IGNORED

PXG Irons, Are they worth the money?

Note: This thread is 2038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

"If you have to ask...you cannot afford it."   J.P. Morgan

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

They have a "Heroes" program for Vets, 1st Responders etc. 

https://www.pxg.com/en-us/programs/pxg-for-heroes

Set of 1st generation irons for around $1400

Question is about the 'worth' of a recreational toy?

That's so subjective as to be impossible to answer.

Not for me - and with that, I answered for the only person I'm qualified to answer for.

I do hear the fitting process is very extensive.  that might be fun and educational just for the experience and get fit.  Depends on how good it is vs if it's just a sales gimmick.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

The Fitter I use which is on Long Island said to me.  PXG clubs are great, if the price is an issue at all I would look at other clubs.  I have the resources to get any club I want but sometimes there are things that are a waste of money.  If you are a person who keeps a set of clubs for 15 years it might be easier to justify.  I am not that guy.

For the record, many of the guys that work at the fitter play PXG and they can play whatever they want.

• 2 weeks later...

The price of a club does not improve a golfer's swing. That said if a golfer's thinks the clubs are worth $300 each, then to that particular golfer they are.

My guess is that these clubs, like alot of other high priced golf items, are being marketed for egos, and not necessarily lower scores. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

When looking for clubs several months ago I compared 6-irons side by side in a hitting bay; PXG 0311XF vs Callaway Rogue X vs Taylor Made M4 vs what I had at the time - Callaway X-14 which were 17 years old. (I also tested some Mizunos at another time.) The result? No significant difference either in distance or shot dispersion between any of them, including the 17 year old clubs. The point being, when I hit the shot in the center of the face it went straighter and farther than when I didn't regardless of which club I used. Just my opinion but I think PXG has a marketing plan designed to go after the folks who just think that in golf you get what you pay for which as we all know, isn't really the case. But again, that's just my opinion.

So in the end, I went a completely different route. I went for a fitting and let myself get sold on Wishon, which along with Muira, are what he sold. They're fine.

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

No. Anyone who pays $400 per iron isn't doing it to improve their game. They're paying $3200 a set to show people they can afford to do it.

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

In my mind this a lease versus buy type of argument. The idea being if you plan to use the car for 10 years you are better off buying it, but if you want to get the latest model you are better off leasing. This all goes out the window however if you have the disposable income to buy every 3 years. I don't have that disposable income so I think the best way to consider it is more like an investment.

If you buy the PXG irons and use them for 10 years while the initial investment is high, if you use them for 10 years and not buy any of the newer models on the market it really that bad of a deal. We golfers tend to upgrade every few years to the latest model so if after 10 years if the regular club costs $100 per club and you upgrade every 3 years it roughly equals the $300 per club of the PXG iron. 

I think one could justify it but you just need to be disciplined to no longer upgrade for roughly 10 years. For me, I like getting the new models too much to consider the PXG irons. But, one day that could change.

Michael

2 hours ago, mchepp said:

In my mind this a lease versus buy type of argument. The idea being if you plan to use the car for 10 years you are better off buying it, but if you want to get the latest model you are better off leasing. This all goes out the window however if you have the disposable income to buy every 3 years. I don't have that disposable income so I think the best way to consider it is more like an investment.

If you buy the PXG irons and use them for 10 years while the initial investment is high, if you use them for 10 years and not buy any of the newer models on the market it really that bad of a deal. We golfers tend to upgrade every few years to the latest model so if after 10 years if the regular club costs $100 per club and you upgrade every 3 years it roughly equals the $300 per club of the PXG iron. 

I think one could justify it but you just need to be disciplined to no longer upgrade for roughly 10 years. For me, I like getting the new models too much to consider the PXG irons. But, one day that could change.

Here's the problem with that argument. Are PXG 3x more accurate then a $100 iron? No. Do they go further then a properly fit $100 iron? No. They are a vanity purchase. Also, the guy who spends $3200 for a set of irons isn't the guy who keeps clubs 10 years. 

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

7 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Here's the problem with that argument. Are PXG 3x more accurate then a $100 iron? No. Do they go further then a properly fit $100 iron? No. They are a vanity purchase. Also, the guy who spends $3200 for a set of irons isn't the guy who keeps clubs 10 years. 

Your argument isn't that good either. Does a Rolex tell time 1,000 times better than a Casio? No. Does it fit your wrist better than a $10 Casio. No. I guess you are running around telling people on the street wearing a Rolex that they made a vanity purchase? Or maybe you are running down folks who drive BMW's or Harley's to convince them they have a vanity problem also? 

People buy what suits them. Just because you think it is a vanity purchase doesn't make it so. 

Fundamentally your are right, people buying these clubs are mostly those with ALOT of disposable income, but to be fair when PXG came out Parsons was very clear about who his market was for the clubs. Rich folks. However, as in my example I can see someone who is upgrading to new clubs every 3 years justifying a purchase for these clubs if they kept them for 10 years. That's all.

Michael

The name of this thread is "Are PXG iron worth the money?" I said no, and explained why. so far all you've given is a Casio> Rolex argument which has nothing to do with what we're talking about, much like the BMW/ Harley comment. All you've done is said you can justify buying them and keeping them 10 years. Does that make them worth the money? Why not try to explain how PXG irons are worth 3X more then let's say a comparable Mizuno or PING iron? BTW, Rolex is a vanity purchase. It's a want, not a need. As for cars and bikes, you are paying for performance, comfort and various options. Explain what I'm getting from PXG that any other OEm's properly fit iron doesn't give me.

Edited by GrandStranded

5 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

No. Anyone who pays $400 per iron isn't doing it to improve their game. They're paying $3200 a set to show people they can afford to do it.

I happen to disagree with this.   I have a $1200 set of Mizuno's.  I didn't buy those to show anybody anything.   I bought them because I love playing them.  

Furthermore, I have hit the PXG gen 2's.   They are quite amazing.   I simply can't afford to buy them.   But, if I could, I absolutely would.   and it certainly wouldn't be because I want to show anybody anything.  I simply would enjoy hitting them every day.   

but, it absolutely is a matter of disposable income.   Are they so much better than my irons that I would want to save up, sacrifice rounds of golf, vacations and the like just to have them?   No.  Absolutely not.  But, If I had enough disposable income to where spending $3,000 wasn't really going to affect my daily life, then I absolutely would buy them, yes.  

5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Explain what I'm getting from PXG that any other OEm's properly fit iron doesn't give me.

go hit them.   that will be enough explanation for you. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

1 minute ago, lastings said:

I happen to disagree with this.   I have a $1200 set of Mizuno's.  I didn't buy those to show anybody anything.   I bought them because I love playing them.  

Furthermore, I have hit the PXG gen 2's.   They are quite amazing.   I simply can't afford to buy them.   But, if I could, I absolutely would.   and it certainly wouldn't be because I want to show anybody anything.  I simply would enjoy hitting them every day.   

but, it absolutely is a matter of disposable income.   Are they so much better than my irons that I would want to save up, sacrifice rounds of golf, vacations and the like just to have them?   No.  Absolutely not.  But, If I had enough disposable income to where spending $3,000 wasn't really going to affect my daily life, then I absolutely would buy them, yes.  

Hence, they aren't worth the money, which was the OP's question. BTW, there is a $2000 difference between a $1200 set and a $3200 set. No way the PXG's felt that good. 

I think one can spend $1,200-$1,800 for a set of fully customized irons of the same level of QA and service from another major brand OE from a reputable fitter and be just as performance happy.

But I agree with @mchepp and @lastings, they are not really trying to compete in a traditional value sense. Heck, I don't think they are trying to compete at all. I think it is refreshing. I am also certain, that it would be hard to go wrong with them. They would make it right - part of the PXG experience. So if you had couple of extra grand sitting that you wouldn't miss, then yeah, this would be a good purchase.      

Vishal S.

1 minute ago, GolfLug said:

I think one can spend $1,200-$1,800 for a set of fully customized irons of the same level of QA and service from another major brand OE from a reputable fitter and be just as performance happy.

But I agree with @mchepp and @lastings, they are not really trying to compete in a traditional value sense. Heck, I don't think they are trying to compete at all. I think it is refreshing. I am also certain, that it would be hard to go wrong with them. They would make it right - part of the PXG experience. So if you had couple of extra grand sitting that you wouldn't miss, then yeah, this would be a good purchase.      

If you find over paying refreshing, go for it.

2 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Hence, they aren't worth the money, which was the OP's question. BTW, there is a $2000 difference between a $1200 set and a $3200 set. No way the PXG's felt that good

if you're asking if their a good value purchase, no they are not.   but, if you have enough disposable income to afford them, you just want what feels and plays the best.   They feel and play the best.  

3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

If you find over paying refreshing, go for it.

it's not about over-paying.   their not pitching to a value market.   their pitching to a luxury market.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

First of all, who ever told you they feel (utterly subjective) and PLAY THE BEST???? If so, why isnn't every pro whose livelihood depends on performance playing them? Please, be serious. To your second point, we all understand their marketing strategy, and who they're aiming it at. But once again, the question was "Are they worth the money ($400 per club)?" And once again, no they are not.

Edited by GrandStranded

Note: This thread is 2038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!