Circuit opener. Played terrible. Despite recent practice, came OTT on too many shots. Got smoother at end, played last 5 holes in +3.

Rainy and soggy most of day. Round took 6:05 to complete. My group was waiting 10+ minutes to hit on half the holes.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

Practiced for about 30 minutes - hitting 9 irons into the net focusing on letting the club drop into the top of the backswing and then really getting my arms down. 

I noticed something on video for the first time yesterday - and that was a point in the downswing at which my hands, arms, clubshaft, etc "flip out" over the plane.  It used to happen immediately but now that I pushed it to a little later in the downswing, I could see it happen. 

I tried to push it even later into the downswing today.  That led to some different feelings of swinging much more "down" but at the same time, not into the ground, either. 

At the end, I took another video and, indeed, I manage to move this flip-out just a little later in my downswing.  This "flip-out" is the point at which I really start aggressively dumping lag - so I think I might have stumbled onto something - pushing this "flip-out" even further towards impact. 

After I wrote this a light bulb went off . . that "flip out" that I'm seeing/feeling is my release.  At first I started the release from the very beginning of the downswing.  Now I've managed to move it a little closer to impact. 

I went back out to the garage and hit another dozen or so shots.  Yeah - I'm pretty sure I figured out what my release feels like.  I can see how I might get it closer to impact but in the dozen swings I just made I didn't really move it any closer.  I have this leg whipping thing . .argg.  The more intent I focus on another aspect, the more likely I am to whip my legs.  On the last video I took . .it really felt like it would've been pretty good except my lower body was too far forward.  Tomorrow the chair comes back, lol. 

Even though it *feels* like I'm increasing the angle by a large amount . .it actually *looks*, on video, like I'm keeping it the same.  But I am keeping it for longer without specifically trying to "hold on to it".

Edited by Rainmaker

6 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Teed it up in Amateur Circuit opener. Played terrible. Despite recent practice, came OTT on too many shots. Got smoother at end, played last 5 holes in +3.

Rainy and soggy most of day. Round took 6:05 to complete. My group was waiting 10+ minutes to hit on half the holes.

There went any chance of getting some rhythm. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Spend half an hour working on my short pitching, 50-90 range to try and get the distances really dialled in. It's an area that I do tend to ignore as I work on the full swing motion more and as that changes the distances just vary by a few yards here and there.

Hi, My name is Matt.

Committed to my playing partners yesterday to driving straighter so I can use driver better on a narrow course next year. I pulled a drive into some houses instead of 30 yard from the green, and faded a lot of drives deep into other fairways. :-P We actually looked for one and it turned out to be in a position only I was able to hit out of and land close to the green.

So, working on the transition and swing path to prevent the fades and "pulls". My pulls might have been straight off the toe line, but I didn't really check them. Working on my aiming and toe line alignment in the mirror and using alignment sticks. Rehearsing the setup for my range session today.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!