IGNORED

Cheapest/most expensive club you ever bought?

Note: This thread is 2834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in New Zealand, and golf gear here is ridiculously expensive, I'm talking around 2x the prices of most of the stuff I see listed on American sites. I'm just wondering if you guys use any stupidly cheap clubs in your everyday golf bag, or if you think it is necessary to spend big money in pursuit of the perfect clubs. Interested to hear both sides.

Welcome from America...

It truly depends on your feeling... My brand new set was @ $3000.... So I am not sure i can give you an accurate description of the cheap... i once built a component set for $260 so I've been on both sides of the fence.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most expensive for me was my driver. It was under $200, from a club maker,  including the fitting. Least expensive was my putter. $20 out of a bargain bin at some long gone, out of business golf store.  

My whole bag I think is well under $600, including the bag. Heck, I paid more for my trolley, (original ClicGear) than most of my clubs. 

I am a non believer that the more exspensive something is, the better it works. I buy golf equipment for my ego. Not the manufacturers'. :-P

BTW, New Zealand is a beautiful country. You are fortunate. 

Edited by Patch
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Cheapest club I ever bought in this century (2009) was a Slazenger RD (Raw Distance) 5 wood. It was on clearance for $39, and I got a $15 trade-in for an old putter from a garage sale. Net cost: $22.

I played it for about two years.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My irons were $1150 for 4-pw, driver was $400, used Scotty Cameron from ebay for about $180. Thats the cheapest club in my bag.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Cheapest club, hmmm

Has to be a Taylormade Jetspeed 3w HL that I bought for $15 shipped on ebay.

It will likely stay in my bag for a while

I paid $340 for a new odyssey metal X milled putter.  Put the super stroke 5.0 grip on it.  Went to the claw grip and pretty much cured my poor putting stroke(yips).  This was a really cheap solution to a huge problem.  I keep putters a long time, so when amortized out over the life of the putter, it is very inexpensive.

Titleist driver I bought for $19.99 is probably the single cheapest club I've bought (though I have gotten quite a few free ones over the years). Most expensive would have been the Callaway driver I bought just when I was starting to get serious about the game and still believed the latest and greatest was worth the extra cash.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I play an old Wilson PW that someone found in their garage and gave to me as my GW. Replaced the grip with a PURE DTX, putting the total cost at just under $5.

Most expensive was probably my Adams Speedline 9064ls. Bought that new, I think it was $300 at the time.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Cheapest??? Who cares.

Most expensive - I care!!!

My new Titleist 915 D2 Driver. (Yes, I know about the New 917). I'm loving this expensive club. I was fitted for the shaft and loft. Best driver I've ever owned. When I bought this club ( two months ago ), I knew that the new version was right around the corner. But, I could not wait to upgrade from my old Bubble Shaft driver.

I'm thinking that drivers are probably the most expensive club you can add to your bag - except for Scotty Cameron Putters. :)

Edited by CCC
love

Most expensive single club is my Scotty Cameron square back putter.

Least expensive... Hmm. When I first started, I was using but a Tommy Armour driver with some uniflex shaft -- did darn OK for what I needed, but eventually I found that I wanted something better and more suited to me and what I liked, so I picked up an R15 on the cheap when it had been out for quite some time. 

It's not necessary to have the newest and most expensive -- I will say that you should go for whatever the oldest/cheapest model you can that you can still get professionally fit for. 

Andrew M.

Expensive: My Ping G30 Driver.  Way too much $$, IMO.

Cheap:  On vacation in Hawaii, the wife and I rented clubs.  Both sets were Callaway X-Hot.  I hit the hybrids really well.  When I upgraded clubs, I bought a brand new X-Hot 5 hybrid for $49!  Close-out model, but it hits really nice.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

14 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Most expensive would have been the Callaway driver I bought just when I was starting to get serious about the game and still believed the latest and greatest was worth the extra cash.

Somewhat similar for the "most expensive." Probably paid $200.  Other than free clubs, the cheapest were a set of 2 Founders Club hybrids purchased new for $25.  I had to see what a $12.50 (new) club felt like on the course.  At the end of the day, they played like $12.50 clubs.

Brian Kuehn

On 7/5/2016 at 1:38 AM, Natural Patrick said:

L M A O:-D

Why?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

54 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

Why?

Think about $500. I guess if people will spend $400 on a driver. Then why not $500 for a putter. I have spent $1200 on a full set of irons, but never $500 on one club. What was your handicap before you bought the $500 putter and what is it now?

8 hours ago, Natural Patrick said:

Think about $500. I guess if people will spend $400 on a driver. Then why not $500 for a putter. I have spent $1200 on a full set of irons, but never $500 on one club. What was your handicap before you bought the $500 putter and what is it now?

Part of the cost is the extensive fitting. Best fitting system out there period. The putter is then custom made for you. It will be the last putter he ever buys.

FWIW, I spent $75 on a putter fitting and never looked back. I then had my E-bay Scotty ($115) bent to my specs.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!