IGNORED

Spectators and cigar smoking

Grndslmhttr3
Note: This thread is 2849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it acceptable for spectators at golf tournaments to smoke cigars, as long as basic etiquette is observed (i.e. not smoking near players and other spectators)? Or is it frowned upon and will make me look like an asshole? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I was curious about other peoples' opinions/experiences regarding this.

-Rich

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Grndslmhttr3 said:

Is it acceptable for spectators at golf tournaments to smoke cigars, as long as basic etiquette is observed (i.e. not smoking near players and other spectators)? Or is it frowned upon and will make me look like an asshole? I'm leaning towards the latter, but I was curious about other peoples' opinions/experiences regarding this.

How are you going to avoid smoking near enough to other people that a gentle breeze couldn't blow your smoke on people?

If you can do that, nobody would really care if you smoked. I just don't know that you can do that…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I smoke cigarettes, and when I want a puff, I find a place apart from people and light up. When I'm "in" the gallery, I do not smoke. Never had a problem. Also, I put out the cig, make sure the butt is cold, and dispose of it properly. I'm not flicking butts all over the course.

I love a good cigar. I have never liked smoking in public though or when busy; to me a cigar is best enjoyed in a cigar bar or your backyard where you can relax and pay attention to the cigar and really enjoy it.

If you are close enough to other non smoking people that the smoke/smell can reach them, then it shouldn't be done. It matters little if the smoke is wind aided or not. Cigars, cigarettes, or a pipes have no place in public places . 

Myself, I like a good cigar every once in a while. Maybe twice a month. I do it in a private manner, with the afternoon/evening breeze blowing the smoke/smell out into the open desert. 

My father died as a direct result of his heavy (King Edwards) cigar smoking. As I recall it, was a miserable expirience for him, and our family. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)

Yeah, I'd probably spend so much time worrying about smoking near people (which as iacas mentioned would probably be pretty difficult to avoid) that it would make both the event and the cigar less enjoyable. I'll just stick to a few cold ones and save the cigar for later. Thanks for entertaining my silly thread.

Edited by Grndslmhttr3

-Rich

I've smoked a cigar at a senior tour event before, I just went around to a side of the green or somewhere on a hole where there weren't any or many people.   It's typically pretty easy to find a spot away from crowds.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

When I volunteered as a Marshall at this year's Frys.com tournament smoking wasn't allowed anywhere.  I kept having to sneak behind the camera tower by the green when players weren't coming through.  As a spectator I have no idea what you would do.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

What about vaping? I quit cigarettes 2 years ago but still use a vaporizer for nicotine. I have heard 2 viewpoints as it is vapor and doesnt count but I know playing partners comment on the smell.

Recently, there was a guy smoking a cigar at the range about 20 yards from my stall, was not a windy day. I was tearing, got a bit of a headache afterwards.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

56 minutes ago, Dan42nepa said:

What about vaping? I quit cigarettes 2 years ago but still use a vaporizer for nicotine. I have heard 2 viewpoints as it is vapor and doesnt count but I know playing partners comment on the smell.

Unless you've got some really funny stuff, vaping shouldn't be much of a problem for reasonable people. Of course, reasonable is in short supply these days.

My bruv uses one occasionally and has some kind of chocolate/coffee type thing going. I find it pleasant.

6 hours ago, Cupcakus said:

When I volunteered as a Marshall at this year's Frys.com tournament smoking wasn't allowed anywhere.  I kept having to sneak behind the camera tower by the green when players weren't coming through.  As a spectator I have no idea what you would do.

Wait, as a Marshall you were sneaking away to smoke and breaking the no smoking rule? Sounds like fine behavior for someone in a trusted position to have.

1 hour ago, Dan42nepa said:

Most places I know of that don't allow smoking also don't allow vaping. Though I'm not sure the exact reasoning, I think it's usually good to assume that if smoking isn't allowed you probably shouldn't vape either.

28 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Unless you've got some really funny stuff, vaping shouldn't be much of a problem for reasonable people. Of course, reasonable is in short supply these days.

My bruv uses one occasionally and has some kind of chocolate/coffee type thing going. I find it pleasant.

My mother recently tried to pick up vaping as a way to cut back on smoking and it's definitely much easier to be around than cigarette smoke is by far. However, depending on the "juice" used it's still not always the most pleasant smell and it's a bit annoying to hear depending on how loud the vaping device is.

Also, as a side note on vaping, even if there is no smell and/or sound to annoy others, you still have vape cloud exhaled. Depending on your proximity to others it could be considered rude to breath that out and have it drift onto them.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

5 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Wait, as a Marshall you were sneaking away to smoke and breaking the no smoking rule? Sounds like fine behavior for someone in a trusted position to have.

Well, as a hopelessly addicted smoker some concessions had to be made, I was working the hole from 7AM to 7PM with only one 30min break to grab a sandwich.  I asked and that is what I was told to do.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

11 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Most places I know of that don't allow smoking also don't allow vaping. Though I'm not sure the exact reasoning, I think it's usually good to assume that if smoking isn't allowed you probably shouldn't vape either.

My mother recently tried to pick up vaping as a way to cut back on smoking and it's definitely much easier to be around than cigarette smoke is by far. However, depending on the "juice" used it's still not always the most pleasant smell and it's a bit annoying to hear depending on how loud the vaping device is.

Also, as a side note on vaping, even if there is no smell and/or sound to annoy others, you still have vape cloud exhaled. Depending on your proximity to others it could be considered rude to breath that out and have it drift onto them.

Interesting as most signs say no smoking and vapor isnt smoke. There is no combustion at all. I only smoke or VAPE with coffee while playing golf or having a beer. I feel much better and my lungs are clear. My friend works for the EPA and they are going crazy trying to figure a way to tax it. All those cigarette taxes states relied on through the years could dry up and what would they do?

38 minutes ago, Dan42nepa said:

Interesting as most signs say no smoking and vapor isnt smoke. There is no combustion at all. I only smoke or VAPE with coffee while playing golf or having a beer. I feel much better and my lungs are clear. My friend works for the EPA and they are going crazy trying to figure a way to tax it. All those cigarette taxes states relied on through the years could dry up and what would they do?

I'm not totally sure how/why they extend it to vaping, but any place I've been to that is no smoking also doesn't allow vaping. There is also some question about this whole "popcorn" lung issue in regards to vaping. I haven't bothered looking into that at all though, for all I know it could just be fear mongering to scare people away from vaping for no reason.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Got back a few hours ago. I did see a good number of people smoking and not really making much of an effort to do so in an isolated area, but it was also windy as hell so maybe that wouldn't have made a difference. I would've felt weird about smoking right next to someone, though, regardless if other people were doing it.

-Rich

Note: This thread is 2849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!