IGNORED

I reacted poorly to a situation on the course

TryingtoPlay
Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I was out playing and had to deal with extremely rude behavior from another player in a group behind me. My round began fairly well despite poorly playing the first hole and I went on to par both the second and third holes and I should have at least made par on the fourth. A poor wedge shot cost me a shot however  My swing began to break down on the fifth and by the par three sixth I was really struggling. I ended up hitting a ball out of bounds and topping another. A player from a group behind me, playing the fifth hole mind you, decided to come up and stand on the fringe of the sixth green as his partner played his approach shot into the fifth green. I waved him off as I was still chipping in. He refused to move, telling me to pick up on the hole as he didn't want to wait for me when he got to the sixth tee box. Let's just say that I did not react well to this at all. I didn't hit him or anything, but I was really angry. Angrier than anyone should get on a golf course. I am not sure how I should have handled it, but I am not thrilled about how I did at all.

• Upvote 2

Man, I totally feel like way less of an asshole compared to how that guy treated you.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He was on the 5th and you were coming up onto the 6th Green?  I don't see why he'd be waiting for you on the 6th tee ground, and if his partner was still just hitting his second into 5 -- then your pace doesn't seem to be an issue.  I would call for a marshall and let the course know about the breach -- you paid to be there, just like he did.

44 minutes ago, TryingtoPlay said:

Let's just say that I did not react well to this at all. I didn't hit him or anything, but I was really angry. Angrier than anyone should get on a golf course. 

You will hopefully play this game a long time and meet all sorts of people.  Some are going to be like this boor. As you know, we should never let someone else manipulate us.  People like that jerk get off on making us react.  The best retort is to simply ignore them.  Next time play the shot and if he is in the way shout "Fore" just prior to hitting.  He might think twice before getting in your way again.  ;-)

Brian Kuehn

Similar situation happened to a friend and myself. We just told the other guys to play through, and we would play behind them. Solved the problem. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Wow.. That's no way to proceed.. You have a right to be angry. The 23 year old version of me would have attempted to hit him.

Next time, take out your phone, walk up somewhat close to him (maybe 20' or so), and take a picture.  Make it really obvious.

You'd be amazed how many people simply back down when you "threaten" to photograph them.  I've used it in several potentially confrontational situations, and it works like a charm.

• Upvote 1

- John

There are too many psycho's out there today to allow situations like this to escalate without intervention from the course.  I'd have called the pro shop and requested a Marshall be sent out to deal with the situation.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, TryingtoPlay said:

A player from a group behind me, playing the fifth hole mind you, decided to come up and stand on the fringe of the sixth green as his partner played his approach shot into the fifth green. I waved him off as I was still chipping in. He refused to move, telling me to pick up on the hole as he didn't want to wait for me when he got to the sixth tee box. Let's just say that I did not react well to this at all. I didn't hit him or anything, but I was really angry. Angrier than anyone should get on a golf course. I am not sure how I should have handled it, but I am not thrilled about how I did at all.

I am a bit confused by this.  Is the course layout so that the sixth green is just off the fifth fairway?  Was this guy walking or riding the cart?  While I have hooked one into the wrong fairway and been in the way of another group teeing off before; I have never been close to another green on an aproach shot.

You didn't say exactly how you reacted.  I certainly would have told him in no uncertain terms to get off my green.

I can't even fathom a situation where that person's behavior was justified... He is in your way, on your green, while his playing partner is approaching into the hole behind...? Because he doesn't want to wait on you? Holy mother of rude.

Of course, it's never good to get heated like that just from someone being rude. If someone hits a ball near me intentionally though (to "send a message") all hell would break loose.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

3 hours ago, TryingtoPlay said:

I had never seen anything like it before and I really lost my head with him. 

It's weird. There is something akin to driving/road rage that happens with some of the ruder people. 

When you say you lost your head, what happened?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

+1 on calling the pro shop.  -1 on letting him through (as someone suggested above) when his partner is still on the previous hole.   If they are all on the 6th green, I'd let him through but not when his partner is still playing the previous hole.   Speaking of "hole," he is an ...hole.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 hours ago, TryingtoPlay said:

So, I was out playing and had to deal with extremely rude behavior from another player in a group behind me. My round began fairly well despite poorly playing the first hole and I went on to par both the second and third holes and I should have at least made par on the fourth. A poor wedge shot cost me a shot however  My swing began to break down on the fifth and by the par three sixth I was really struggling. I ended up hitting a ball out of bounds and topping another. A player from a group behind me, playing the fifth hole mind you, decided to come up and stand on the fringe of the sixth green as his partner played his approach shot into the fifth green. I waved him off as I was still chipping in. He refused to move, telling me to pick up on the hole as he didn't want to wait for me when he got to the sixth tee box. Let's just say that I did not react well to this at all. I didn't hit him or anything, but I was really angry. Angrier than anyone should get on a golf course. I am not sure how I should have handled it, but I am not thrilled about how I did at all.

It says much of your character to examine the situation enough to have regret. That being said, many would have reacted similarly or even worse. I would have been quite angry as well. I commend you for your self examination.

P.s., cut yourself some slack and golf on!

15 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

Next time, take out your phone, walk up somewhat close to him (maybe 20' or so), and take a picture.  Make it really obvious.

You'd be amazed how many people simply back down when you "threaten" to photograph them.  I've used it in several potentially confrontational situations, and it works like a charm.

I'd be really careful with that unless you're open to a physical confrontation from someone who really doesn't like it and doesn't backdown. It's a super passive aggressive move.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

I doubt I would have reacted well, who would? I've never heard of such a thing, I doubt I would have played at all until he left the area and got back to his hole.

Edited by MrDC

Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!