IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Some of you may consider that not playing a ‘Trump course’ has little effect on Trump. Hell even if a course of his tanks ...it’s no real damage to him. However you would be contributing to the loss of many employees who very well may be hard working and good people. Maintenance staff, cooks, etc. Just like movie pirating...you’re not damaging the multimillionaire actors and producers, you’re screwing the gaffers, grips and stage hands. Just a thought.

Shhhhhhhh...

Let ‘em stick to the munies.  The fewer that play, means a better pace of play for me!  ;-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Politics and golf merging, interesting.  I usually look at golf as my getaway from everything.  In this instance I think playing one of his courses would cause me to consider my political views and bring some level of discomfort to my safe and happy place.  So....a big orange fat hairy NO!

WITB:  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png M5 10.5 degree with GraphiteDesign Tour AD IZ shaft,  M2 3-Wood, 3-hybrid and 5-hybrid,  P790 6I-PW, 52 and 58 degree Vokey wedges  and 64 degree 088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png Hi-Toe wedge and Tour Spider putter.  088539C8-1A10-4551-9AC5-9770625CCBB0.png.328b5e9003a7a51f646d356f617dff83.png TP5X or Callaway Chrome Soft X balls.  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align grips.

48 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Just like movie pirating

Poor analogy. Movie pirating is stealing. Not playing a golf course is, well, not playing a golf course.

1 hour ago, FLOG4 said:

The proof is in the pudding

I don't play the NYC Trump course for two reasons. The first is, well, never mind. The second is that, IMO, the course and the golfing experience is simply not worth the money. While the course was in good shape when I last played a few years ago, the layout was very repetitive, and the views were, on the whole, kinda grim. IMO, there are a lot better values in the NYC area.

26 minutes ago, chspeed said:

Poor analogy. Movie pirating is stealing. Not playing a golf course is, well, not playing a golf course.

No it isn’t at all. I’m not comparing the unethical or criminal act of pirating or banning a course...I’m talking about the effect it has on the person/institution as the cause of such action. Refusing to see a movie or play a course has zero affect on the top end people in the long run. It’s those who are in the ‘working class’ sector that are most affected.  

And based on why you don’t play your Trump course this isn’t about you.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

IMO the only legitimate and logical reason to say No is if you don't consider the course worth the money or you can't afford it. Anyone who says they wouldn't play if they didn't have to pay.... I don't know, that just makes no sense to me. You're telling me you can't play a course and enjoy it for what it is because of who owns it? It just boggles my mind.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Refusing to see a movie or play a course has zero affect on the top end people in the long run. It’s those who are in the ‘working class’ sector that are most affected.  

I strongly disagree. But that's a socioeconomic discussion that will inevitably turn political, and regardless is outside the scope of both this thread, and this site in general.

I believe is violates the emoluments clause when he plays his own course, given the attendant money that must be paid by the government to cover staff, security, et.al.  And while my fees will not make him rich enough to retire, or pay off his loans, I cannot even think of supporting him in my own little way, given the way he is already grifting us.  

Edited by DrMJG
  • Like 1

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Y'all making me read this thread too much lately. Let's try and keep the politics out of it, thanks.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, billchao said:

Y'all making me read this thread too much lately. Let's try and keep the politics out of it, thanks.

Hard to keep them separated given the question.  One thread on a political site is now all twisted up on the topic of how honestly he plays the game.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

6 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

Hard to keep them separated given the question.

Understandable, but I don't see a reason we can't discuss the merits of the golf courses themselves without involving personal views on politics. Even if your reasoning for not playing his courses is politically motivated, a statement like this is an invitation for a flame war:

13 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

I cannot even think of supporting him in my own little way, given the way he is already grifting us.  

Perhaps there's a more diplomatic way to state your position: "I won't play his courses because I don't agree with him politically and don't want to support him." Can you see the difference?

11 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

One thread on a political site is now all twisted up on the topic of how honestly he plays the game.

I'm well aware of those articles about his golf game and didn't post them anywhere here. Hopefully others will do the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Perhaps the mods might consider putting this thread in abeyance.  Given the timing to the start of the topic, I think it was expected to become political.  If it had been started as about the courses and not right after an important political news event, I would more than readily agree with you.  My choice of words is a statement of what I believe, sorry you feel that I was too harsh; you obviously don't follow me on pure politics sites.  (Probably a good thing.) I did not wish to offend; sorry if I did.

5 minutes ago, DrMJG said:

My choice of words is a statement of what I believe, sorry you feel that I was too harsh; you obviously don't follow me on pure politics sites.  (Probably a good thing.) I did not wish to offend; sorry if I did.

I'm very hard to offend. I'm merely pointing out that your choice of words is often what starts "discussions" about politics.

Bill

My Swing Thread

• iacas changed the title to Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

It's hard these days to keep politics out of things, especially when someone in public life owns something you enjoy. That being said, I really don't care if the President owns a course or not; given the chance, there are several Trump courses I'd love to play; the number 1 course on my bucket list is Turnberry, and yes I would play in a heartbeat given the chance. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, iggywriter said:

It's hard these days to keep politics out of things, especially when someone in public life owns something you enjoy. That being said, I really don't care if the President owns a course or not; given the chance, there are several Trump courses I'd love to play; the number 1 course on my bucket list is Turnberry, and yes I would play in a heartbeat given the chance. 

Thanks for keeping it about the courses.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 3/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

You're telling me you can't play a course and enjoy it for what it is because of who owns it? It just boggles my mind.

This happens in a variety of businesses though not just golf courses. I dont really understand why that boggles your mind. 

People avoid going to certain restaurants or buy certain brands of clothing because of the owner or something that the owner said or did. 

If I don't like the owner (for whatever reason, political, personal, etc) and there are other options available that are just as good or better (or even a slight step down), why should I choose to support that owner's course/restaurant/brand? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

I also agree and like the fact that you can vote with your spending, regardless of which side of the fence you stand on.

I'd be hard pressed to judge any consumer who wanted to either support or not support a person or company based on their values. So basically if you seek out Trump courses to show support, or avoid them to not give them your patronage (or cash), I think it's not just fine, but a nice way to promote the values that you believe in. Both cases the consumer to me has every right to do so.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If I had the chance to play Turnberry, I’d play Turnberry. Is Trump my cup of tea? Not exactly. But I can’t remember the last time I splashed one into a bunker because I was thinking about the owner of the course.

Driver: :tmade: M1 9.0*

3W: :wilson: mid-90’s piece of junk.

3-PW: :tmade: RAC OS

Wedges: :vokey: 52* 56* 60*

Flatstick: :ping: iWi B60

Instagram: @hack_nicklaus

Note: This thread is 1543 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!