IGNORED

Golf should be kicked out of Olympics

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf should be out of the Olympics  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Golf should be out of the Olympics (list your reasons)

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

Golf should be out of the Olympics?   List your reasons as to why, or why not.

For me, golf just does not have the numbers to be in the Olympics.   Top stars avoiding the event also speaks volumes.  That is, I am all for getting the golf out of the Olympics which already has too many events.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

For me, golf just does not have the numbers to be in the Olympics.   Top stars avoiding the event also speaks volumes.  That is, I am all for getting the golf out of the Olympics which already has too many events.  

I think golf would be popular enough. I think it beats out a lot of the other events. 

I wouldn't mind if it was Amateur only golfers in the Olympics. They could have qualifiers. They could do team matches as well. 

I would say this Olympics would not be indicative of future expectations on participation from Professional Golfers. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

19 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

For me, golf just does not have the numbers to be in the Olympics.

What do you mean by this?  I interpret it to mean that there aren't enough people interested, but that's not a strong argument.   The numbers for fencing and synchronized swimming can't be terribly big either.

For the record, I voted "don't care."   I will watch exactly as much of the Olympics with golf as without it:  none at all. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

24 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Gold should be out of the Olympics?   List your reasons as to why, or why not.

Golf is a lot more athletic than most people know. Okay, may just "athletic" if your middle aged. :-P

Also, now I can honestly say that all my current hobbies*** are Olympic sports. :-D

***Golf, archery, shooting

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think golf would be popular enough. I think it beats out a lot of the other events. 

Sure, unless the OP means to get rid of all those other "sports" as well. It probably displaced cricket or some other boring English "sport" with a Scottish one.  :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I belive the Olympics shine when they highlight sports that otherwise don't get much attention. Track and field, swimming, gymnastics, etc. These are all very riveting to watch because it is rare that we get to see these sports and makes for a nice break from our typical major sports. 

Golf in the Olympics is unexciting to me. Golf already has their major tournaments where the best from all over the world compete. It is a big hiccup in their schedule as well. 

I say get it our of the Olympics or make it for amateurs only. 

• Upvote 2

- Mark

I'm in favor of replacing golf with perhaps synchronized farting or maybe long range tobacco spitting or even better, loud belching. You could even have a team relay combining all three...............Oh wait!...........never mind, we already have this, it's called a redneck picnic........

Hate crowned cups.

22 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Rio should be kicked out of the Olympics.

Lol!.. that's little dickish but funny..:-D

Vishal S.

Seems like it would be prudent to wait and see how it goes in a few weeks.  I mean, allowing golf into the Olympics is an experiment that is still ZERO years old, so we have very little idea what's going to happen - other than some players aren't playing.

If I had to decide right this minute, I'd vote for them to make it an amateur only event for Tokyo, and then re-evaluate after that.  With the popularity of the college championships, and the international flavor of same, it's not like there wouldn't be buzz.  Jon Rahm would have probably seriously considered waiting another month to turn pro so he could rep Spain in Rio.  Then, of course, there's Aaron Wise, Maverick McNealy, Beau Hossler, etc.  The womens individual champ (girl from Duke, forgot her name) and player of the year (girl from UCLA, forgot hers too) are both from different countries in Europe.  The African-American girl from Stanford (I'm forgetting everybodys names today) would be one of the USA stars.

• Upvote 2

I dont think golf has to be out of the olympics. But it may not be the cash cow the olympic committee was hoping it would be. The summer games just comes at a really inconvenient time for the top international mens players. And they don't need it on top of that. I think mens Olympic golf should be limited players 24 and under only, like what they do for mens soccer. Then they could avoid embarrassments from headline players refusing to play. It also should have a team component. 

The Olympics has an opportunity to grow the women's game tremendously, though. So thats why i think it should remain. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Seems like it would be prudent to wait and see how it goes in a few weeks.  I mean, allowing golf into the Olympics is an experiment that is still ZERO years old, so we have very little idea what's going to happen - other than some players aren't playing.

If I had to decide right this minute, I'd vote for them to make it an amateur only event for Tokyo, and then re-evaluate after that.  With the popularity of the college championships, and the international flavor of same, it's not like there wouldn't be buzz.  Jon Rahm would have probably seriously considered waiting another month to turn pro so he could rep Spain in Rio.  Then, of course, there's Aaron Wise, Maverick McNealy, Beau Hossler, etc.  The womens individual champ (girl from Duke, forgot her name) and player of the year (girl from UCLA, forgot hers too) are both from different countries in Europe.  The African-American girl from Stanford (I'm forgetting everybodys names today) would be one of the USA stars.

Yeah, see this is what I think too to an extent. We gotta give it a few to pass/fail it. This was the first year I watched NCAA and made me believe that it could be an Olympic sport. Having said that I solidly agree that it should be amateurs only. Don't ask me to explain but the amateur competition had more of an Olympics type spirit to it. Also, the Golf world cup event (which I thought almost always fields 2nd or 3rd string pro teams) is another one with a similar feel.

I think it could work. What remains to be seen how much 'value' it adds to the Olympics event itself.   

28 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Golf is a lot more athletic than most people know. Okay, may just "athletic" if your middle aged. :-P

Also, now I can honestly say that all my current hobbies*** are Olympic sports. :-D

***Golf, archery, shooting

Sure, unless the OP means to get rid of all those other "sports" as well. It probably displaced cricket or some other boring English "sport" with a Scottish one.  :-D

hey now..

Vishal S.

IMO, if pro golf want to be in the Olympics, they need to dangle big enough carrot - huge winning prize, making the Olympics a 5th major for that year, etc..   Otherwise, why should muli-millionaires risk injury, waste 3 weeks of their time in places like Rio?   My 2 cents.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

2 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

hey now..

Just having you on. :-D

1 minute ago, rkim291968 said:

IMO, if pro golf want to be in the Olympics, they need to dangle big enough carrot - huge winning prize, making the Olympics a 5th major for that year, etc..   Otherwise, why should muli-millionaires risk injury, waste 3 weeks of their time in places like Rio?   My 2 cents.

It's not for them, it's for the glory of their country!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It's not for them, it's for the glory of their country!

Apparently, it is not enough reason for the likes of Rory, Jason, Vijay, etc..  Make the top prize to be $10M and I'd bet they will play for their country.  ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

For me, golf just does not have the numbers to be in the Olympics.   Top stars avoiding the event also speaks volumes.

I'd give golf another shot at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020, where players won't be traveling to hell on earth to compete for a gold medal.

-Rich

1 minute ago, Grndslmhttr3 said:

I'd give golf another shot at the Tokyo Olympics in 2020, where players won't be traveling to hell on earth to compete for a gold medal.

Rio in the summer is kind of like winter in northern Mexico?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Golf is in my opinion a big enough sport to be in the Olympics. It belongs there. But it should have to weight in terms like OWGR or anything like that to make it very special for the players as well. Otherwise it's just a not wanted 'break' in the middle of their season for some of the (top) players. What doesn't help also is that it doesn't really have a history at the Olympics; if Woods, Nicklaus etc. had Olympic medals it would be an honor to follow them in their footsteps... but only one way to change that starting now.

~Jorrit

I'd prefer to see amateurs compete in Olympic Golf with a gold medal and pro card to the appropriate tour for the winner.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2851 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!