IGNORED

Trump Courses - Would You Pay to Play One Now?

Note: This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

22 minutes ago, drmevo said:

I think there is more to consider than politics at this point.  If Bill Cosby owned a comedy club, I would avoid it for the same reasons I would avoid Trump's golf courses.

I agree.   Deciding to not be bothered, or be bothered, is a case by case basis for me.  Trump is the owner and front man of his company and properties.  That has more of a direct impact that other cases in the past few years.   He also is very closely involved with his properties.   he doesn't just buy something and tell them where to send the checks.

I'd argue that differing politics should rarely be a case to engender such action.   However politics now encompasses a large number of issues that are outside the core political realm of economics, education, public safety and the military.   Many of those issues generate much more emotional responses and hence stronger reactions.  Trump has taken positions on some subjects that makes me very angry and hence I would not support him.

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/11/2016 at 11:57 AM, Elmer said:

So does the "architecture or playability of Trump courses" make it worth the cost? Or is the high cost due to the name and notoriety?

We have a course around town that charged $180 a round during the summer because all the high spenders come into town for track season.

it is a nice course, but not sure it is $180 nice!
There are other courses which may not look as nice, but are more playable or more challenging?

Really! I bet they would have awesome pudding pops there. :-P

Do you research gas stations before you buy gas to make sure that none of it is owned by terrorist organizations? Do you make sure that any clothing you buy was not produced in a country where there are no child labor laws? Golf clubs? Balls? It seems those would be more worthy causes to me. My mother-in-law refuses to buy or even consume Heinz ketchup to this day based on whole John Kerry association. It's crazy.

- Shane

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Do you research gas stations before you buy gas to make sure that none of it is owned by terrorist organizations? Do you make sure that any clothing you buy was not produced in a country where there are no child labor laws? Golf clubs? Balls? It seems those would be more worthy causes to me. My mother-in-law refuses to buy or even consume Heinz ketchup to this day based on whole John Kerry association. It's crazy.

Baby, meet bathwater.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

Explain please?

Just because someone doesn't research every single thing they spend money on doesn't mean they can't decide not to give money to companies they already know they dislike.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Just now, jamo said:

Just because someone doesn't research every single thing they spend money on doesn't mean they can't decide not to give money to companies they already know they dislike.

So the logic fits the Trump / golf course scenario presented here but not other areas where your decision to spend money on something might support bad guys... :hmm:

- Shane

16 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

So the logic fits the Trump / golf course scenario presented here but not other areas where your decision to spend money on something might support bad guys... :hmm:

I think he's saying that Trump makes it easier to not financially support given he places his name on everything he owns.  

• Like 1

Joe Paradiso

33 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I assure you my local gas stations are not owned by terrorists.

So you'd have no problem going to a club or restaurant owned by Cosby?

2 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I think he's saying that Trump makes it easier to not financially support given he places his name on everything he owns.  

Right.  It's impossible to follow every product all the way up the supply chain.  That's ridiculous.  From some accounts Trump's face is on the water bottles at his courses.  I've never been to one so I don't know if that's true, but I'm sure his name is all over everything.  What I'm saying is replace "Trump" on the water bottles (if that's a real thing) and everywhere else with "Cosby." Do you still feel the same way @CarlSpackler?

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Right.  It's impossible to follow every product all the way up the supply chain.  That's ridiculous.  From some accounts Trump's face is on the water bottles at his courses.  I've never been to one so I don't know if that's true, but I'm sure his name is all over everything.  What I'm saying is replace "Trump" on the water bottles (if that's a real thing) and everywhere else with "Cosby." Do you still feel the same way @CarlSpackler?

I think it is ridiculous to say that if all other things being equal (price, location, course condition, etc.) someone wouldn't play a course because it is owned by a person. This thread keeps going there making it, as I have said before, NOT about golf courses and architecture. It's a political thread discussing DT who happens to own golf courses. We aren't even talking about common features of a DT golf course that make them unappealing. Perhaps if all DT owned courses started with a par 3, then we could be discussing it here why that is good or bad.

I'm not a moderator, but I believe this thread should be in The Grill Room with the other politically motivated stuff.

- Shane

21 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Does this mean you're equating what Trump did to what Cosby did?

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

What they allegedly did.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

45 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to "boycott" Trump's courses if he offends you, while not knowing allegiances of other offensive names with other companies you may support.  I do the very same thing in other areas of life.

I won't watch Clooney, Affleck, Roberts, Damon and any number of others' movies because they offend me.  I know that most Hollywood actors would also offend me but as I am not directly aware of their viewpoints, I'm happy to watch their movies.  

I'm not watching anywhere near the NFL this year as I have in the past, down probably 100% from past years.  I'm not happy with the BLM agitators and so I'm voicing my displeasure this way, as are millions of others, as it happens.  I do watch the Cowboys, however.  

I just don't see this as hypocritical.

• Upvote 2

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I would never choose to play one, no.

But if a trump course was a tournament site or if the round was free, then whatever. I actually played one of my best ever rounds at Trump Colts Neck, though. I shot -4 on a kind of a blustery fall day. Its still tied for my lowest ever score in relation to par. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

12 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I think it's perfectly reasonable to "boycott" Trump's courses if he offends you, while not knowing allegiances of other offensive names with other companies you may support.  I do the very same thing in other areas of life.

I won't watch Clooney, Affleck, Roberts, Damon and any number of others' movies because they offend me.  I know that most Hollywood actors would also offend me but as I am not directly aware of their viewpoints, I'm happy to watch their movies.  

I'm not watching anywhere near the NFL this year as I have in the past, down probably 100% from past years.  I'm not happy with the BLM agitators and so I'm voicing my displeasure this way, as are millions of others, as it happens.  I do watch the Cowboys, however.  

I don't agree with a single one of your opinions here - but I totally agree and respect with your solutions, and agree it's not hypocritical. :)

Most of the things that some people find objectionable about Trump have little to do with politics other than we only know more of them because he's running for president.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I'm pretty much opposite. I don't like a lot of their views on stuff, but I respect their acting abilities and enjoy their movies. That said, if someone else chooses not to patronize someone based on how they feel about that person, then it's not my place to really convince them otherwise. As much as I dislike Hillary Clinton, if she had a really nice course I'd probably still play it.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

38 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I think it is ridiculous to say that if all other things being equal (price, location, course condition, etc.) someone wouldn't play a course because it is owned by a person. This thread keeps going there making it, as I have said before, NOT about golf courses and architecture. It's a political thread discussing DT who happens to own golf courses. We aren't even talking about common features of a DT golf course that make them unappealing. Perhaps if all DT owned courses started with a par 3, then we could be discussing it here why that is good or bad.

I'm not a moderator, but I believe this thread should be in The Grill Room with the other politically motivated stuff.

The common feature is that they are owned by Trump. You can take politics completely out of it, but based on what he himself has said and what he has been accused of both before that tape came out and after (and where his "locker room talk" just happens to match exactly what he was accused of, even before the footage was public), I believe that at least some of his accusers are telling the truth. That is why I compared him to Cosby.

Why is that relevant here?  Well, the title asked, "would you play one of his courses?" It's no secret that I don't agree with his politics but this is not political - all of the alleged behavior happened before he was a politician.

If enough people feel the same way, perhaps he will be forced to sell some of his courses. I've read that some of his other businesses are not doing so hot. Then we can discuss how the courses are faring post-Trump ownership.

37 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Yes. Sexual assault. Also, going into underage girls' dressing rooms (an allegation made by numerous accusers) as well as adult women's dressing rooms (another thing he publicly bragged about). Using his power of celebrity to think he can do whatever he wants to women. Sorry to hash it out here, we've all seen the news, but you asked.

That's the last I'll say about it because it's beating a dead horse at this point, but for people to act like it's no big deal is mind-boggling to me. Many or most of those same people now have extremely low opinions of Cosby (as they should). What's the difference?

Edited by drmevo

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I'm saying that just because I don't have the time or effort to do background research on all of the products I buy to find out which ones have objectionable owners or business practices, that doesn't mean I shouldn't not avoid the ones I already know I find objectionable.

If I buy a bag of apples every week, I'm assuming some of them are going to suck. Just because I can't be sure some of them aren't secretly mealy doesn't mean I should still buy the one that's spotted and smushy - the one I know sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

I forgot to add ... I guess this means you're not a big fan of the Oceans 11 series movies? ;)

Note: This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!