IGNORED

2016 Rio Olympics Thread (Sport Only)

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is the stuff I love about the Olympics.  Here is a .gif I found on reddit entitled "grandparents reaction to their grandson winning gold:"

GNuNUbH.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/GNuNUbH.gifv

Looks like their Grandson is Kyle Chalmers, who won the 100m Freestyle last night.

RIOEC8B0692YU_768x432.JPG

And here is a short video showing some more reactions ... kind of puts into perspective just how many people are invested in these athletes lives.  Family, friends, classmates, co-workers.

Also love seeing the happy reactions of the swimmers who might have finished in second or third, or even fourth, but achieved a personal best time and they are just thoroughly enjoying their Olympic experience.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Lastly: My new favorite Olympian, Swiss BVB Player Isabelle Forrer. I was so sad that it was cold and rainy during the game last night. :-(

Isabella Forrer.jpg

Her partner isn't bad either:

Spoiler

Anouk Verge-Depre:

_Womens-beach-volleyball-pictures-2016-rio-olympics-16 (1).jpg

volley.jpg

Anouk-Verge-Depre-SUI-6697.jpg

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

At the kids swimming lessons just sitting here bored ... Really wanna throw on the trunks and jump in and practice my strokes!

I have Olympic fever!

(NBC still sucks though)

1 hour ago, natureboy said:

Her partner isn't bad either:

Hide contents

Anouk Verge-Depre:

_Womens-beach-volleyball-pictures-2016-rio-olympics-16 (1).jpg

volley.jpg

Anouk-Verge-Depre-SUI-6697.jpg

Yeah, I was watching the women's beach volleyball all afternoon and there was a pretty serious wrist injury, but I should be okay by Monday. 

• Upvote 2

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

24 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

At the kids swimming lessons just sitting here bored ... Really wanna throw on the trunks and jump in and practice my strokes!

I have Olympic fever!

(NBC still sucks though)

Good ur kids are in lessons, don't EVER let them join a swim club.  Worst sport ever for parents, esp in TX.  My kid did it 4 straight summers.  You sit in 102° heat for 3 hours, only to watch ur kid perform for 7 min.  It sucks.  

I tell her all the time I'm so glad she quit swim (and dance, but that's another story) for INDOOR volleyball.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

15 hours ago, Gunther said:

Good ur kids are in lessons, don't EVER let them join a swim club.  Worst sport ever for parents, esp in TX.  My kid did it 4 straight summers.  You sit in 102° heat for 3 hours, only to watch ur kid perform for 7 min.  It sucks.  

I tell her all the time I'm so glad she quit swim (and dance, but that's another story) for INDOOR volleyball.

My daughter did it for over 10 years. I volunteered to cook burgers and hot dogs just to have something to do. Watching paint dry is a pretty close equivalent.

• Upvote 1

- Shane

17 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Well. the US women just lost the Olympics.

After all that fussing about compensation, now they are in line for pay cut.

The just won the World Cup, so give them a break please. Where are the Men???

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The just won the World Cup, so give them a break please. Where are the Men???

We're talking about football? To be fair, the men's competition is completely different; only young players (< 23 y/o?) are allowed to compete, except for less than a handfull players in the squad. Very strange actually, but it's because of the already full calender of men's football (World Cup, Copa America, Euro Cup, club competitions already started etc.)

Tonight the finals of the 100m sprint women. For me it's almost impossible to watch (3:30 am), and to wake up for those 11 seconds of sprint is a bit too much to ask. Hopefully Schippers will get her gold medal.

~Jorrit

When they say lapping the field, I always thought of track and field but this... I missed the telecast but the gif in the article tells most of the story.

13SWIM-1911-superJumbo-v3.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sports/olympics/katie-ledecky-800-freestyle-gold.html?_r=0

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

When they say lapping the field, I always thought of track and field but this... I missed the telecast but the gif in the article tells most of the story.

13SWIM-1911-superJumbo-v3.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/13/sports/olympics/katie-ledecky-800-freestyle-gold.html?_r=0

She could have showered and dressed before the others finished.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Doh!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Doh!

at everything except sports! :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

In the movies:

In real life:

Do yourself a favor and rewatch Farah's win with this in the background:

Steve

30 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

In the movies:

In real life:

Do yourself a favor and rewatch Farah's win with this in the background:

Mo Farah's finishing speed is without equal among distance runners. The Africans set a fast pace for a championship 10K, but they needed to go out on a sub-27 pace from the start and take the kick out of his legs, and they didn't have the courage do it.

Farah hasn't lost a major international final in five years; unless one of the Kenyans pulls a John Ngugi in the 5000 next weekend, that streak's not likely to come to an end.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Wayde Van Niekerk!

People said Michael Johnson's world record at 400 meters would never be broken, but it has just been surpassed by an athlete coached by a 74-year-old grandmother.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

59 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Wayde Van Niekerk!

People said Michael Johnson's world record at 400 meters would never be broken, but it has just been surpassed by an athlete coached by a 74-year-old grandmother.

That was a great story, plus he won from lane 8, amazing!  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!