IGNORED

YouTube Instruction Discussion

RussUK
Note: This thread is 1895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I spend quite a bit of time (most lunch times at work) on you tube watching golf related videos. I generally watch Mark Crossfield's course Vlogs and comment shows as they always cheer me up.

However i've never really used it for swing tips or instruction....until now.

2 guys have recently changed that. Andy and Piers from Me and my Golf have appeared on some of Mark Crossfields videos so i watched a few.

Well, what a refreshing change from the majority of "instructors" on there. They are straight to the point, short and sweet and not filled with the usual golfing jargon. One clip that really got me was in regards to the hips moving forwards, there is a great thread on here about the importance of the hip slide. Thing is it never sunk in for me. The drill they use is so simple. Place an empty shoe box outside the lead foot, take your back swing, then practice getting the lower lead leg to touch the box by moving the hips forward before turning the hips.

Visual things like this really help me, plus the clips are short. A lot of the instruction on youtube is some guy spending 10 minutes talking at you using jargon and buzz words before hitting a shot right at the end. By the time club meets ball i've already got bored and searched for people falling over in hillarious ways.

There is proof out there that golf tips can be given in easy to understand and attention holdng ways. So why do we get these golf "experts" giving golf tips like they are reading the whole of war and peace?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

I spend quite a bit of time (most lunch times at work) on you tube watching golf related videos. I generally watch Mark Crossfield's course Vlogs and comment shows as they always cheer me up.

However i've never really used it for swing tips or instruction....until now.

2 guys have recently changed that. Andy and Piers from Me and my Golf have appeared on some of Mark Crossfields videos so i watched a few.

Well, what a refreshing change from the majority of "instructors" on there. They are straight to the point, short and sweet and not filled with the usual golfing jargon. One clip that really got me was in regards to the hips moving forwards, there is a great thread on here about the importance of the hip slide. Thing is it never sunk in for me. The drill they use is so simple. Place an empty shoe box outside the lead foot, take your back swing, then practice getting the lower lead leg to touch the box by moving the hips forward before turning the hips.

Visual things like this really help me, plus the clips are short. A lot of the instruction on youtube is some guy spending 10 minutes talking at you using jargon and buzz words before hitting a shot right at the end. By the time club meets ball i've already got bored and searched for people falling over in hillarious ways.

There is proof out there that golf tips can be given in easy to understand and attention holdng ways. So why do we get these golf "experts" giving golf tips like they are reading the whole of war and peace?

The problem with video tips on Youtube is it may not apply to your particular swing faults. The instruction can be sound, but may not help you. I watch them at times, but don't apply it to me because it is not what my instructor feels my priority issue is.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• iacas changed the title to YouTube Instruction Rant
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The problem with video tips on Youtube is it may not apply to your particular swing faults. The instruction can be sound, but may not help you. I watch them at times, but don't apply it to me because it is not what my instructor feels my priority issue is.

Right.

Plus…

Generally speaking, yes, the instruction on YouTube is terrible. But you could also remove the words "the" and "on YouTube" and that sentence would be just as accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Right.

Plus…

Generally speaking, yes, the instruction on YouTube is terrible. But you could also remove the words "the" and "on YouTube" and that sentence would be just as accurate.

:-D

:nike:

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The problem with video tips on Youtube is it may not apply to your particular swing faults. The instruction can be sound, but may not help you. 

100% 

I like watching videos that feature an actual lesson where you see a specific prescription for a specific problem. Obviously there are bad lessons, but it's more obvious what's a bad lesson compared to figuring out which of the 37,472 swing fixes is the one for you. Some lessons you actually see the before and after slow motion video and radar numbers so you actually see the improvement quantified.

Reddit is crazy for Me and My Golf and a couple of other channels - Dan Whitaker (spelling?). It's great to learn more about the swing but leave the diagnoses to someone with experience.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

That's odd - I have watched many Me and My Golf videos and I didn't find them significantly more to the point than others.  There is a guy, Robin Symes, for example - who is usually quite brief and to the point - probably moreso than Me and My Golf, imo.  Each instructor kind of has their own style - some golfers probably want a lot of detailed information and some other don't.  

I have watched thousands of golf videos on Youtube and, honestly, the better I get (through lessons) the less point I see in it.  I really don't think it has done me much good over the years.  I don't think it's hurt me any, either . .maybe it did at first.  I still watch golf videos on Youtube but it's purely for entertainment.  I'm not practicing the things they show in their videos.  I might try something I see if it looks good/interesting . .but I'm not watching for that reason.  In my mind, I have kind of seperated "information about *the* golf swing" . .and "information about *my* golf swing".  Information about *the* golf swing is nice to know - but doesn't really help me.  

Youtube instructors I enjoy watching - Clay Ballard, Shawn Clement, Brian Manzella . . .I don't really learn anything from these guys and really haven't learned anything (much) from them - but I do enjoy the videos.  

I watch You Tube golf videos all the time. Mostly Paul Runyon's short game stuff. I use his style of chipping.

I watch others instructors for entertainmen purposes. Not so much for instruction value.  I tend to like the older instructors' videos better. Those older instructors who have a resume of working with some of the PGA/LPGA, and other forign professional golfers. The "old timers" if you will. 

I will also agree, that there are quite a few golf videos out there that are of little value. However, that said, to some individuals, all it takes is one piece of instruction that will help them move up a little in their game. This is why I would never discredit any golf instruction for everyone. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I agree with @Patch

Youtube is best for its intertainment value but it's hard to discredit the instruction completely. My best example right now would be Rick Shiels and Peter Finch. I like their course vlog videos and equipment reviews more than anything, but they both do videos on their practice routines trying to qualify for The Open. Recently they've both talked some about the swing changes they're making and listening to them explain what they're doing makes me think in ways I wouldn't otherwise about what I'm doing in my swing. 

Its not taking a single drill or something but maybe just learning about the swing from a different perspective that I find the most value in. 

My thought, you get what you pay for. It's not to say you can't get anything out of a YouTube instructional video, but you will get to the root of your problem quicker through personal instruction.

- Shane

I pretty much limit my full swing instructional content to this site. For me having too many ideas/opinions leads to tinkering, and not always lower scores.

There are a few people whose videos I like. Adam Bazalgette of Scratch Golf Academy being one. His videos are just like being out on a course with an old pro sharing some common sense tips, nothing deep or fancy.

I tend to stay away from tour pro videos because they tend to make things look/sound so simple, which may be if you have you know....their ability.

10 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

In my mind, I have kind of seperated "information about *the* golf swing" . .and "information about *my* golf swing".  Information about *the* golf swing is nice to know - but doesn't really help me. 

Hopefully not veering (too far) off topic, but I think I've been getting closer and closer to this. It really sunk in this past Saturday before my round as I listened to my buddy talk about the video he had watched the night before and what he was trying with his driver (which "was working" of course).

I realized that we used to go back and forth more and discuss swing mechanics and why I thought it may be right or wrong...but this time, I just sat quietly, nodding my head in agreement. Politely saying, "you might be on to something there," and trying to hold back a smile. ;-)

9 hours ago, golfncowboy said:

My best example right now would be Rick Shiels and Peter Finch. I like their course vlog videos and equipment reviews more than anything

I love those guys. Wish I could play a round with them.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

I tend to watch the videos to figure out what my swing flaw is, I'll go through all the fix videos until I find one that describes what im feeling when i make said poor shot, and then if the advice is sound i may/may not use it,....I mostly dont use them but every now and again i find something good, but as someone else said ive made the most progress through this site

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Agree with many who have said that a lot of the videos may not relate to a persons swing fault, however sometimes you stumble on that one clip that can really help.

Like i say i generally dont watch you tube for its instructional value but sometimes you get a "recommended for you" clip that you just have to watch out of curiosity.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

20 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Agree with many who have said that a lot of the videos may not relate to a persons swing fault, however sometimes you stumble on that one clip that can really help.

Like i say i generally dont watch you tube for its instructional value but sometimes you get a "recommended for you" clip that you just have to watch out of curiosity.

I Like alot of Crossfield's videos because of how he breaks it down, he has several video's for each swing fault and he works each backwards to the possible route cause. this way I've been able to cycle through his videos and be like "Ok im deffo not doing that, but this next video shows what I feel I am doing, I'll try that fix" and then if it doesnt work I go back to the drawing board

I think it depends how you interpret the video's. if you find soemthing that resonates then try it, if it doesnt work then move on,

• Upvote 1

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

If you want to give yourself a headache go on  YouTube and look for tips on pitching. You'll have so much contradictory information you'll be lost.

Besides that the other problem is it's non-interactive. If you are making some terrible swing flaw how is a YouTube video going to help you find that?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

So the question is - are we better off now, with too much info, or pre internet, where much of instruction was pretty much passed down person to person? There's no definitive answer, it's like a super power, use it the wrong way, and everyone will be the worse off.

The thing of YT video is, if a pro says do this, you can slow motion or download it and step through and verify if pro is doing really doing that. Angles and distortion might confuse, but at least there's something to measure. And I think we benefit indirectly from video, as it has helped pros become better teachers.

The thing of it is learning as applied to golf is messy. And all the tech in the world isn't going to change that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

So the question is - are we better off now, with too much info, or pre internet, where much of instruction was pretty much passed down person to person?

We're better off now only when a person can make the right choices.

Otherwise…

Make the wrong choices and you are constantly searching, constantly "trying" something, constantly failing to truly OWN your golf swing.

Also, from another instructor discussing his student, he just sent me this couple of texts:

kk.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!