IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, metaswinger said:

After the last 6 months?

Me? Nope.

The last month has solidified my "no" to a "never", but to be honest there are few course I am willing to pay such a price for.
From what little I have investigated his courses range from $200 to $400 for a round.

I would pay that for Pebble Beach and any course in Ireland or Scotland.

Trump courses are probably well maintained and look nice, but I get the sense most of them are "great" because the owner has said so, not because they have a history behind them.

But then again, what do I know!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

depends on the golf and nothing else - frankly, it could be the best course ever, but I can't afford most of them

now - I wouldn't attend Trump University, nor would I attend Laureate University either.  Because the product is terrible, not the politics behind it.

• Like 2

Bill - 

I wouldn't go out of my way to play any of them, no.  The only three I'd consider are Turnberry and Aberdeen in Scotland, and Doonbeg in Ireland.  I played Doonbeg about 12 years ago, before Trump bought it.  Its a lovely course, but the price was substantially higher than the nearby great courses with a century more tradition.  Given the choices, I'd prefer the traditional course.  The same applies to a place like Kingsbarns, which is a brilliant course, but not worth 30% more than the Old Course 10 miles away.  I know Turnberry has tradition on its side, but there are enough good courses in that area that I could fill a week with great golf and not miss it.  I can play Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, and Murcar and not miss playing Trump Aberdeen.  

Just like @rehmwa said above, my objections are primarily over the value, rather than the politics.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Meh. I don't like his political views but that doesn't mean I dislike his golf courses. I'd play them.

I have said from day 1 of his campaign that this is all a marketing stunt. He wanted to proliferate his brand (his name). He has been wildly successful at this. Even beyond what I first imagined he would do with this marketing plan. 

I'll give you an example. Five years ago (or there abouts, I don't remember exactly now) while traveling in China one of my US colleagues was talking about the apprentice. We laughed about Donald Trump, every person there not from the US had no idea who Donald Trump was. None. Flash forward to two weeks ago at a dinner in Shanghai all the non-US people wanted to talk to me about was Donald Trump. Five years ago if he tried to build a condominium complex in Shanghai nobody would know what the hell Trump Condo's were. Today every one of them would know. I'd call that pretty successful brand recognition. He has exponentially increased his brand value on a global scale. 

• Like 2

Michael

Sure I would if the oppruntunity presented itself. It's a golf course, and I especially like to play courses I have never played before. The owner of the course is of no consequence to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

His courses are out of my price range. I would rather save to play Pebble or St. Andrews. 

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Speaking outside of the current political climate, I would definitely play, if it falls into my price range.  Of course, the chances of it falling into my range are very small!  Now, if I were to tell my wife that I am playing his course, she would threaten to leave me before watching me give a penny to him.  She has already threatened to move to Canada if he wins!

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

If they fell into my price range, would avoid them playing as a single, but not with friends. I took lessons from a pro who worked on one of his courses, if a pro I want to work with is based on one of his courses, I have no choice.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I might not seek them out, but I wouldn't blacklist them either.   I do not agree with many of his political views and find him completely obnoxious on some topics, however he is an extreme example of someone at, or near the top, of an organization who is rather horrible yet the majority of people who work there are perfectly nice people who shouldn't have his views taken out on them either.

• Upvote 1

—Adam

1 minute ago, imsys0042 said:

I might not seek them out, but I wouldn't blacklist them either.

Good points.  And this is pretty much where I would fall too.  It's a safe bet I won't be playing his courses, but that's because he charges more than I think they are worth.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Good points.  And this is pretty much where I would fall too.  It's a safe bet I won't be playing his courses, but that's because he charges more than I think they are worth.

Thanks.   I get the feeling that a lot of what he promotes under his brand is like that, although like anything it's all in the eyes of the buyer if they are satisfied.

To me, he is very showy with his money.  That actually turns me off of his products and properties.   I'm not wealthy, but I grew up caddying at a country club.   It was old money, and they didn't show their money in a flashy way.   You wouldn't know who was a multi-millionaire and who had a good paying job and was able to fit the place in their budget but it might be a bit of a stretch.   Very nice group of people overall.

—Adam

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Probably out of my price range, but why not. I also think it would be fun to play a round of golf with Bill Clinton. Too many people spend way too much time demonizing people.

- Shane

4 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Thanks.   I get the feeling that a lot of what he promotes under his brand is like that, although like anything it's all in the eyes of the buyer if they are satisfied.

To me, he is very showy with his money.  That actually turns me off of his products and properties.   I'm not wealthy, but I grew up caddying at a country club.   It was old money, and they didn't show their money in a flashy way.   You wouldn't know who was a multi-millionaire and who had a good paying job and was able to fit the place in their budget but it might be a bit of a stretch.   Very nice group of people overall.

I am weary of going somewhere and paying for something when the owner tells me it is "the best" or "great". Especially when it is well past my budget allowance.
I understand with DT it is about Marketing, but his sales pitch of "best courses" etc.... seems desperate. I understand it is marketing and that this is the game, but it dissuades me.

I have to imagine there are 10 courses you could play which are more prestigious and worth the exorbitant cost. And none of the owners of the 10 courses are telling you how their course is the "best"
But once again this is all opinion!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

If we are only talking golf then I would play if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.  More than likely I wont be playing any of his courses anytime soon... maybe never as they are not near me.

There are many great courses that have earned the title because of time.  Just because he says they are great, that does not mean they are.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note: This thread is 1528 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!