IGNORED

Cheapest/most expensive club you ever bought?

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Part of the cost is the extensive fitting. Best fitting system out there period. The putter is then custom made for you. It will be the last putter he ever buys.

FWIW, I spent $75 on a putter fitting and never looked back. I then had my E-bay Scotty ($115) bent to my specs.

Curious as to how you know it will be the last putter he ever buys?

19 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

Curious as to how you know it will be the last putter he ever buys?

Assuming he putts the same way his entire life, he will not need to change putter because it is customized for his swing.  However, one thing I find is that if you truly intend to improve, you will need to make changes unless you are putting incredibly well now.  So he will probably need to change it if he intends to improve his game more than one or two strokes

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had a lot of work done with my driver when the shaft broke - eventually they replaced it, but only after some odd hijinks and mistakes at the store I was at.  When it was finally done, they gave me the new driver (replacement), and put on new multicompound grip (taped to my preferences) for free.  It was actually the 'limited' version of my original - so it was an upgrade for me anyway - a serious upgrade really as the 'regular' version had a much worse shaft, and an adjustable hosel (which caused the problem in the first place and I don't use or need).

While I was waiting for this, I was eyeballing a 2H on the clearance rack ($39).  Problem was, it was cut down a couple sizes (I brought my identical 4H into the store to compare and see what the gap was and noted they were the same length).

Manager noticed and asked if I was interested, I commented on the length and he offered to replace the shaft and cut it custom to offset from my 4H.  I wasn't interested as a shaft would be more than the club.  He offered to do it for free, AND include the grip for free.

Then, they gave me a $50 gift card for all the trouble with the driver.

So - let's see:  that $39 hybrid came with

• Upgrade on my driver (thanks Nike, but the store facilitated it all)
  • New shaft on the 2H cut to length and install (store)
  • two new grips and install (store)
  • $50 in store credit (store)

that's the cheapest club I've ever gotten - and it's a great club and still in my bag

and this from a stock golf store (Golf Galaxy)

(oh, and later I was at Dick's and asked if they had the cover for this model (Nike VR Pro ii) and they had a couple and gave one to me for free also)

I have positive stories for just about every golf store I've been to actually....these guys and others.

Bill - 

• Administrator
9 hours ago, pganapathy said:

Assuming he putts the same way his entire life, he will not need to change putter because it is customized for his swing.  However, one thing I find is that if you truly intend to improve, you will need to make changes unless you are putting incredibly well now.  So he will probably need to change it if he intends to improve his game more than one or two strokes

That's not how the Edel putter fitting system works. Your putter is often your putter for life, as it's fit to the way you see square and weighted for how you feel distance.

Those don't really change.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 hours ago, iacas said:

That's not how the Edel putter fitting system works. Your putter is often your putter for life, as it's fit to the way you see square and weighted for how you feel distance.

Those don't really change.

To a certain extent I do agree with you.  Assuming you don't change the putting stance and grip much this is true.  However, if you change it a great deal, as we have seen various professionals do, it can have a huge impact.  For example look at how Michelle Wie putts now.  Bet she couldn't use the same putter as when she was standing upright.  That is what I meant.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

The most expensive were my set of AP2's bought them the day after they were released, cost me a fortune.

Had 350 dollar scotty putter, traded it for a 130 dollar nike. 2nd best set of irons I ever had was a 150 dollar set of wilsons, 2nd best hybrid I ever owned was a 25 dollar store brand club that I played for 5 years til the shaft cracked. Price rarely determines quality in golf. Ive had great gear that was expensive, and cheap gear that was fantastic! The key is to know quality when u see it esp when buying cheap. U have to know what your doing. But golf can be done on the cheap if u educate yourself.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, pganapathy said:

To a certain extent I do agree with you.  Assuming you don't change the putting stance and grip much this is true.  However, if you change it a great deal, as we have seen various professionals do, it can have a huge impact.  For example look at how Michelle Wie putts now.  Bet she couldn't use the same putter as when she was standing upright.  That is what I meant.

It takes a significant change (not a change in grip, really, though loft might need to be adjusted if you forward press a lot more or less with one grip over another) to make an Edel putter fit go bad.

In other words… it generally doesn't happen.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Cheapest: a V-steel 3 wood I gave $9.99 for.  Most expensive: a 5 wood I assembled from parts totaling about 60 bucks.  Although I recently acquired a 3 wood to match the 5 wood: it remains to be seen if it can displace the V-steel...a club I've been carrying a couple years.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Cheapest is mizuno jpx gap wedge $19.99 used.Most expensive is M2 driver and SC putter,$250 each.Irons $200 Other wedges $60 Other woods $150 and $100 staff bag.So thats $1030 for everything.

Expensive.... I guess my Titleist 910 d3 for 3 bills.

Percentage wise, I guess it would be either my putter or new driver which were new models bought at 45% off list price.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Most expensive? SeeMore putter $300. It's sitting in the "alternate" bag. Yes it cost less than my driver. It's the most expensive because it's not being used.

Cheapest? My Odyssey White Dart 48" putter $60.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Most expensive: My G30 driver, had it fit and properly shortened and reweighted £250

Least expensive: My Rustique 58 wedge, had the right shaft and lie angle, love it,  from eBay for £25

The most I have spend on an individual club was $150 on a demo G30 driver in great shape last January at Golfsmith.  The least has been $1.00... Snake eyes wedge, a Highpoint putter, etc.  I just picked up a CG14 60* wedge in mint condition at Roger Dunn for $20.

I did spend over $900 on my Callaway XR OS irons, but I was able to cash out a bunch of company award points for Callaway gift cards, so it was less than $250 fitted out the door.

I have always been a budget minded golfer, and with the exception of my Callaways, will buy used or a previous year's offering at a discount.  I've been doing this since the 70's.

John

My most expensive single club is my Edel putter at 400 that is currently in the bag.  I think it has made a huge difference in my putting game and I am pretty sure I will have it forever.  It gives me confidence that I haven't had before 

My cheapest club was a used Nickent Ironwood (first hybrid I ever saw) and I had that in my bag for years.  It cost me 20 dollars at the range I always used to go to.  It was so easy to hit and I loved that club.  It replaced my 7W that I couldn't hit for the life of me.  Eventually I picked up a Taylormade hybrid and gave the Nickent to my younger cousin but sometimes I wish I would have hung on to it

All in all, I think its amazing to sit here and think if the price difference on these two clubs that changed my game dramatically 

On 7/5/2016 at 9:49 PM, Natural Patrick said:

Think about $500. I guess if people will spend $400 on a driver. Then why not $500 for a putter. I have spent $1200 on a full set of irons, but never $500 on one club. What was your handicap before you bought the $500 putter and what is it now?

Who cares what someone else spent on a club, whether it was a driver or putter.

Most expensive:  Edel Putter.  It's tied with my Titleist Driver (the only driver I've ever bought new) until you count the fitting cost.

Least expensive:  saw a 1-iron in a bin at Roger Dunn for $5.  Bought it so at least I have one to show off and/or use for protection from lightning. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Most expensive would be driver or 3 wood which were about $400 each. Cheapest would be a wedge or my 2 hybrid ($140).

Note: This thread is 2831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!