IGNORED

Breaking 80 Thread

Hazsa
Note: This thread is 1620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My goal for this year was to break 80 at least once and I've done it a few times.  I would agree with @Yukari - it generally happens if I manage to stay out of trouble off the tee all the way round.  

If I miss the fairway off the tee (which on my course generally means being in the trees) then I reckon it costs me about 1.5 shots on average.  You only need that to happen a few times and a 'wow excellent 78' becomes an 'oh well 80+ again'.  And that is with every other part of your game staying exactly the same.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

I broke 80 three times this year, and for a few months most rounds were between 80-85, and of course the handful of rounds that were 86+.

I always seem to have 1 or 2 blow up holes, DB or worse, but my main issue is always looking at the scorecard and adding my score throughout the round.  I have learned if I don't pay attention to the scorecard, even though in my mind I kind of know where I am at, it helps to just focus on one shot at a time instead of thinking about a number.

My other issue is when I lose my focus because I expect every swing to be automatic. Usually what happens is I will score well the first 4 holes and think to myself it's going to be a good round, but then just lose focus for a bit and scramble for a few holes. Then on the back, instead of just playing, I start worrying to much about making up strokes, which usually backfires.

Gus

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had an 82 a couple of months ago on one of my easier local courses (a CR 67). I'm a bit gutted that it doesn't look like I'll get any closer this year.

Maybe it was just lightning in a bottle that day, but it almost seems like I've put too much pressure on myself ever since then.

Honestly it happened for me when I focused on keeping the same tempo throughout the round, no matter whether I got bogies or birdies. It's hard to do, but it's one of the things that has really helped me to accelerate my improvement as a golfer.

Obviously one needs good ball striking ability to start with, but if someone is looking to break 80, then I guess he/she already had that part down. 

One thing I'll say, having a reliable tee shot makes it so much easier. Put the ball in play, at worst you are making bogey. (hopefully !)

My goal this past season was to keep the scores in the mid 80s range and happy to say I've been able to do so for the most part.  Breaking 80 at least once will be my goal next year so looking forward to keeping up with this forum thread.  For me, the biggest hurdle will be getting more consistent off the tee, even on my "good" days, I can always count on anywhere between 3-5 lost strokes due to an errant drive.  My lower scores generally seem to come when I'm hitting my irons well enough to recover.

It's funny that it wasn't too long ago that I was thrilled to break 90 here and there, and now I'm talking about trying to break 80, love this game!

Glad to have you all along with me! Lots of things to think about already, one of the most common seems to be 'stay in the moment'. Thing is, that's really damn hard!

In the only round I've played since starting this thread, I shot a 42 on the front 9, parred the really difficult 10th, then started thinking way too far ahead of myself. I forgot how to hit off the tee after that and ended up with an 87.

Autumn/winter weather actually seems to have arrived here now, so I think i'll have to work towards accomplishing this next year. I might come up with some sort of focused practice plan over the Winter, concentrating on ball striking.

This is a goal of mine for the coming season! I've begun to dedicate much more effort and time to practicing my game rather than just hitting it as hard as possible at the range like a few years ago. I am very confident in my short game putting and approach but what gets me is my driver. I am still able to squeeze out several pars with a sporadic birdie with the rest littered with double and single bogey's...and a triple or two. 

My key to breaking 80 will be hitting more conservative drives. I'm able to poke it out there with a 2 iron or fairway consistently but I get comfortable, go for my driver, and next thing you know I'm writing down an 8. I've been able to reach 84 this year with using my long irons and fairway off the tees, so adding about 20 to 40 yards with more consistent driver play and I'll be able to claim my first round in the 70's! It's awesome to look back at a few years ago where I was just beginning and shooting 100+. Fingers crossed and good luck, gentlemen. 

This too is my goal looking towards the spring. I recently moved and joined a new club (5 months ago) and finally feel comfortable on the very tricky, fast greens. Played a 1 day stableford last week and shot a 83 and I started with 3 doubles.  Over the last year I have got all new clubs less my putter. I have fallen in love with my vokey wedges and 915 d2 driver as they collectively have probably shaved at least 5-6 stokes off a round by having a reliable tee shot and short game.

FINALLY!!!!! (fully disclosure, i played solo so I know it technically doesn't count)

Shot a +4 76 at Watters Creek here In Plano, TX. Played from the men's tees (whites). Rating from that tee box is 70.0/126. So I guess adjusted would be +6? Not sure how that works.

How i did it...

GIR/nGIR - 14/18...best ever for me by a long shot

Putts - 36..2 - 1 putts, 14 - 2 putts, 2 - 3 putts. Not my best day putting, but I wasn't wasting strokes trying to get on the green.

Fairways - I drove the ball well, but didn't hit a lot of fairways. My misses driving in the last month have been much better and don't penalize me like they used too. Hitting the ball longer helps, as LSW points out, since I'm still getting closer to the hole. 

It was fun and great to see all the work/lessons come together for a round. Hoping to give it another go today!

Edited by skeedawg
  • Upvote 3

I worked all year to break 80. I had broken 80 in years past but got injured last year and it took me a while to get back up to speed.
 Late summer when I did break 80, I shot a 76. Later shot a 77, 78 and a host of 80's that could of been in the seventies except for a blow up hole, which always seemed to be the 18th...

FIR and GIRs were generally over 50% and if I could make A putt I would of had much lower scores.

Here are some of the things that help my score:

1. Having a second shot to the green - not in the trees, blocked off etc
  2. Chipping close to the hole - this was painful, great when I was on
  3. 2 putting minimum - putting cost me a round in the 70's quite often
  4. Good course management - not going for stupid things that you shouldn't even consider or getting down on yourself when there is plenty of room to score
  5. Keeping stress/tension getting into your hands for important shots
  • Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
8 hours ago, skeedawg said:

Shot a +4 76 at Watters Creek here In Plano, TX. Played from the men's tees (whites). Rating from that tee box is 70.0/126. So I guess adjusted would be +6? Not sure how that works.

76 - 70.0 = 6.0
6.0 * 113/126 = 5.4 differential (or 5.2 if you want to take the 0.96 multiplier right there).

8 hours ago, skeedawg said:

GIR/nGIR - 14/18...best ever for me by a long shot

Putts - 36..2 - 1 putts, 14 - 2 putts, 2 - 3 putts. Not my best day putting, but I wasn't wasting strokes trying to get on the green.

Fairways - I drove the ball well, but didn't hit a lot of fairways. My misses driving in the last month have been much better and don't penalize me like they used too. Hitting the ball longer helps, as LSW points out, since I'm still getting closer to the hole. 

14 nGIR is enough to put you at a 5-9 index pretty consistently. Congrats!

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've only done it twice & both times, it was due to slightly better than average ball striking, but STELLAR putting, which is always my nemesis.    For me, it's all about putting (making absolutely EVERYTHING 4' and in) ... and I'm beginning to believe those rounds were flukes

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I'm in the same boat with the poster that talked about double bogies. I cannot seem to get through 18 holes without at least one. I was shooting 78 or 79 probably one round out of eight until I had to take six weeks off following surgery. I've been back playing for about a month and a half, but at 66 getting back to where I was is harder than I thought it would be. Putting has always been the strongest part of my game. I once shot an 82 while only hitting five greens. I've moved up a set of tees (6600 to 6250) recently due to colder weather and that seems to be helping. I guess I'm like Tiger. My body is fine, but my game still needs work. 

Ugh, I was hoping today was going to be it. I looked strong for most of the round.

shot 84 (par 72). 6,200 yards. I had 9 GIR, 6 nGIR (like, very close nGIR). I had 7 birdie putts for < 10 ft. I missed them all. I had a 4-putt (son of a biscuit...) on a par 5 with a large green. I went up the hill hard, then back down the hill hard, then a lip out for the 4 putt. I had 35 putts total... I had 4 double bogies, 4 single, zero birdies.

Such a strange round.

Conditions were excellent in terms of temperature. Course was in decent shape too for this time of year.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, Valleygolfer said:

I worked all year to break 80. I had broken 80 in years past but got injured last year and it took me a while to get back up to speed.
 Late summer when I did break 80, I shot a 76. Later shot a 77, 78 and a host of 80's that could of been in the seventies except for a blow up hole, which always seemed to be the 18th...

FIR and GIRs were generally over 50% and if I could make A putt I would of had much lower scores.

Here are some of the things that help my score:

1. Having a second shot to the green - not in the trees, blocked off etc
  2. Chipping close to the hole - this was painful, great when I was on
  3. 2 putting minimum - putting cost me a round in the 70's quite often
  4. Good course management - not going for stupid things that you shouldn't even consider or getting down on yourself when there is plenty of room to score
  5. Keeping stress/tension getting into your hands for important shots

I think the two keys to breaking 80 are hitting fairways and avoiding double bogies. Ken Venturi once said "if you see bogey coming; take it" and he was talking to the best players in the world. Most of my rounds in the low 80s have two or more doubles. I cannot tell you how many times while reviewing my round if I give myself a bogie for every double I made, I shoot 78 or 79.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I think the two keys to breaking 80 are hitting fairways and avoiding double bogies. Ken Venturi once said "if you see bogey coming; take it" and he was talking to the best players in the world. Most of my rounds in the low 80s have two or more doubles. I cannot tell you how many times while reviewing my round if I give myself a bogie for every double I made, I shoot 78 or 79.

Hitting fairways is over-rated. I'd change your statement to something like "hit it far and keep it inside the ropes, then hit a lot of greens."

Fairway, rough… doesn't matter much. Hit it far, give yourself a shot to the green, and then get on it or near to it.

• Upvote 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sorry to disagree but I live in North Carolina and the Bermuda rough here can be a real problem. Even though it's November If one misses a fairway at my club it takes a while to even find the ball. Granted some courses don't have much rough, but in the Southeast a lot of courses have US Open type rough. So keeping it in the short grass is imperative.

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Sorry to disagree but I live in North Carolina and the Bermuda rough here can be a real problem. Even though it's November If one misses a fairway at my club it takes a while to even find the ball. Granted some courses don't have much rough, but in the Southeast a lot of courses have US Open type rough. So keeping it in the short grass is imperative.

Yes, on the rare occasions that you have "U.S. Open type rough," hitting fairways can be significantly more important.

Generally speaking, those conditions don't exist.

In the terminology from LSW, the rough you're talking about would be a dark grey shade.

Note: This thread is 1620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!